Windows 10: Upgrade from Pro "N" version to full Pro

Discus and support Upgrade from Pro "N" version to full Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have three machines, one running W10 Pro and the other the "N" version, and a notebook running W10 Home. With the anniversary update coming out, it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kaborka, Jul 24, 2016.

1. kaborka Win User

Upgrade from Pro "N" version to full Pro

I have three machines, one running W10 Pro and the other the "N" version, and a notebook running W10 Home. With the anniversary update coming out, it's going to be a hassle to have to get three different ISOs or let each version download it's own particular update version. I would prefer to have all three running the same version of Pro, so I can use one ISO to upgrade all three machines to the Anniversary build.

I can get a Pro license for the nb running Home, but I'm not sure how to upgrade the Pro N version to Pro full. I tried to find that upgrade in the MS Store but couldn't find it. Is there such an upgrade, or must I purchase a full Pro license?

:)

kaborka, Jul 24, 2016
  2. HarryNoll Win User

I was down graded from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 home during upgrade

I upgraded my Thinkpad 10 from windows 8.1 Pro (came from Lenovo with pro version) to windows 10. When I checked the new version it showed "Home" instead of "Pro". Why didn't it upgrade to the "pro" version? How do I get the Pro version?

HarryNoll, Jul 24, 2016
  3. does the media creation tool creates an image of build 1703 or an older one?

I know this question as been answered, but this is all irrelevant information you brought up in the quotes

flubberducky, Jul 24, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

You can't upgrade Windows 10 PRO N with Windows 10 PRO install media. Downloading and installing Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 (free) converts PRO N to normal PRO except one crucial part: the version and edition as seen by system will not change.

Windows 10 PRO N with Media Feature Pack installed is absolutely identical with normal PRO but the version upgrade sees is N, therefore it can only be upgraded with N install media. It can only be upgraded with PRO N install media, or through Windows Update.

Download Media Feature Pack: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3010081

5. kaborka Win User
    Yes, I understand that the Media Pack adds the features missing from the N version. My question was about if there was some (cheaper) way of changing the Pro N license to a full Pro license, so I can use a single ISO of the anniversary build to upgrade both Pro machines. It's too much of a waste to have each machine separately download its own upgrade to the new build. I've seen Pro licenses as cheap as $15 -- that may be the only way to change Pro N to full Pro.

kaborka, Jul 24, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also, I don't believe you can upgrade N to full Pro so it will use the same ISO file. I believe you will have to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro regular version.

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    I answered that question:

In other words, your only option is to clean install Windows 10 PRO on the machine now running Windows 10 PRO N, completely replacing it.

8. kaborka Win User

Bummer! Thanks for that info.

kaborka, Jul 24, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    I know what that is, believe me!

I run Windows 10 PRO Insider builds on physical and virtual machines in Finnish, Swedish,, English and German, plus Windows 10 Education Insider Previews in English and Finnish. A new build means I make 6 upgrades and create 6 ISO files. In this month we've got 6 new builds, meaning I've done 36 upgrades and ISO images.

10. cereberus Win User
    Good job you are doing your maths in a conventional decimal based system. Try doing the maths in the most insane modern numbering system used by the Danish (rooted in twenty not ten - presumably they used their toes as well historically). If you needed nine languages and six of each, you would need "four (and) half threes" copies (literal danish translation for 54 - and being optional) - LOL

As a Finn used to Swedish, you will like this

Just a Number - Scandinavia and the World

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Pro "N" version to full Pro - Similar Threads - Upgrade Pro version

2. Switch Windows 11 Pro N to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch Windows 11 Pro N to Pro: I installed the Windows 11 Pro N version, which I cannot activate using my existing Windows 10 Pro product key. How can I Switch the installed version, so can I can activate it without the need for a new product key?...
  3. Windows 11 version battle: Which is better, Pro or Pro N?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 version battle: Which is better, Pro or Pro N?: Your operating system is what lets you interact with your PC and take advantage of its hardware capabilities. Therefore, choosing the right operating system is vital. Windows 11 is Microsoft’s latest operating system, but did you know that there are other versions of the...
  4. Change Windows 11 Pro N to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Windows 11 Pro N to Pro: HelloI installed the Windows 11 Pro N version, which I cannot activate using my regular Windows 11 Pro product key. How can I change / upgrade the installed version, such that my activation key works? It would be annoying if I had to re-install everything only because of the...
  5. Change Windows 11 Pro N to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Windows 11 Pro N to Pro: HelloI installed the Windows 11 Pro N version, which I cannot activate using my regular Windows 11 Pro product key. How can I change / upgrade the installed version, such that my activation key works? It would be annoying if I had to re-install everything only because of the...
  6. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 PRO N

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Upgrade from Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 PRO N: Hello, I try to upgrade from Home N to Pro N. I go to Microsoft store as indicated in the Activation window and got what seems to be an "error" message : "You're running Windows 10 Home N and you're all set" No, I'm not all set, I want to upgrade to Pro N. and not...
  7. Windows 10 Pro N upgrade to WIndows Pro "non N" - app compatibily issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro N upgrade to WIndows Pro "non N" - app compatibily issue: Hello all I am using Windows 10 Professional "N " With the "Media pack" installed through the Control Panel/applications.... My video editing sofwtare Magix Video shows up an error while generating a Blu ray "select AC3 Stereo" - but it is already selected ! Magix...
  8. How to Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro N to Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro N to Windows 10 Pro?: Hi, I have installed Windows 10 Pro N from Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft's website. Now I think I did mistake. Windows 10 start menu is not looking beautiful as normal Windows start menu. Currently my Windows start menu look like this.. https://imgur.com/HePFHJ6...
  9. Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro Full Version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro Full Version: I have a desktop compatible with Windows 10 but with Windows 7. I use Firefox as my primary browser. Sod I need to save any Firefox Apps to another backup source before starting Windows 10 Pro full Version upgrade? Thanks...
  10. Moving from Windows 10 Pro N to Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from Windows 10 Pro N to Windows Pro: Hello All, I have installed Windows Pro N, and mistakenly I have bought Windows Pro key and when I enter the later key, it does not work ... Hence I would like to move/upgrade from Windows Pro N to Windows Pro, but I do not see any option in Windows website. thanks for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4480966) - Error 0x800f080a