Windows 10: upgrade from win 8.1 home to win 10 Pro

Discus and support upgrade from win 8.1 home to win 10 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Brink or someone I have upgraded from win 8 home to win 8.1 home on my desktop at home and all appears to be working well. I do not currently have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by acmanten, Aug 6, 2015.

1. acmanten Win User

upgrade from win 8.1 home to win 10 Pro

Brink or someone
    I have upgraded from win 8 home to win 8.1 home on my desktop at home and all appears to be working well. I do not currently have many programs/applications (and my data and photos will be on backup USB) on my desktop and hope this will be easy.

I really wish to do an upgrade from win 8.1 home to win 10 Pro, and am wondering what is the best and easiest procedure to get this done. What is the best procedure to follow ? and where to I purchase the upgrade ?
    Thanks, Cliff

:)

acmanten, Aug 6, 2015

2. Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I saw absolutely no mention of a price in this answer - only a copy & paste of what the Winodws 10 specs are!

Is it cheaper to:

A) Start with Win 8.1 Home, buy the Win 8.1 Pro Upgrade, and then free upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

OR

B) Start with Win 8.1 Home, free upgrade to Win 10 Home, and then buy Win 10 Pro upgrade.

AussieBigfoot, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Problem of no price.

Because Home & Pro are different versions of the same OS. The only way you can upgrade from Home to Pro is either purchasing a key/license from MS or using a Windows 8/8.1 pro key.

Only MS know why they offered Win 7 & 8/8.1 users a free upgrade to Win 10. If you had Win 7/8/8.1 pro installed you received Win 10 pro.

I had a Win 8 pro key & used that to upgrade my Win 10 home.

Time Lady, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Cliff, *Smile

You will not be able to upgrade from 8.1 Home to 10 Pro with the free offer. You would either have to have 8.1 Pro installed, or purchase 10 Pro to do so instead.

If you like, you could use anyone of the options in the tutorial below to upgrade from your activated Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    Brink

I should have added one more line as I know that I must need to pay the $119 to do the upgrade...

but my question.... and I was wondering if the $119 upgrade could go from win 8.1 home direct to the win 10 Pro ?
    thanks, Cliff

acmanten, Aug 6, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    What "$119" are you writing about?

$119(US) is the list price of Win 10 Home. Pro is $199. The OEM versions are cheaper. I'm unaware of any upgrade-only versions of Win 10 that are for sale at this time. I'd bet that the full version would permit an upgrade, and that the OEM version will not. I'd also expect the full Pro version to be able to upgrade 8.1 Home to 10 Pro.

Do you really want Pro? Most of the features it adds to Home wouldn't interest me much.

Compare Windows 10 Editions

Pro won't perform better than Home. If 10 is like 7 or 8, you'd need Pro to support two physical CPU sockets, but most home users don't have anything like that.

bobkn, Aug 6, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No. It can only upgrade from a Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  8. acmanten Win User

Thanks for all for your help and info.
    I guess that I will not be needing the PRO version, but I will be checking on it more.
    Thanks to all so much. Cliff

acmanten, Aug 6, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    What is "it"? AFAIK, there is no $119 upgrade version.

bobkn, Aug 6, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    "It" = the PC

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  11. Winuser Win User
    If you need Windows 10 Pro you can try this. Do the free upgrade to Windows 10 core. then click on start - settings - update and security - activation. You should see the option to upgrade through the store. I don't know how much it will cost.

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Winuser, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Does 10 Home, have the Add Features option like 8.1 Core did? If yes, that would be the way to go, especially if they release a Pro Pack for 10 like they did for 8.1. Do the free upgrade to 10 Home, then add features to 10 Pro. Pro pack, if they release one, should be a lot cheaper than a full 10 Pro purchase.

alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2015
  13. acmanten Win User

Thanks, and I understand it is supposed to cost $119 and that will be good.... but I did not upgrade to win10 yet. Am still reading.. tks.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 16, 2015
  14. acmanten Win User
    BOBKN

Thanks so much for your info email reply to me. I have so much to learn, and appreciate you comments. be safe.. cliff m.

acmanten, Aug 20, 2015
  15. acmanten Win User
    All, or anyone.. There must be a way on TENFORUMS to do what I am about to ask if there is a way !!!!

IF I am at this point, and wish to just save me a copy of this message (with links and everything as you see it on TENFORUMs or even email this information to me..... - so that I will be able to see and read it later. Maybe someone can explain a way to do that..... I am very interested. ( I just upgraded to Win 10 yesterday afternoon, and it appears to be working fine so far )

Who knows the answer... ? and thanks to all.
    all be safe.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

1. upgrade from win 8.1 home to win 10 Pro - Similar Threads - upgrade home Pro

2. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  3. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  4. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  6. Upgrade from win 10 home to win 10 pro

Upgrade from win 10 home to win 10 pro: I have win 10 home come with my pc and I wont to upgrade to win 10 pro without reinstalling the win 10 image, I search a lot for cheaper key and I can't tell if the key for a lifetime or not and some product key tell me that I can't upgrade from home to pro without...
  7. upgrade from win 10 home to pro

upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi. I deactivated old laptop with Win 10 Pro and used that activation key for my new laptop with Win 10 Home installed. Activation key is fine (no errors reported) but, new PC still shows as Win 10 Home installed. any ideas why? Thank you...
  8. Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home: Just realized that I bought a Win10 Pro upgrade (from Win 10 Home) at the MS Store on 01/13/17, but never installed it! I have the order number but I don't think I ever got a Product Key. How can I install the update so I can get Pro and use Bit Locker? Thanks....
  9. upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro

upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro: Hi there, just bought a upgrade to PRO for my Lenovo Legion y720, purchased through Microsoft store. download and install finished without a hitch until i noticed the activate windows text appeared on my screen, then i tried to do the activate windows manually and there i...
  10. upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro

upgrading from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro: I am having difficulty upgrade my laptop from Win 10 home to Win 10 pro because the Win 10 home licence is a digital licence and my new Win 10 pro licence is a new Product Key licence. I have no idea that they were different. The Win 10 Pro licence is a valid genuine key but...