Windows 10: Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free?

Discus and support Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am new to this forum and a novice user of computers. I recently purchased a new PC. My old PC was running Windows 10 Pro, which I got from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CVS, Oct 13, 2017.

1. CVS
    CVS Win User

Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free?

Hello,

I am new to this forum and a novice user of computers. I recently purchased a new PC. My old PC was running Windows 10 Pro, which I got from Microsoft when they were giving it away for free. My new PC came with Windows 10 home edition installed on it. I want to upgrade my new computer to Windows 10 Pro. Can I do it for free?

FYI - The only reason that I want to upgrade to the Pro version is so that I can take control over when Microsoft Windows/ Office updates are done on my computer. I understand with the Home version, you cannot take control of when the updates take place

Thanks for any help you can provide

:)

2. How to upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

So what you are saying is that I need to do my free upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home and then I can do an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro for $99?

Pete Agnew, Oct 13, 2017
  3. upgrade from windows 8.1 home to windows 10 professional

I just purchased a windows 8.1 home machine and I need to upgrade it to a windows 10 pro OS. I have done the free update to windows 10 home but Im having a hard time finding the upgrade product key to go to the pro edition. Can it be done from the windows
    10 home or do I need to go back to windows 8.1, update that to 8.1 pro then update to windows 10 pro. Or can I purchase the upgrade only for windows 10 pro? I do not want to spend the 139.99 for a full OS.

caitlinpopple, Oct 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

First, make sure that you meet all the requirements specified here regarding having the most recent build of Windows 10 and a digital license linked to a Microsoft account:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

Then I would do a system backup image of your Windows 10 Home using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. Once you trigger the upgrade to Pro, it is difficult to revert back to Windows 10 Home. The backup image will let you restore the Windows 10 Home installation from the image.

Trigger the upgrade to Pro changing the product key to the generic Windows 10 Pro product key ending in -3V66T. You do that on the Activation Screen under Updates and Security from settings.

Activate the Windows 10 Pro by transferring the digital license from the old computer to the new computer through your Microsoft Account as shown in the link provided above.

Remove Windows 10 Pro from the old computer.

Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  5. CVS
    CVS Win User
    Thank you very much for the instructions below. Just 1 question before I start. With respect to removing windows 10 from my old computer, do I do this after I have finished the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro on my new computer or right after I change the activation key, which would be before the upgrade takes place?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do it after the upgrade is complete and activated on the new computer.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  7. CVS
    CVS Win User
    Thanks & all the best. Now the "fun" begins.

8. pigpenz Win User

or you can get it from MS if you have a valid win 8 key

pigpenz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Can I Do it for free? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Home Pro

2. Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?: Hi, I was recently curious about upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro, so I checked via the Microsoft Store. There was a button that said "Upgrade now" or something, which I clicked, and after an update procedure/restart, it now appears that my edition of Windows 10 has been...
  3. Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?: Hi, I was recently curious about upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro, so I checked via the Microsoft Store. There was a button that said "Upgrade now" or something, which I clicked, and after an update procedure/restart, it now appears that my edition of Windows 10 has been...
  4. Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. is their a to upgrade from Windows 10 Home SL to Pro for free

is their a to upgrade from Windows 10 Home SL to Pro for free: Is their any way shape or form I can upgrade my Windows 10 Home SL to Windows 10 pro for free permanently without damaging any of files or doing anything illegal towards my system?P.S.I'm just curious...
  6. Can not upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Can not upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Dear Community, I've already bought Microsoft Windows 10 Pro. Entered Key and got error with registered Windows 10 Home. I try to upgrade windows - no success. What can I do to upgrade to Pro version?[IMG]...
  7. Can I upgrade from Home to Pro for free?

Can I upgrade from Home to Pro for free?: I have Windows 10 Home installed on my PC. I’d like to change it and upgrade to Windows 10 Pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-from-home-to-pro-for-free/bc78173f-4b3e-4d80-becb-66f651d39237
  8. How can I upgrade to windows 10 pro from home

How can I upgrade to windows 10 pro from home: Hello everyone! When i purchased my pc it had windows 10 home pre installed. I want to upgrade to windows 10 pro but i don’t know how. Can anybody help me?...
  9. Upgrading from windows 10 home to pro using the free 8.1 upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from windows 10 home to pro using the free 8.1 upgrade: This requires a bit of backstory. Back in the day, I bought a digital copy of Windows 8.1 Pro. Still have the email and it still shows up in my MS account order history. Once Windows 10 came out, MS offered it as a free upgrade for I think the first year, which I used and got...
  10. Can i upgrade windows 10 home to windows 10 pro in free of cost?

Can i upgrade windows 10 home to windows 10 pro in free of cost?: I have licence laptop of windows 10 home. i want to upgrade it to windows 10 pro. without out any cost it is possible to update?...