Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 7 created Local Account-Now What?

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 7 created Local Account-Now What? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm on a topic that is uncharted territory for me. Here is some background. I have a laptop from my Mom how just recently passed away. The machine... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gzt7d8, Dec 10, 2016.

1. gzt7d8 Win User

Upgrade from Windows 7 created Local Account-Now What?

I'm on a topic that is uncharted territory for me. Here is some background.
    I have a laptop from my Mom how just recently passed away. The machine had Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 Home edition.

When it upgraded it only created a Local Account which is probably what was expected. It does not prompt me for a password, it is like netplwiz has been set so you don't have to log in, it just takes you to the desktop.

I want to reset the Laptop but I'm not sure what to expect regarding the Microsoft Account. I highly doubt there is a MS account on this machine, if there is, I don't know what the password or the account email address is. If the machine is reset will it keep the local account or will I be asked to login/create a Microsoft account?

Has anyone had a situation like this before? Any suggestions or tips you can give me before I reset the laptop?

Thanks,
    Greg

:)

gzt7d8, Dec 10, 2016

2. Please help me before I loose my mind!!!

I had account issues as well when I upgraded to 10 from 7. This is what helped me. I created a windows account. Then signed out of it to the local account. It wasn't until after I signed out of the local account the admin account appeared.

MissyG_592, Dec 10, 2016
  3. whallada Win User
    Local account does not reflect after being created

I'm trying to set up a new local user account missing windows 10 that I upgraded from Windows 7 yesterday. I created a new local user name, password and password hint. When I log out of the Windows 10 admin account, the new local user account does not
    show up for me to log into. When I try to add it a second time from my windows 10 administrator account, the account management interface software tells me that the account already exists and that I should create a second local account with a different name. Again
    that account does not show up. The new local user account does not show up in the /Users folder either. How do I fix this problem with Windows 10. The local accounts on the 3 other computers that I have upgraded to Windows 10 (all using the same windows
    10 administration account), do not have this problem. I can log into those administrator accounts with either my password or my pin. The same is true for this latest upgrade. Why doesn't the local user account show up on this computer that I upgraded from
    Windows 7? The other 3 computers were upgraded from Windows 8.1 Is there a method to delete a local user account from windows 10, without going through the settings menu and even though it does not show up in the /users folder?

Wayne

Problem with setting up new local user account in Windows 10.- Original Title

whallada, Dec 10, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

My condolences for the loss of your Mother.

Normal behaviour is to offer the login for the last account that was logged on. If that account has no password you'll go straight in without a prompt for the password. If you look at Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options it will say if the account has no password.

I've not done a reset, but it should put the machine into the state it would be if you'd just installed Windows. At install you are asked to set up the first account. The default offered is to set up with a Microsoft account, but you can choose to set up a local account instead.

5. gzt7d8 Win User
    Thanks Bree, her loss was very sudden for us. Dad is doing ok, but he misses her. They were married over 66 years so it is very understandable how he is.

Thanks for the tips, I haven't checked the Account setting you mentioned, but I will. I'll cross my fingers when I do the reset, part of my concern is I didn't want to lose the activated account otherwise I'd have to purchase a new copy, but not a big deal if I do.

gzt7d8, Dec 10, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    Two things create a disk image with free software so you can role back if it goes wrong second backup the activation if you google uncleaner on that site they have s utility to backup activation I am on phone so can't give a direct link

Samuria, Dec 10, 2016
  7. gzt7d8 Win User
    Good points, I'll do that first.

Thanks!

gzt7d8, Dec 10, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

When the computer is upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, the digital license for Windows 10 is stored on Microsoft activation servers along with the unique Hardware ID of the computer - as long as the computer has been connected to the internet at some point since the upgrade. You can completely wipe the hard drive on the computer down to absolutely nothing and as long as you install the same version of Windows 10 that was on it before it will activate itself when it sends the Hardware ID to Microsoft activation servers and it matches the digital license stored there. No Microsoft account is required for that. Linking the digital license to a Microsoft account is only needed when you want to move that digital license to another computer.

You do have to be mindful of other programs installed, though, like Microsoft Office. They will not automatically re-activate.

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
  9. gzt7d8 Win User
    Thanks. I was successful in resetting the PC. The license activated with no problems. The laptop didn't have MS Office so no worries there.

All the feedback from everyone here helped me today. I've very appreciate, thank you! *Smile

Greg

gzt7d8, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 created Local Account-Now What? - Similar Threads - Upgrade created Local

2. Disable creating local accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable creating local accounts: I am the only user of my PC Win 11, and I have multiple content blockers in the form of DNS filter, applications, extensions. However by creating a local account I am able to bypass some of these. I am looking for a way to disable creating any other kind of account on my PC....
  3. Disable creating local accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable creating local accounts: I am the only user of my PC Win 11, and I have multiple content blockers in the form of DNS filter, applications, extensions. However by creating a local account I am able to bypass some of these. I am looking for a way to disable creating any other kind of account on my PC....
  4. Creating a duplicate local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a duplicate local account: I am wanting to create a duplicate local user account in Windows 11 so that settings such as how the taskbar and start menu are set up, notifications settings, etc. move over. How can I do this?...
  5. Creating a duplicate local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a duplicate local account: I am wanting to create a duplicate local user account in Windows 11 so that settings such as how the taskbar and start menu are set up, notifications settings, etc. move over. How can I do this?...
  6. Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Completed Upgrade From Windows 7 to 10 - Now No Sound: Tried uninstalling drivers. System says the 'best drivers for your system are installed. I don't even get the tones when I do the speaker test....
  7. Problems creating local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problems creating local account: Hi everyone My Colleague has a new Dell laptop and it windows 10 professional but his unable to create a local account Creates the account either through add new user or manage adding username password etc but when he logs out and back in he cannot see the new user when...
  8. LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT CREATED

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT CREATED: Hello, There is a third account Which I can assure you i never made named "Administrator" and it is the local admin, so it has full control over my computer, not me. There are many things that do not work because of this. This "new" administrator has also changed the...
  9. Creating a Local Account in Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating a Local Account in Windows 10?: Hi guys, When setting up Windows 10 to create a Local Account, do I need to have my Last Name there or can I have only my First name? I am only setting up a Local Account and NOT a Microsoft account. So can I enter my First name only when I create my local account...
  10. upgrade from windows 7 to 10 re accounts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from windows 7 to 10 re accounts: My second computer is a Win 7 machine . Windows 10 upgrade is ready to install. I have several questions: a) Will windows 10 upgrade remember that I have a local account or I have to start from scratch ? b) If I choose a local account , would windows 10 remember my...