Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows XP

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows XP in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded the iso image for the 32bit version and burned into a DVD. When I boot from the DVD I get the nice Windows 10 blue screen that lasts for 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by truepharaoh, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Upgrade from Windows XP

I downloaded the iso image for the 32bit version and burned into a DVD. When I boot from the DVD I get the nice Windows 10 blue screen that lasts for 2 minutes or so and then the screen goes away and the computer tries to reboot again. Tried several times with the same results.
    System Spec: Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. 2GB of RAM and Celeron 2.93 GHZ processor.

:)

truepharaoh, Sep 6, 2015

2. Can I upgrade to Window 10 directly from Windows XP

Original Title: Windows XP upgrade

Can I upgrade to Window 10 directly from Windows XP

SharonMurphyXG, Sep 6, 2015
  3. After upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 and then to Windows 10. Issues with finding documents and pictures from Windows.old folder.

Original Title: Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 10

Hi,

I've upgraded a PC that had Windows XP to Windows 7. After I installed Windows 7, Old files (including documents and pictures) from Windows XP moved to some subfolders inside Windows.old.

Just after I installed Windows 7, I was prompted that I can upgrade it to Windows 10. I thought it's a good idea, so I proceeded with the upgrade.

Now, after the upgrade to Windows 10, the Windows.old folder from Windows XP was now replaced with a new Windows.old folder of Windows 7 (I was sure it would be renamed to Windows.old.0 or something, but it didn't). I can't find the previous Windows.old
    folder from Windows XP. It means that all the documents and pictures I originally had in Windows XP were lost....

Is there any way to restore them?

Thanks!

Zvi

Zvi Stachel, Sep 6, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Upgrade from Windows XP

Do you have a Windows 10 product key that you purchased? You can't upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10. You will have to clean install Windows 10 and for that to activate, you will need a purchased Windows 10 product key.

Although booting from the DVD you should have at least gotten to the point of getting an option to do a clean install of Windows 10. I would look at a bad ISO download or bad DVD burn first.

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    Coming directly from Windows XP, you cannot do an upgrade to Windows 10; it is not technically possible. But what is possible is an upgrade from Windows 7. And Windows XP can be upgraded to Windows 7.

So, if you really want to do an upgrade, it might be the cheapest solution to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium license. With that license, you can upgrade your system to Windows 7. And from Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 10.

Actually, I think that the advice to go for a Windows 7 license is really the best one for you: Before you buy anything, download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Microsoft website and run it to see, in how far your hardware and your programs will be supported in Windows 7. Windows 7 itself will still be supported until 2020, so until then you will have a secure operating system with Windows 7 (which you do not have with Windows XP).
    If you then upgrade to Windows 10 or not, is another question - when I have a look at your computer, then I am not sure, how fast Windows 10 will run on it. You possibly also have some hardware and programs in it, which is no longer supported in Windows 10. However, that is what you will then see in the upgrade tool, which you will have in Windows 7 after you installed all updates for Windows 7.

Joergi, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Actually, NO, you can not do a direct upgrade from XP to Win7 and keep anything. MS has traditionally only supported upgrading to the next OS release to preserve stuff. See the linked article: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...45dcf57?auth=1

So, basically, since you have to reinstall everything from scratch anyway, going from XP to Win10 is no different procedurally than going from XP to Win7 -- it's a totally clean install either way.

Mark Phelps, Sep 6, 2015
  7. Joergi Win User
    Oh, true. They call it "custom install", but it in fact does not keep things. I missed that.

Anyway, I still recommend that, if you want to upgrade, you should do that by going to Windows 7. That way you will have a secure system again and you save the option to upgrade to Windows 10, should you want to.

If you bought Windows 10 Home, you would not be able to go down to Windows 7. So should you not be satisfied with Windows 10 (e.g. because it is slow on your PC or because things are just not running), then you had spent money for something you cannot use.

Joergi, Sep 6, 2015
  8. Upgrade from Windows XP

You need to tell us what make and model computer you have and the graphics adapter. Your computer might not even be compatible with Windows 10 without some hardware upgrades even if it meets the specs for Windows 10 due to lack of Windows 10 drivers.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade from Windows XP

1. Upgrade from Windows XP - Similar Threads - Upgrade

2. Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 PRO after installing an OEM windows 10 PRO key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-to-windows-11-pro-after-purchasing-an/c4fe2498-cc57-48fd-aa3b-94e4afb87eeb
  3. Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 PRO after installing an OEM windows 10 PRO key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-to-windows-11-pro-after-purchasing-an/c4fe2498-cc57-48fd-aa3b-94e4afb87eeb
  4. Upgrading to Windows 11 PRO after purchasing an OEM windows 10 PRO key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. download the Windows Pro 11 for Workstations.iso, so apply this method of upgrade to 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download the Windows Pro 11 for Workstations.iso, so apply this method of upgrade to 23H2: Does Microsoft permits/supports any way of bypass restrictions, Windows 11 Pro installation or upgrade...? I have purchased a USED PC ... from ebay... HP Z640 WORKSTATION, XEON V4, 64GB DDR4, K4200 QUADRO 4GB, TPM 1.2Has Windows 11 Pro 22H2 for Workstations version, and...
  6. download the Windows Pro 11 for Workstations.iso, so apply this method of upgrade to 23H2

download the Windows Pro 11 for Workstations.iso, so apply this method of upgrade to 23H2: Does Microsoft permits/supports any way of bypass restrictions, Windows 11 Pro installation or upgrade...? I have purchased a USED PC ... from ebay... HP Z640 WORKSTATION, XEON V4, 64GB DDR4, K4200 QUADRO 4GB, TPM 1.2Has Windows 11 Pro 22H2 for Workstations version, and...
  7. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11: Hi, After updating to Windows 11 during a recent Windows update, I've been using my laptop for several months without any issues. However, I recently started receiving a message indicating that the Windows license will expire soon. Oddly enough, when I check the settings, it...
  8. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11: Hi, After updating to Windows 11 during a recent Windows update, I've been using my laptop for several months without any issues. However, I recently started receiving a message indicating that the Windows license will expire soon. Oddly enough, when I check the settings, it...
  9. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

10. I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...: Hello sir/madams, I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7 for the free from official site of microsoft. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded to windows 10 it asks for activation. I can't even personalize my computer. I try to follow the steps it tells me but I...