Windows 10: Upgrade Killed My Sound !

Discus and support Upgrade Killed My Sound ! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just ran that Windows Upgrade thing on my system disk to see if it would fix a problem I've got. It didn't. And now there's no sound at all.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abrogard, Sep 27, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Upgrade Killed My Sound !

I just ran that Windows Upgrade thing on my system disk to see if it would fix a problem I've got.

It didn't.

And now there's no sound at all.

It's win10, of course and the mobo is an Asus H170 pro using the onboard sound.

What do you think? Ive got to go back to Asus and find a sound driver?

:)

abrogard, Sep 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 upgrade just killed my sound playback

one of windows upgrade killed my sound. This is a recent upgrade. Had been working ok.

DonWoollard, Sep 27, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade just killed my sound playback

Hi,

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below.

• What is the KB number of Windows update?

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    I regret the inconvenience you are facing with Windows 10 upgrade. We would assist you for sure.

The sound play back issue would occur due to incompatibly/ outdated drivers after upgrading to Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below Microsoft article and check: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...67a-98d2761a770d/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

You can also refer to the suggestion by Kapil from the following link.
    sound not working on windows 10

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Sep 27, 2017
  4. Upgrade Killed My Sound !

Hi abrogard

What is device manager telling you about sound adapter?

Couldn't hurt getting Asus driver.

Check BIOS to be sure it is still enabled, yes I know you are asking how it would have been shut off. Don't know but it is a simple check.

When you shutdown windows hold shift key down and click shutdown to get fresh copy of Windows on power up.

Caledon Ken, Sep 27, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    You can do a System Restore to a time before this happened.
    Or press the Win key+X and choose Device Manager. Are there any yellow flags next to any devices? If so, right click the sound device with the yellow flag, choose Properties/Driver/Roll Back Driver to a driver that was working.
    Or go to the Asus support download drivers site H170 PRO GAMING Driver+%26+Tools| Motherboards | ASUS USA
    for your board Choose your version of Windows 10 and download the Audio driver.

spunk, Sep 28, 2017
  6. abrogard Win User
    yep, thanks, i did all that and the asus driver didn't seem to help. messing around somewhere - device manager maybe? - i found a choice between two sound things so i clicked on the one not currently being used and since then i've had sound to the headphones, but not to the speakers.

so that's some progress... *Smile

abrogard, Sep 28, 2017
  7. Flashorn Win User
    Speakers are external or in the screen ?

Did the board come with an audio enhance of some kind ? [Nahimik, FX, Realtek...]
    Sometimes, these are linked and control the sound outputs and their drivers are required
    for the outputs to work. Or could have updated drivers on their sites for newer versions/builds
    on Windows.

If speakers are external,have you tried the Optical output?

I have lost sound on my external speakers when going from Anniversary to Creators and had
    to update the Nahimic driver on my MSI.

Flashorn, Sep 28, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

Roght click your Volume icon in the TaskBar (ie) looks like a speaker, Select Choose Playback devices. Select Speakers and set them as Default Device.
    You should also have a Realtek icon in your TaskBar next to the clock, here you can also set the Default playback device as Speakers.

spunk, Sep 28, 2017
  9. COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 28, 2017
  10. abrogard Win User
    just did this once and got an error about bad http request or something...... lost it all... one more try...

thanks for the suggestions but all those things have already been done. my realtek thing is in a pop up black box under a caret by the wifi symbol, but it's all the same.

the speakers are external, plugged into the green port at the back. where they worked fine for months before this creators update the other day...

abrogard, Sep 28, 2017
  11. Flashorn Win User
    ""Do a system Restore to Anniversary ."" hope it's activated.

Have you tried to connect the speakers to the Optical ?

What does the Device Manager say ? Any yellow triangles or gray question marks?

In Device Manager , have you tried to update the sound drivers?

Have you tried to update the Realtek driver from their site?

Realtek

I hate W10.

Flashorn, Sep 28, 2017
  12. abrogard Win User
    ah.. don't hate it, mate... we're going to be stuck with it.... *Smile

I might do the system restore to anniversary - but what's it mean? what's that about?

device manager shows no problems...

i didn't do a device manager update but I did do an Asus driver download/install

abrogard, Sep 28, 2017
  13. Flashorn Win User

System Restore is Not activated by Default on Windows. See why I have so much love for MS.
    They incorporate tools that are very handy But, don't activate them. Go figure.

How to Enable System Restore (and Repair System Problems) on Windows 10

Make sure it's started and that you have a Restore Point to activate. [fall back on]

Asus or any other manufacturer for that matter, don't always have the latest drivers on their sites.
    It's always a good idea to check with provider of the hardware for their latest drivers and tools.

So, go back to Device Manager and update manually the driver{s}. I guess you know how to do it right?
    if not, just holler.

Flashorn, Sep 28, 2017
  14. abrogard Win User
    Yep, thanks for that. I tried to update my drivers and it told me the latest was already installed.
    I've got
    . intel display audio
    . realtek high def audio
    .vb-audio virtual cable

abrogard, Sep 28, 2017
  15. Flashorn Win User
    The one that should be of importance would be the Realtek driver.

I saw you said something about the interface being black or blacked out.

If you can open that interface, click on the "I" for information on the front
    page [when it opens] Bottom right. This will give you the version installed.

If you cannot open the interface [program] then, go back to Device Manager
    and double click on the Realtek High Def Audio entry. On the window, click\Driver
    and look at the date of the driver version.

The latest driver for Windows 10 is 2017/7/26 which is for the Creators update.

If it's not the same or about the same date then, download the driver directly
    from Realtek and install.

Realtek

Click on the middle one.

Next page, check mark the box and click Next.

Choose the second one in Blue ehich is the .exe

Try to install this version and see what happens.

Make sure that the right option in Playback Devices is check marked. It should
    show a Green check mark next to Speakers:

Flashorn, Sep 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgrade Killed My Sound ! - Similar Threads - Upgrade Killed Sound

2. Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen: Touch screen is gone after getting windows 11I have a Lenovo yoga c940-14IIL PC, which does have a touch screen + stylus. Before getting windows 11, I have used it, so I know it is there. Now, I got windows 11 a few months ago, and I haven't used the touch screen in that...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen: Touch screen is gone after getting windows 11I have a Lenovo yoga c940-14IIL PC, which does have a touch screen + stylus. Before getting windows 11, I have used it, so I know it is there. Now, I got windows 11 a few months ago, and I haven't used the touch screen in that...
  4. Teams killed my sound speakers and microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Teams killed my sound speakers and microphone: After installing Teams my speakers and microphone stopped working.Re-installing the Realtek drivers has not cured the problem.Diagnostics say I have no sound. I knew that.Before Teams, it was fine....
  5. Teams killed my sound speakers and microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Teams killed my sound speakers and microphone: After installing Teams my speakers and microphone stopped working.Re-installing the Realtek drivers has not cured the problem.Diagnostics say I have no sound. I knew that.Before Teams, it was fine....
  6. Realtek Audio Drivers Killed My Sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Audio Drivers Killed My Sound: Basically i bought a second hand laptop Dell Inspirion 13 7352 which had this neat thing that whenever you plugged your headphones in it you could choose what to do with. It was the realtek audio drivers. Than i wiped the laptop clean and it became faster but i lost the audio...
  7. 2004 Update Kills NVIDIA Sound

2004 Update Kills NVIDIA Sound: I installed the 2004 / 20H1 feature update a couple of days ago. I now have NO sound from my computer. Device Manager shows a driver error on "NVIDIA High Definition Audio." The solution when I have encountered this in the past was to roll back the driver, but now that option...
  8. Cat killed my CAP LOCK Beep sound :-(

Cat killed my CAP LOCK Beep sound :-(: HP 13" Spectre X360 laptop 16g ram. Audio out of 3.5mm jack to powered speakers. Same problem going to 2 extra monitors HDMI Splitter to 29" LG UltraWide and 34"Curved Samsung monitors. I can get audio through them too under hdmi. She walked across my keyboard and no longer...
  9. Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 upgrade killed my PC: Two days ago, a Win 10 upgrade occurred and my Dell Studio will not boot. Macrium Reflect got me to the DOS prompts and most files seem to be there. I backed them up to a 4TB Seagate external drive. Microsoft acknowledges that they shot my PC with a mandatory Win 10...
  10. Build 10130 killed my sound

Build 10130 killed my sound: Immediately after installing 10130, no sound will play on any application through speakers or headphones. Sounds worked fine on 10094. Device Manager says my VIA HD Audio (compatible) is working fine. When I go into Audio properties and try to configure speakers, it says...