Windows 10: Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD

Discus and support Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using windows 7 64 bit on a brand new computer partly home made 32G DDR3 I have downloaded Windows 10 upgrade. Unfortunately it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Desmond, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Desmond Win User

Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD

I am using windows 7 64 bit on a brand new computer partly home made
    32G DDR3

I have downloaded Windows 10 upgrade. Unfortunately it doesn't recognise my DVD player. Checking the internet I am not alone in this.

:)

Desmond, Jun 14, 2016

2. Windows10 DVD player

I brought my HP laptop with Windows10 installed, Do I still have to buy the DVD app from the store cause my DVD movies wont play the pc doesn't seem to recognise the DVD when I insert it, what am I doing wrong

Tracey Travers, Jun 14, 2016
  3. I cannot upgrade to Windows 10 as my DVD drive is not getting recognized.

<Original Title: Windows 10 upgrade>

When I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 it would not recognise my DVD drive, is there anything I can do? I have tried to to upgrade twice and both times Windows wouldn't recognise it.

Michael Sheridan 60, Jun 14, 2016
  4. Desmond Win User

Create USB Media...

This is stupid. I said that Windows 10 doesn't recognise the DVD drive. How would I know that unless I had successfully installed windows 10. THINK!

I had burnt the ISO onto a DVD because at THAT TIME, I was using windows 7. A fresh re-boot reveals no DVD.

What does Create USB Media... mean?

Desmond, Jun 14, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
  6. bro67 Win User
    Are you using the correct media and good media? I use Sony DVD-R and have no issues.
    Try swapping out the Sata cable and port if it uses one.

Worse case scenario is go with a external USB unit like I have done. DVD units do go bad when the laser's get gummed up.

bro67, Jun 14, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    I haven't had to deal with this myself.

If you have searched the web, then you have also seen some fixes, including manually deleting some bad Windows Registry keys. Have you tried them?

A clean Win 10 install is a pretty reliable way of avoiding such problems. The pain of having to re-install all setting and programs is a bit too much for many people.

bobkn, Jun 14, 2016
  8. Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD

Don't cop an attitude because you asked a very vague question in the original post. We aren't mind readers.

Now, are you saying you've already gone through the upgrade and your DVD drive isn't being recognized? If so, make sure it is in Device Manager and/or the BIOS. Then we can go from there. Help us help you with details and relevant information.

DeaconFrost, Jun 14, 2016
  9. RWOne Win User
    Seconded on the attitude.

Looks like no DVD on 10 after upgrade. Now for specific answer time:

1. Does the DVD drive show up as a drive in file manager / disc management?

2. If not, then go with previous comments on looking into BIOS, etc.

3. If there, are you saying you can't play a DVD in 10 now? Because that's a known issue, win 10 by default won't. (though I have the Windows DVD player plus 3rd party prg's that can)

RWOne, Jun 14, 2016
  10. badrobot Win User
    We thought that you can't upgrade to Win 10 because your DVD drive isn't being detected. Have you downloaded the latest updates after the upgrade? Because that may include the driver for your DVD.

badrobot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD - Similar Threads - Upgrade windows10 recognising

2. Windows10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 upgrade: Was upgrading from windows 7 Ultimate was at 27% when got a message "dwn.exe - system error" - went on to say buffer overflow. Would not continue the upgrade - actually froze - and had to revert to Windows 7. Any ideas?...
  3. windows10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows10 upgrade: after updating to windows10 from windows7 Im unable to install audio software. drivers install but no software.idt srs control panel, dtx control panel will not install i had to go back to windows7 now they work...
  4. CD/DVD drive is not recognising

CD/DVD drive is not recognising: cod/dvd rom was not visible in my laptop. when i checked for it, an error code 45 occurred. acoording to microsoft to solve it, i had to uninstall the drives and after restarting the laptop a message should have popped to install it again. but it didn't. now i don't know how...
  5. DVD does not recognise cd's or dvd's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD does not recognise cd's or dvd's: I have an asus laptop (ROG Gamer) with windows 10 and cd's nor dvd's can be recognized from the dvd drive, also windows media player does not show it, can someone help me?...
  6. DVD drive not recognising CD

DVD drive not recognising CD: Hi all, my first ever post in my first ever forum so I'm sorry if I do things a bit wrong. I'm very frustrated. I brought a Video editing software package to put my old videos onto the laptop but my DVD driver is not recognising the CD. It sort of starts to spin, then stops...
  7. DVD writer not recognised

DVD writer not recognised: My laptop DVD writer showed as such in device manager, but in Windows it only showed as a CD drive and would not recognise DVDs On the advice of a friend, I deleted the CD registry key, in the belief that are a reboot it would go back to normal. unfortunaely it's not...
  8. dvd drive isn't recognised after windows 10 upgrade

dvd drive isn't recognised after windows 10 upgrade: My dvd player drive isn't listed and when you try and play a dvd the player spins but doesn't play anything since upgrading to windows 10. I have checked in device manager and it says device is working properly. I have also done the upgrade driver and it says I have the...
  9. Upgrading Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading Windows10: My Windows10 is currently version 1607 and I would like to upgrade to version 1703 but as a complete novice and 85 years old I am concerned that if I click "Upgrade" I will be faced with a lot of technical jargon to deal with. Is the upgrading difficult or would I be able to...
  10. DVD ROM not recognised after Win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD ROM not recognised after Win 10 upgrade: Sorry, realised it was in the wrong section. 16888