Windows 10: Upgrade one side of current Dual boot setup

Discus and support Upgrade one side of current Dual boot setup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; All, My current computer is already in a dual boot setup with a dedicated Win7 SSD and a dedicated Win8.1 SSD (not just a partitioned drive). Both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BigBMH, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BigBMH Win User

Upgrade one side of current Dual boot setup

All,
    My current computer is already in a dual boot setup with a dedicated Win7 SSD and a dedicated Win8.1 SSD (not just a partitioned drive). Both drives are booting through BIOS not UEFI. What I would like to do is Upgrade the Win8.1 drive to Win10 and keep the Win7 drive functioning as is and intact. Both of my current versions of Windows are completely legal with their own separate Product ID's.

I've done some initial research on this question but was hoping to get some answers from someone that has done this or at least some "best practices" on subject. It seems that from what i can find that my best bet is to disconnect the Win7 Drive, upgrade the Win8.1 drive to 10, then reconnect the Win7 drive and hope for the best.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry in advance if this topic is covered in a different tread already.

Thanks!

:)

BigBMH, Apr 22, 2016

2. Can I dual boot Ubuntu after i upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7?

I currently have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed side by side on my laptop and dual-booting is achieved through the GRUB boot-loader.

If I upgrade my Windows to Windows 10, will I be able to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 or not?

Please help..

Sahil Singh Parashar, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows 10 very slow performance since I dual-boot

Yes, your hardware sounds like a reasonable gaming system, your RAM is a little on the slow side by current standards, but you have lots of it. You don't mention the type of drive you have. In general, if you have HD, swapping it out for a SS will make
    your system seem like it has been significantly upgraded.

If you really have setup a dual boot, where at the start of the boot process you have to select the OS, then having Linux will NOT impact Windows. They are invisible to each other because they are on separate partitions. And Windows literally cannot see

If you have it setup some other way, then yes, there may be an impact. Please provide us with more details of how you setup the "dual boot".

Rohn007, Apr 22, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Hi and welcome.

I recommend doing exactly as you have stated, Remove the Windows 7 drive and then do the upgrade. I would also create an image of your Windows 8.1 drive just in case.

pbcopter, Apr 22, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Exactly !!

Thema:

1. Upgrade one side of current Dual boot setup - Similar Threads - Upgrade side current

2. Upgrading one Windows OS in a dual boot Windows configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading one Windows OS in a dual boot Windows configuration: A family member had an old PC running Vista that I dual booted with Windows 10 so they could use Vista as a fallback when they got confused with 10. Now they are comfortable with Windows 10 and rarely use Vista, only reason Vista is kept is because of some files. I know this...
  3. Upgrading one Windows OS in a dual boot Windows configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading one Windows OS in a dual boot Windows configuration: A family member had an old PC running Vista that I dual booted with Windows 10 so they could use Vista as a fallback when they got confused with 10. Now they are comfortable with Windows 10 and rarely use Vista, only reason Vista is kept is because of some files. I know this...
  4. Reset one side of a dual boot computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset one side of a dual boot computer: I dual boot my laptop with 2 Windows 10 Operating Systems. One is my personal and the other work. I need to reset the personal side but dont wan to affect the work side. Is this possible and if so how do i do it?...
  5. Setup automatic dual side printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setup automatic dual side printing: How to enable auto double sided printing to save time. I know how to do it manually but I'm curious if it's capable of automating printing as I have a new printer with all new specification. HP LaserJet Pro M1136....
  6. Dual boot on one PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot on one PC: I have a current HDD on a PC with windows 10 Home and a new HDD on the same PC with Windows 10 Pro installed. I want to boot from each hard drive at different times and know how to do that, however since I use my Microsoft account to keep track of my devices and currently...
  7. Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10

Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10: I've installed Kubuntu on my SSD. I can live boot the USB and see it installed there. However, No matter what I've tried I have not been able to boot the program from my SSD. There is a EFI partition. There is a ubuntu selection available in the boot menu. Selecting it has no...
  8. Dual Boot Setup for Windows 10

Dual Boot Setup for Windows 10: Hi, I have recently installed an SSD on the M.2 slot of my laptop. It came with a Mechanical 1Tb HDD. First, I installed the M.2 SSD on the motherboard and installed Windows 10 on it. A new clean setup. At this point of time my HDD was not connected. Next, I connected the...
  9. Upgrade 10 with dual boot

Upgrade 10 with dual boot: Hello. I have a Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 R2 dual boot laptop configuartion. If i upgrade my widnows 7 to Win10 does i will loose dual boot configs? Thanks 24273
  10. upgrading and dual booting

upgrading and dual booting: Hi everyone. My name is . I have Windows 7 X64 and I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. The question is (I get a free upgrade to Windows 10) can I dual boot windows 10 and Windows 7? Where is the consumer preview? Usually you can sample the operating system before...