Windows 10: Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?

Discus and support Upgrade or clean install - what do you use? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 I was very happy with the new OS on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop. Everything worked perfect, no hardware or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joebilly, Sep 9, 2015.

1. joebilly Win User

Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?

After my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 I was very happy with the new OS on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop. Everything worked perfect, no hardware or software problems at all.

Then I read on several tech forums that many or mayby most people did prefer a clean install of Windows 10. So, I decided to make a try. I wiped all my partitions on my HDD and installed Win 10. Then the problem started with computer that won't shut down completely, and computer that would not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode. Like the problem many other Win 10 users have experienced. Had to use forced shutdown and bla bla .......

I had to reinstall Windows 7 again because of this shutdown problem, and yes, I have tried almost every solutions suggested on most tech forums, but none have fixed the problem. I will try Win 10 again after next big update and see what happens. Have to say that my new ASUS laptop works perfect with clean install of Win 10, but not my desktop.

Which version of Windows 10 do most people on Tenforum use, the upgrade or clean install?

:)

joebilly, Sep 9, 2015
  2. daslicht Win User

The free upgrade lets you do a clean install on a blank Hard Drive, YES or NO?

Andre Da Costa wrote:

You need to start the upgrade from within a qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 whether you user the reservation app or download the .ISO.

You can't do a clean install with it on a blank SSD or hard disk.

Can we somehow do a clean install with the free upgrade of Windows 10 on a new blank SSD ?

YES or NO ?

How about this:

• Start upgrade process by getting the ISO on a qualified Windows machine
    • Format the computer
    • Reinstall using the downloaded iso
    ?

daslicht, Sep 9, 2015
  3. The free upgrade lets you do a clean install on a blank Hard Drive, YES or NO?

No.

Bill Smithers, Sep 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Well, if everything worked perfectly from an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but did not work with a clean install of Windows 10 - then I would stay with a clean install of Windows 7 followed by an upgrade to Windows 10. Obviously there were registry settings or files that carried over that kept everything working. Otherwise, I always prefer a clean install when I can.

NavyLCDR, Sep 9, 2015
  5. I am always in favor of a clean install. This way, I know nothing was left behind, and I'm able to make sure I'm using the latest drivers and software.

DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    I have 2 Acer Aspire M3995,and I did the clean install, but I went from 8-10 first ,activated win10 and then did the clean install on C:\ drive partition ,but I did not delete all partitions on one of them , saved the recovery partition just in case, the 2nd one the hdd was dead ,so added new hdd , it was 1 partition any way , I experienced no issues so far .

when you did the upgrade did select to check for updates at the first part of the upgrade ,,,

caperjack, Sep 9, 2015
  7. joebilly Win User
    caperjack

Yes, I did select the "check for updates" before the installation started.

Maybe I will try a new clean install this weekend and just format the partition I will install Win 10 on and see if this could get rid of the shutdown problem.

What I have been reading on most tech forums most expert's thinks the shutdown problem is a combination of drivers and the OS.
    I don't know, I'm just an average joe on computers. *Smile

joebilly, Sep 9, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

good luck ,
    and i'm just a average jack [of all trades master of none ],including computers ,,trial and error kind of guy

caperjack, Sep 9, 2015
  9. acmanten Win User
    Upgrade from 8.1 to 10 also worked very fine and fast on my Acer i5 5600U 4-in-one and has been doing good since then, and is now Permanently Activated. All appears to be good, and I am ready to add a 500GB SSD witin the next few days. I believe the speed of my Win 10 is as good as my old 8.1.... anyway fast enough and I will keep my win 10.
    All be safe.. ..and thanks for all the help I have received.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 9, 2015
  10. Whatphoeb Win User
    Prefer clean install, it is is an opportunity to start fresh from scratch without any bloatware and trial software that might have come pre-installed with your system.

Whatphoeb, Sep 10, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    I prefer the path of least resistance and effort *Smile . I upgraded my Lenovo K450 from 8.1 Pro, Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872 from earlier IP build to 10240 and Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 from earlier IP build to 10240.

All work great so I see no need to clean install any of them. There was no crapware/cramware/forceware on any of them as I cleaned tha out a long time ago.

Ztruker, Sep 11, 2015
  12. Miklos Win User
    My HP Laptop contains an OEM version of Windows 8.1 that has been fully updated and eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade as notified by MS, so would be contacted further by e-mail with regards to this.
    Not wishing to wait for this I decided to partition in half my 1TB HD and create a dual boot installing Windows 10 ISO via a bootable DVD. All went well and Windows 10 up and running except will not activate with the ID Windows 10 product key displayed in the Settings? Settings gives an error message code and states I need to go to the store and make a purchase of Windows 10?
    I am reading that I should have first installed Windows 10 by overwriting my existing verified copy of Windows 8.1 and then would have received a key. Is this correct because I did not want to overwrite my many Windows 8.1 applications (some of which are incompatible with Windows 10)?
    Is there any other way to activate my clean install of Windows 10?
    Many thanks.

Miklos, Sep 11, 2015
  13. Antilope Win User

I did a clean as possible upgrade. First I wiped my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. After that I verified all drivers were loaded and no yellow flags in Device Manager. I made sure all Windows 7 updates were loaded, until it stated no more updates available.

Then I performed a Windows 10 Pro x64 upgrade and told the system to keep nothing. Been working great since July 29.

Antilope, Sep 11, 2015
  14. joebilly Win User
    Antilope

I think I will try your way of updating Windows 10.
    After having trouble with shutting down my computer after my first clean install of Win 10 (deleted all partitions on my HDD), the next best thing to a clean install is to use "Upgrade", and then "Keep nothing" (files, apps and settings). This alternative is as clean as possible.

And I think this will keep the drivers from previous Windows installation. Driver's where most likely the reason I could not get a real clean installation of Windows 10 to work on my computer.

joebilly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade or clean install - what do you use? - Similar Threads - Upgrade clean install

2. Upgrading hardware and will do a clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hardware and will do a clean install of windows: My PC says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account" . Do I have to unlink/deactivate the product key on my current PC before shutting it down and swapping parts for the upgrade? The microsoft help section is pretty vague on the steps...
  3. What do you use as antivirus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What do you use as antivirus?: Im using Windows Defender as full antivirus and Malwarebytes (Free version) So far. I've never had viruses malware on my computers. I started doing this 2016-2017. Are paid antivirus products not worth it now? Back then i used to use Bitdefender and it was pretty good. It...
  4. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  5. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  6. Dont do a clean install / swap HD until you upgrade.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dont do a clean install / swap HD until you upgrade.: So I thought ok time to upgrade this laptop. Give it a speed boost too, by putting in a new SSD. However it won't allow me to activate because of Win 10 Activation failed (Error code: 0xC004C003) I think its because I didn't upgrade first, and just put the new HD in, and...
  7. Touch users - what do you use to clean the screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Touch users - what do you use to clean the screen: Hi there I like playing with some touch stuff on a laptop - but what do you use to clean the screen -- in bright sunlight it's easy to see some smear / finger marks (Yes even in Iceland you do get some sunshine !!!!!). Water (even the 100% clear stuff we have - probably...
  8. What do you reccommend factory reset, Clean install or do nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    What do you reccommend factory reset, Clean install or do nothing: i upgraded to windows 10 and have been having been having some problems my pc freezes mostly when im playing games so i orriginally i thought it was just my gfx card (its a crappy one getting a new one soon tho) so i wasn't really bothered but just before my pc crashed and it...
  9. What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro

What happens when you clean install, having previously upgraded to Pro: I upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home through the usual method, but I wanted to clean install, so I used Microsofts tool for creating install media and made a windows home usb stick and clean installed from that. Activation worked automatically as expected and...
  10. How do YOU clean install ? Do you follow a plan ?

How do YOU clean install ? Do you follow a plan ?: Thanks for the kind words Ed *Smile At some point I would like to do a TUT, in particular for installing and using AOMEI. Not enough hours in the day at the moment.