Windows 10: Upgrade or Clean install?

Discus and support Upgrade or Clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rgh43, Feb 12, 2016.

1. rgh43 Win User

Upgrade or Clean install?

I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it. So my question, is it easier to just upgrade to Win10 since my programs are already installed in Win7, rather than a clean install which would save me time having to install all my program disc's again. Baring any problems this would allow me to get 10 installed & up and running with all my programs in place. Which way is best. I do have Win7 back upped to a disc using Acronis. Since I just put in Win7 I thought I might escape with an upgrade.

I was told since I had installed and registered Win10 I wouldn't be able to use the upgrade route? I did put in my Serial # when asked during the Win10 installation so would that force me to do a clean install? I would like to do this quickly but if that wont work I will just have to do a clean install of Win10.

:)

rgh43, Feb 12, 2016

2. Upgrade or clean install?

Whilst it isn't required, I find for the best experience and performance a clean install is always the best way to go.

Chris_Bryson, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Upgrade or clean install?

There's a new release version 1511 November 2nd that will allow you to insert your Windows 7,8 or 8.1 Product Key to Activate free Upgrade version during a Clean Install.

You can also do the Upgrade now and if not satisfied once it's confirmed Activated do a

Clean Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade.

These steps I've compiled in helping with a couple thousand Upgrades here avoid most problems and minimize any corruption or factory bloat being passed into Upgrade:

If confident your hardware is modern enough to meet the Windows 10 Specifications including
    any unsupported OS features, then you can bypass Get Windows 10 app in the System Tray to
    Install Windows 10 using the media creation tool choosing
    the first option to automate the Upgrade which overcomes almost all issues with Get Windows 10 in the System Tray.

However in the same amount of time it takes to download that option, you can choose the second option "Create Media for another PC" to make bootable flash or DVD media to keep for any needed repairs or reinstall, and can be run from Desktop to Upgrade.
    This media also gives you an extra option to Save Nothing during the Upgrade which overcomes Upgrade choking on corruption or bloated factory installs and gets as close to a superior Clean Install as an Upgrade can get.

To run the Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7/8.1, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator.

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, just click Skip or Next.

If you want to maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on and has less problems after install. Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have
    your program installers and any Product Keys for programs like Office.

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

Type msconfig in Start Search box, right click System Config Utility to Run as Administrator. In Startup and Services tabs
    after making sure to Hide all MS Services disable everything except anti-virus, any synch, stickies, printer using scan.

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender. Bloated AV's like Norton, MacAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special
    Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image of
    your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media,
    Repair CD or
    Recovery flash drivein 20 minutes. Type Backup in Start Search box,
    in Backup and Recovery Center choose Create a System Image. You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free
    Macrium Imaging which allows recovery to any partition position
    on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered.

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows
    10 - Microsoft Community

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection. If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner
    Malwarebytes. No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again. I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes
    and AdwCleaner scanners.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 12, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You can certainly try an upgrade. It should not ask you for a key. Upgrade worked fine for me although others have had issues. If you do run into issues you can always do a clean install after but as you say an upgrade will save you having to install all your programs again.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

5. On all my systems have only done upgrade
    Once the next big upgrade is released and running on all my systems ok will probably do a clean install then.
    But being as all running ok with upgrade I am leaving well alone.

hTconeM9user, Feb 12, 2016
  6. Aurondium Win User
    I may be speaking out of turn here but I understand, maybe incorrectly, that using the free upgrade only gives one a 32bit version of Windows 10. To get a 64 bit version doesn't it still have to be a clean install? Maybe you are happy with the 32bit version but I see from your avatar you say you have a 64bit version.

Aurondium, Feb 12, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    The upgrade process allows you to install either the 32 or 64bit version. I perform the upgrade and I have a 64bit OS set up.

BunnyJ, Feb 12, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

It upgrades the version you have. If you have the 32 bit version you will upgrade to Win 10 32 bit. If you have a 64 bit version you will upgrade to Win 10 64 bit.

Winuser, Feb 12, 2016
  9. Aurondium Win User
    Thank you for that information. Much appreciated.

Is that a recent change? I'm not an expert in computer processes at all and reversed my initial attempt to upgrade quite a few months ago from Win7 Home Premium 64bit because originally there didn't seem to be a choice and I ended up with a 32 bit version.

Aurondium, Feb 12, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    As Winuser says, upgrades always upgrade to same type as original install. You do not get a choice when upgrading.

cereberus, Feb 12, 2016
  11. *Ditto*Thumbs

COMPUTIAC Guest, Feb 12, 2016
  12. Aurondium Win User
    Maybe I'm not using the right language but I took advantage of the free upgrade offer to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit system to Windows 10. After the upgrade My Computer was showing I had Windows 10 Home - but a 32bit system. Therefore I reversed the upgrade and went back to my Windows 7 system and that's where I am still.

I am hesitant to do anything yet about trying the upgrade offer again..

Aurondium, Feb 12, 2016
  13. Winuser Win User

I don't know how you did the upgrade. When you upgraded you it should have been upgraded to the 64bit version and not the 32bit version. Are you sure you were upgraded to a 32bit version of Win 10?

Winuser, Feb 12, 2016
  14. Agree totally with you there if 64 bit on 7 then 64 bit on 10 so either they altered it as was upgrading or they read it wrong

hTconeM9user, Feb 12, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    Aurondium,

Assuming for unknown reason you do end up with a 32-bit version.
    If you still want a 64-bit version, you will have to do a Clean Install.
    Have a look at this tutorial
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

The tutorial is quite "involving".
    Please feel free to ask questions to make sure you understand correctly instead of "assuming" or guessing what it means.

davidhk, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Upgrade or Clean install? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Clean install

2. Upgrade or Clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade or Clean install?: Are there any problems after updating from Windows 7 like sysytem being slow or crashing? How much free space is needed on C drive? submitted by /u/countdooku1729 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e3aga4/upgrade_or_clean_install/
  3. Possible to upgrade clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible to upgrade clean install: I have several dell computers with Windows 7 Pro on them and need to upgrade them to 10 before support for 7 falls off in January. Is it possible to do a clean fresh install using my original windows 7 Pro key code or must i do a upgrade which i rather not do? 131433
  4. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  5. Clean Install or Upgrade - SP3

Clean Install or Upgrade - SP3: Hi Guys New to the forum, but been reading for a while. I have a Surface Pro 3 I7/512Gb/8GB Ram - Upgraded to WinX But... I want to know, is it worth doing a clean install instead of just leaving it as it is? Has anyone seen any performance issues with the upgrade or...
  6. Upgrade or Clean Install....?

Upgrade or Clean Install....?: Having read a number of articles on the subject of "Upgrade or Clean Install", I am still uncertain as to which option delivers the greatest benefits with the least disadvantages. Currently it seems that the decision is one of personal preference - but experience shows us...
  7. Clean Install after upgrade

Clean Install after upgrade: I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over files... idk, i want to do a clean install, but i dont want to loose my genuine copy of windows. also, i have about 1tb of games...
  8. Clean install on upgraded Windows 10

Clean install on upgraded Windows 10: Hello folks, I tried to perform a clean install on the very first instance at the time of 'upgrade' but since it didn't work. I had to upgrade it on existing windows 7 installation. Now the machine is so slow that constantly it shows 100% disk usage. I tried every possible...
  9. Upgrade vs Clean Install

Upgrade vs Clean Install: The fix for many problems seems to be a Clean Install but this is defeating part of the test process. When 10 is released, I would bet 90% of the people who switch will do an upgrade because that is what they are being offered. Few will know what a Clean Install is, much less...
  10. RTM upgrading(clean install)

RTM upgrading(clean install): Been using each release since the initial release, but, haven't seen anyone address this question. Given that Win 7 and 8 will get a free upgrade, will we have the option, given a valid 7 install, to install it cleanly to, say a new SSD? Or will MS require us to do an...