Windows 10: Upgrade process for a seldom used PC

Discus and support Upgrade process for a seldom used PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to try my first Win10 upgrade on a seldom used "backup" PC. This PC is usually turned off. I bring it up for a couple hours each week to update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pokeefe0001, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Upgrade process for a seldom used PC

I want to try my first Win10 upgrade on a seldom used "backup" PC. This PC is usually turned off. I bring it up for a couple hours each week to update malware definitions, apply maint, etc. In the Win 7 Task Scheduler I currently have gwx disabled. (I have it disables on 2 other Win7 boxes, too.) I assume my first step towards a Win10 update is to re-enable and start gwx. Hopefully that will let me request a Win10 update. (If it doesn't, I'm going to have more questions. *Smile)

But then what? I never really understood what would happen next. Does update start as soon as I request it, or does Microsoft schedule the download for some later date - sometime when the PC is likely to be shut off. All the doc I had read seemed to imply a later download, but all of the doc was written for pre-July 29 "reservation". I have no idea how it works now.

:)

pokeefe0001, Aug 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 is restarting frequently after changing the Computer name.

I have windows 10 pro, once i received upgrade and successful installation, when i tried to change my computer name, as usual computer restarted and displayed " windows is changing your settings" once the process reached 30 % suddenly the upgrading process
    stopped and again restarted. Once the boot up done and when started the upgrading process again, from 30 % to till 56 % went smoothly but after that process took a long time, then the the message displayed like "unable to complete the process your setting
    has to been restored". But the good thing my computer name has successfully changed but the restarting problem still persist seldom.

Sam K Thomas, Aug 13, 2015
  3. wifi connects seldom

I am not able to connet my wifi in windows 10 .my wifi driver is broadcom 802.11n .It connects only when I try many times by turning on and off .What is the solution for this problem?

file:///C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/WlanReport/wlan-report-latest.html

this is my wifi report

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

harshajayana, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Upgrade process for a seldom used PC

You'll see a number of differing experiences on the free Upgrading of Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 to Win10. My experience with 6 machines was to click the icon, Reserve a copy then wait a day or two. Opening Windows Update would give me the usual updates but after doing the reboot there would be 1 more Update to do and was the Upgrade to Win10, let it run. It takes about 5 hours download on my 1Mbps 'net connection and less than an hour for the installing and configuring.

Berton, Aug 13, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    If you want to control the process, you need not wait for the "reservation" system. The alternative is the Media Creation Tool:

Windows 10

That gives you a variety of choices: upgrade Windows over the net, create media (USB flash or DVD), or download an .iso (disk image). I chose the latter option, partly because I was upgrading from Windows 8.1, which can mount an .iso directly. (I could run the upgrade from the mounted image.) Win 7 can't do that natively, but there are freeware utilities that would permit it.

Whatever way you do it, the download is approx. 3GB. (You can roughly double that if you download a combined 32/64 bit installer.)

To get Win 10 to activate online, you'd need to install it as an upgrade over your existing, activated, Win 7. I believ that you have to choose to keep everything for the upgrade to activate. Once you have activated it, you may clean install 10 in the future on the same hardware, and it will activate.

Strong recommendation: image your Win 7 installation before upgrading. (I use Acronis True Image, but there are supposed to be good freeware utilities available, like Macrium Reflect.) That covers you if the upgrade goes wrong, or if you simply find that you need to revert to 7.

bobkn, Aug 13, 2015
  6. I used the Media Creation Tool instead of reserving an upgrade. I luckily did not need to use any restore function.

I did need to replace my very small SSD with a larger one because the upgrade process did not have enough room. And I had to clone the drive twice. The 1st time - using the Samsung clone routine that came with the new drive - the Win10 upgrade failed because the clone process hosed over my System Reserved partition. The 2nd time - using the Acronis clone utility - all went well.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade process for a seldom used PC

1. Upgrade process for a seldom used PC - Similar Threads - Upgrade process seldom

2. i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ?: i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-upgrade-my-pc-w7-to-upgrade-on-w10-for-that/8fb55407-04cf-473b-b879-adb4346e12e1
  3. i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ?: i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-upgrade-my-pc-w7-to-upgrade-on-w10-for-that/8fb55407-04cf-473b-b879-adb4346e12e1
  4. i want upgrade my pc w7 to upgrade on w10 , for that what is the process ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Forgotten password on seldom used pc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Forgotten password on seldom used pc: I have a pc that is seldom used, it may be w8.1 or w10, and have tried every log on password that I can think of. If I can get it running, then the password will be changed to be in my current series of passwords that get used with the other pc's.*Confused 123207
  6. Upgrade to SSD Process

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to SSD Process: New guy with 1st question, so hello all! I am considering upgrading my C: drive (500Gb HD) with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 240Gb SSD. I am fairly confident with the cloning process but just to make sure: 1. Will I have to reduce the partition size of the HD to 240 Gb - I'm...
  7. Maintenance on a seldom used PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Maintenance on a seldom used PC: I have a "backup" PC that I run about one or two hours a week. (And this is the only one I've installed Win10 on so far.) When I had Win7 on it, I would usually check to see if there was useful or necessary maintenance whenever I had the PC up. How is this going to work on...
  8. Corrupted upgrade process?

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted upgrade process?: My desktop PC upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday morning--very smoothly, no problems. My laptop, though, has shown no sign of upgrading yet. What's more, when I click on "Learn More" in the upgrade window, nothing happens now. Before yesterday, it went through graphics of the...
  9. Windows 10 new upgrade, system process using a lot of RAM

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 new upgrade, system process using a lot of RAM: I seem to have an issue with one of my system processes using up an inordinate amount of RAM. It isn't causing a lot of issues right now, but it definitely bogs things down here and there. Pictures are of my task manager window on relevant tabs....
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade process

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Upgrade process: I'm hoping someone can tell me how the Win10 upgrade works in terms of optimization. Does it tune-up or defragment my HDD in any way. Essentially what I'm saying is that, after upgrading to Win10 from Win7 Home premium, there was a significant performance upgrade. I'm both...