Windows 10: Upgrade requires product key - no skip option

Discus and support Upgrade requires product key - no skip option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a newly installed Windows 7 Professional x64 (not single language) with SP1 that is fully updated, genuine and activated. If I slip the Win10 CD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mas21, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mas21 Win User

Upgrade requires product key - no skip option

I have a newly installed Windows 7 Professional x64 (not single language) with SP1 that is fully updated, genuine and activated. If I slip the Win10 CD used to upgrade several Win 7 Home Premium PCs in and ask it to upgrade me it requires a product key to continue. There is no option to skip this. The Win7 product key fails, the Insider key fails, the Next button is greyed out. The same issue irrespective of whether I take recent updates or not. I am logged on to a local admin account.

I clicked the flag in the system tray to register for Win 10 but that tells me my report is not ready yet. This after 8 hours of continuous connection to the internet. SFC shows no corruptions.

I am bereft of ideas.

:)

Mas21, Sep 15, 2015

2. I have reinstalled my win 10 but stucked in the automatic repair page

- have you upgraded your system? from which version?

- if you successfully upgraded to windows 10 then you don't required a product key. You may 'skip' when you asked for a product key

Roharashraj™, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Resetting Windows 10 hangs at 8%

There is no Product key for the free Upgrade or its Reinstall.

If you previously had confirmed the free Upgrade was Activated, then click Skip or Next while leaving the box empty.

In some subsequent activation screens there may be also a tiny link elsewhere to skip the key or activation. Use that if required. But do not insert any key.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 15, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It's because you are trying to upgrade Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Home. You can't do that. You have to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2015
  5. Mas21 Win User
    Thanks. Where can I get that from please ? I did ask Google but nothing came up.

Mas21, Sep 16, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is the simple answer:
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2015
  7. Mas21 Win User
    Yes I looked there previously but there is no option to select a Pro version. I'm fairly sure that's where i got my Home copy from.

Mas21, Sep 16, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can select "Upgrade this PC now" and it will automatically download and install what you need.

You can select "Create media for another PC" (or something like that) and you get options for Language; Home, Pro or Single language and 32bit, 64bit or both.

NavyLCDR, Sep 16, 2015
  9. Mas21 Win User
    Ok thanks. I don't remember that from before but then I sometimes forget my own name. I'll tackle it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mas21, Sep 16, 2015
  10. reddice Win User
    reddice, Sep 16, 2015
  11. Mas21 Win User
    All fixed now. Shame M$ can not detect that the Home CD is being used for a Pro install and include that in the error message. Thanks to contributors.

Mas21, Sep 16, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked out for you!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade requires product key - no skip option - Similar Threads - Upgrade requires product

2. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  3. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  4. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't skip the Product Key Activation part.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't skip the Product Key Activation part.: [ATTACH] Trying to transfer from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I can't just get the watermark option, why is this? https://preview.redd.it/mer2b34kaoi61.png?width=712&format=png&auto=webp&s=184997724c78a158f47f78ca34a59ae036fa21bd submitted by /u/Reese30_ [link] [comments]...
  6. product key require using my product id

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    product key require using my product id: how can i redeem a product key for 3273587980450 this product id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-require-using-my-product-id/43b04a2c-481a-4f91-b36d-3632d2e9eb63
  7. Product Key requirement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key requirement: Hi Team., My Product key lost ., kindly provide me Product key on an urgent basis for the purpose of activation win 10 Regards Sagar Shinde https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-requirement/40243374-92a5-4589-a8d8-d0d468ad4399
  8. Product Key for Digital Upgrade

Product Key for Digital Upgrade: Trying to activate Win 10 Pro (just upgraded from Win 10 Home) to create an admin account. MS says it's in the receipt, but then says elsewhere if it was a digital download, you don't need one and just click on that option. Sorry, not seeing an option to continue withot a...
  9. Product Key/Upgrading help

Product Key/Upgrading help: I built my mom a PC some years back and used Windows 8.1 32-bit on it. She has since upgraded to Windows 10 Home but it is still 32-bit. I need to upgrade it to the 64-bit version. I know I will have to do full system wipe and reinstall but, will I need to buy a new product...
  10. Windows10 requiring product key

Windows10 requiring product key: Please help, I had windows10 "successfully" installed. However, I had to while my hard drive and install windows7 home premium again...now if I try to reinstalled windows10 from there website it now asks me for a product key. Also I have waited, upgraded and allowed the PC to...