Windows 10: Upgrade stuck at restart

Discus and support Upgrade stuck at restart in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I started upgrading about 9 hours ago, I kept an eye on the upgrade and noticed about 7 hours ago it got stuck on the restart screen (little circle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Schierling, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Upgrade stuck at restart

I started upgrading about 9 hours ago, I kept an eye on the upgrade and noticed about 7 hours ago it got stuck on the restart screen (little circle going around at the bottom of a black screen). Do I need to be concerned?

I run a 6-year old Dell Inspiron.

:)

Schierling, Sep 17, 2016
  2. parkercm Win User

Windows 10 update (not upgrade) - restart stuck at 12% for several hours

I just got a new Dell 2-in-1 laptop a few days ago and have restarted it once in the meantime to apply a Windows 10 update, and it's also run a Dell update. I got a notification this morning to restart for a Windows update, and now it's stuck on the restarting
    screen and says "configuring update for Windows 10, 12% complete, do not turn off your computer." I tried powering it down, waiting 10 minutes, and turning it back on, and it's still at the same screen. I just want to get back to Windows, at this point I can't
    use the computer at all. Any suggestions?

parkercm, Sep 17, 2016
  3. parkercm Win User
    Windows 10 update (not upgrade) - restart stuck at 12% for several hours

Never mind. Apparently it was the anniversary update and it just took several hours. It finally finished after about 5 hours. Microsoft really should warn us ahead of time how long the restart is going to take.

parkercm, Sep 17, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Upgrade stuck at restart

Try a cold restart when your patience is exhausted. Turn off the PC at the mains or turn off the PSU switch on the rear of the PC, hold down the power on button for 30 secs then restore the power and turn on the PC. If you have laptop, you will need to remove the battery to have the same effect.

Steve C, Sep 17, 2016
  5. Yabob Win User
    How long should it take for it to restart? Mine has been working on it for about 10 hours now.

Yabob, Sep 23, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Good chance it is stuck then..... if you have Avast installed uninstall it 1st for the next try , at least I think that's what got it to work for me yesterday. I gave up after 4.5 hrs of spinning dots.....

But I reimaged in between Tries with Macrium

KB.

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
  7. me75006 Win User
    Anniversary Update rejected my Cisco usb wireless Dongle and halted the upgrade process on my ancient Dell E530 Inspiron.

Twice, kept running into this 'spinning dots circle'. A few restarts/power cycles, and no progress. ugh.

I went here & clicked update now -
    Windows 10

several hours later, same spinning dots. Power cycle, and the update process continued and the upgrade completed.
    I've no idea what to conclude.
    Be sure to do a pc restart, maybe look over what items are in your Startup list and simplify; allow plenty of time.

me75006, Sep 23, 2016
  8. me75006 Win User

Upgrade stuck at restart

On another dell E531, the upgrade completed with zero problems. (compared to E530 in previous post).

me75006, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade stuck at restart

1. Upgrade stuck at restart - Similar Threads - Upgrade stuck restart

2. Stuck on restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on restarting: Hi I have core i5 laptop os ASUS I am facing issue about my laptop screen stuck on restarting I try the method like first power off and windows +x+deletealso windows +x+power off but the screen showing same pls anybody help me to solve this issue...
  3. Stuck on restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on restarting: Hi I have core i5 laptop os ASUS I am facing issue about my laptop screen stuck on restarting I try the method like first power off and windows +x+deletealso windows +x+power off but the screen showing same pls anybody help me to solve this issue...
  4. Restart stuck

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart stuck: So i got a Srttrial logfile error an cant load up past the window loadup screen an cant even reset my pc its stays on 1% been like it for 12hrs now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restart-stuck/62b3fa1e-9112-42cc-804f-7aad204ef8b5
  5. Restart stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart stuck: So i got a Srttrial logfile error an cant load up past the window loadup screen an cant even reset my pc its stays on 1% been like it for 12hrs now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restart-stuck/62b3fa1e-9112-42cc-804f-7aad204ef8b5
  6. Restart stuck

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart stuck: Sir, my laptop stuck at restart icon and after turning off and on more than 3 times, its not repairing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restart-stuck/3e68bacb-5b57-4525-aefb-911780f84fe7
  7. Stuck on restarting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on restarting: Hello everyone, just finished doing the latest update on my laptop yesterday. When I tried restarting it today it took me 30 minutes and it's still going. What should I do? submitted by /u/Claudiu1998 [link] [comments]...
  8. Stuck at Restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at Restarting: Hello, My friend recently installed Microsoft DotNet Framework in his windows 10 64 bit. He then tried to restart his PC but it was stuck with a message "Getting Windows ready. Do not turn off your computer" . What should we do , its been 2 hours ? Sorry for the bad English...
  9. Stuck at restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at restart: I tried to cleanup my laptop using disk cleanup utility. But disk cleanup stuck at "system update cleanup" so I just cancelled it in middle an then restart my laptop. But it stuck at "getting windows ready Don't turn off your computer" for 1 hour when I Am writing this...
  10. Stuck on 'Restarting'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on 'Restarting': Windows was failing to update. So I've inputed these commands into cmd as suggested by others. SC config wuauserv start= auto SC config bits start= auto SC config cryptsvc start= auto SC config trustedinstaller start= auto However, after I restarted my computer, it gets...