Windows 10: Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu

Discus and support Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I did the Fall Creator update and found that my Start Menu and Tiles did no longer contain my apps. Regular programs, Office, Edge, etc. show up as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Terrysch, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Terrysch Win User

Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu

I did the Fall Creator update and found that my Start Menu and Tiles did no longer contain my apps. Regular programs, Office, Edge, etc. show up as they should but apps like facebook, MyRadar, Solitaire(s), etc. do not. The apps are still on the computer and can be accessed thru Search. I ran MS Start Menu Troubleshooter and it was not able to fix the problem and told me that the Tile Database was corrupted. I do not have a backup of that. Is it possible to recreate the database.

When I run one of the apps and try to check the "Add to Start Menu" choice, they are always greyed out.

Thank ahead of time for any assistance you may provide.
    TerryS

:)

Terrysch, Oct 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 start menu broken after updating to Windows 10 Falls Creator Upgrade

This is one of the most annoying issues that many users have faced after they upgraded their OS to the latest version i.e. Windows 10 Fall Creatos Upgrade. You can't add anything to the start menu, and if you can add one or two tiles, after an interval it
    freezes again. Anyways if you want to get rid this of issue then you can read this post

How to fix start menu crashes in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Ayan Bhattacharjee, Oct 18, 2017
  3. ConiGL Win User
    Pin\unpin to Start Menu Not Working in Windows 10

Check out these two pages even if the app is installed the instructions here should fix them .They both deal with issues of the start menu and the start menu layout. Especially check the second link .Dont have any idea if this works as I am not having these
    problems .Hope it helps though and I don't think it can hurt as it is just reregistering the components.

[FIX] Apps Missing After Upgrading To Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

[How To] Re-register Start Menu In Windows 10

ConiGL, Oct 18, 2017
  4. davidhk Win User

Suggestions : Please do them in the order the 2 suggestions are listed and check if problem solved before proceed to next suggestion.

1. Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    Open elevated command prompt > type sfc /scannow > Enter

2. Right click at Start button > select PowerShell (Admin) > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Oct 19, 2017
  5. After some of the major updates some of my tiles vanish. Always the small sized ones. But right click on the square where they belong and it's there for me to resize. Change it, then change it back and I'm good till the next time.

Good luck.

Wiley Coyote, Oct 19, 2017
  6. Terrysch Win User
    David,
    Thanks for that.
    SFC did not find any corrupt files. The AppX command reeled by 103 items and at the end, nothing had changed in the Start Menu after a reboot. I have no idea what AppX did but the screen action was impressive.
    TerryS

Terrysch, Oct 19, 2017
  7. Steve5000 Win User
    Windows 10 update version 1709
    Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu [​IMG]

After downloading Windows 10 update version 1709 , my computer has been restarting for the past three hours. The screen in black with a white circular pinwheel at the bottom center of the screen.
    Is this restart time normal on a Dell XPS 8500 with a i7 3770 processor and 24 GBs of RAM?
    If not, what do you suggest I do to restart my computer for normal use at this point?
    Thank you,
    Steve

Steve5000, Oct 19, 2017
  8. Terrysch Win User

Clayton,
    I just tried the right-click but no joy. Thanks for your help!
    TerryS

Terrysch, Oct 19, 2017
  9. davidhk Win User
    To : Terrysch

My suggestion is to do a Repair Install.

Use this link :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

Scroll down and click the Download Tool Now button > click Run > click Yes > click Accept >
    Select Create installation media for another PC > Next > if the Language and Architecture are correct, click Next
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the downloaded ISO file > click Mount > click Setup.exe ( or Setup )
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

Here is the detail tutorial on Repair Install:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Terrysch Win User
    David,
    I'll try that but it will need to wait a couple of weeks. I'm leaving home tomorrow for a 2 week trip and will continue this when I get back.
    Again, thanks for your help and suggestions.
    TerryS

Terrysch, Oct 19, 2017
  11. davidhk Win User
    Have a wonderful trip.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu - Similar Threads - Upgrade Fall Creator

2. How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade: I tried to use the method I used to stop 14393.1715 from upgrading to The CU but with 15063,632 that method stops all updates. Does anyone know of a workable one as 16299 will not work properly on my PC. 94817
  3. After upgrading to fall creator, Printer not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After upgrading to fall creator, Printer not working: Yesterday, I upgrade windows to fall creator and now my HP 1020 Plus printer (2017 Mfg) is not working. I ran the MS troubleshooter but it did not find any problem. 97000
  4. Fall Creators Upgrade, ATI PowerPlay, BSOD

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Fall Creators Upgrade, ATI PowerPlay, BSOD: fresh install to fall creators update, installed legacy drivers as usual (v10.2). this time, if i try to change powerplay settings windows gives me a BSOD. does anyone know if it is possible to set/change something in the .inf file to reduce power consumption?!...
  5. windows 10 fall creators update start menu button

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 fall creators update start menu button: hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I seem to have a problem at times with the start menu button(left hand corner) does not always work, any help please? thank you, *Smile 95889
  6. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  7. fall creator update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  8. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  9. Start Menu and taskbar Not working in fall creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and taskbar Not working in fall creators update: I have seen many people with same problem even with 3 times clean install of Windows 10 fall creators update . Any one with same problem ? 96575
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....