Windows 10: Upgrade to larger ssd problem

Discus and support Upgrade to larger ssd problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Upgrade to larger ssd problem

I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order.

But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop.

Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot?

:)

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  2. den.ward Win User

Windows activation key

I upgraded the SSD to a larger capacity. I cloned the smaller SSD on to the larger SSD. It boots.

Now the PC is telling me that I need to activate Windows. I called Microsoft and they put me into an automated activation key process. It was not successful.

Can someone advise me on how to recover the activation key from the smaller SSD? It came, Windows 10 enabled, with the machine.

den.ward, Dec 21, 2017
  3. upgrading hdd to larger ssd/hd

Hi Jacko,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

As this was used by an Organization, you need to purchase new product key to activate.

For Microsoft Store purchases and questions, visit
    Sales and Support

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Dec 21, 2017
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

Just a bit more info:

when it boots, it just comes to a screen that says there has been a problem and we'll restart.

I pulled the USB drive, and booted up. I plugged in the USB drive and compared it to the C: drive in Drive Manager, and it appeared the same. I rebooted, and it went into a recovery mode. I was tempted to tell it to repair the drive, but I wasn't sure it would do that to the D: drive as opposed to the C: drive.

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    If you actually cloned the old SSD to the New SSD all you need to do is remove the old SSD, put your bios to boot from windows Boot manager and boot up. Attach your old SSD VIA USB either with a SATA to USB or external case. and format it

Clintlgm, Dec 21, 2017
  6. 56Kruiser Win User
    I finally read the small text below the QR code, which says "Inaccessible boot device".

When that happens, it is after I have set USB device above Boot Manager, expecting to boot from the USB I cloned. (I do have that drive in an enclosure and hooked to the USB port on the laptop).

Makes me think that something didn't take on the cloning. When I look at the c: drive, and the USB drive in Disk Manager, they are similar, but of course the C: drive lists this in the box:

Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash, Dump, Primary Partition)

The cloned drive shows this:

Healthy (Primary Partition)

I really hate to pull the bottom of this new PC if the drive won't work. Is there a reason you can think of why the cloned drive hooked up this way would not boot?

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  7. 56Kruiser Win User
    I found some articles on inaccessible boot device. Suggestions were to go into safe mode, then reboot normally. I can't get it to go into safe mode, even after setting it in MSCONFIG.

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  8. 56Kruiser Win User

I found some articles on inaccessible boot device. Suggestions were to go into safe mode, then reboot normally. I can't get it to go into safe mode, even after setting it in MSCONFIG.

I could get it to boot to safe mode when booting off the C: drive.

I'm tempted to tell it to reinstall windows from the recovery. Just afraid it will do it to the C: drive rather than the USB drive. But, I guess, that shouldn't be a problem. I may give that a try.

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  9. Word Man Win User
    I think the basic problem is expecting the clone of that internal disk to boot through a USB port. I've seen ways to make that external clone boot through the USB port but can't find an up to date solution as of yet.

You'll have to open the PC eventually to install it so why not give it a try? - you can always reverse it if it doesn't work.

Word Man, Dec 21, 2017
  10. 56Kruiser Win User
    I suspect you are correct.

I probably will end up going down that route.

Thanks for the input.

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  11. Word Man Win User
    Please let us know how it works out or of any further problems. Good Luck!

BTW, some folks here, myself included, went the route (with Macrium) of simply imaging the old disk to an external USB and, after installing the new disk, booting from Macrium Rescue and restoring the image. The new disk booted fine and Windows made any driver adjustments necessary on its own. That's another way to skin the cat.

Also @56Kruiser - did you clone using Macrium live in Windows or booted from Macrium rescue media? Booting into Macrium WinPE based rescue media may be a more reliable means for this operation.

Word Man, Dec 21, 2017
  12. 56Kruiser Win User
    I appreciate all the help, folks.

I probably didn't do the best method. I hooked the new SSD drive to USB, then cloned the boot disk from within the PC after booting. Seeing the recommendations, I see a better way to do that.

All this being said, I have pulled the bottom and find that the SSD 'drive' in the computer is actually a Sandisk 128GB stick:

Upgrade to larger ssd problem [​IMG]

The good news is that the 'new' ssd is not a new one, but one I pulled from my old laptop that I parted out. It is a good Samsung EVO drive.

So the computer has no CD/DVD. I presume my course of action should be:

• Get a 512 GB stick (actually what I pictured above)
    • When it arrives, image backup the current boot drive
    • make a recovery USB stick (I presume I can do that...maybe I should give it a try given my failure with the attempt I just made)
    • Boot to the USB
    • Restore to the new installed SSD card

Make sense?

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  13. Word Man Win User

Word Man, Dec 21, 2017
  14. 56Kruiser Win User
    Thanks!

I wonder if not having a master boot record on the cloned drive was why I couldn't get it to boot. Makes no difference now, of course.

If that's teh case, makes me think that clone is not truly a clone function.

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
  15. 56Kruiser Win User
    I just went over to that link and thought I'd go through the process to see if I can get it to work.

It doesn't say, so I'll ask if you know: Do I go through that process first, then go trough the create PE Disk process through Macrium? I am thinking surely so, but thought I'd ask first.

Thanks...

56Kruiser, Dec 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgrade to larger ssd problem - Similar Threads - Upgrade larger ssd

2. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  3. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  4. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  5. Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows: Not sure if this is the right sub for this but, I currently have an OMEN b HP 17-inch Gaming Laptop w/ 144Hz Anti-Glare G-Sync Display, with GTX 1060. Series number: 17-an120nr It came installed with a 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive + 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive. I...
  6. Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?: I have purchased an OEM laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. The laptop packaging box or label on the back of the laptop did not have a Window 10 product key listed anywhere. However I've found the product key from command line like so which gives me a 25 digit key wmic...
  7. Problems Upgrading to an SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems Upgrading to an SSD: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) I recently purchased a Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 3576. I have a 1 TB Seagate HDD. It is in good condition, I just wanted the upgrade in speed. I followed the instructions from Crucial by using...
  8. 2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd: hi I have a pc with 1 m2 ssd drive on which win 10 is active how do I transfer everything including win 10 on it to the newer bigger drive and use the bigger one as a replacement c drive I don't have the product key as win was pre installed...
  9. Image restore on larger SSD

Image restore on larger SSD: Is it possible to restore a Windows 10 system image taken from a 60Gb SSD to a new 240gb SSD on the same computer? I am thinking of using the windows 10 installation USB to boot then repair to recover the image onto the 240Gb SSD. Would this work? Does partition size affect...
  10. How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?: Hi, I need to upgrade my C drive from 256GB to 1TB. (both are SSD) I want to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. Can I just create a system image onto an external drive, swap the drives, and reboot to restore the 256GB image onto the new 1TB drive? (instead of having both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I upgraded my ssd but windows doesnt show the larger drive