Windows 10: Upgrade to SSD Process

Discus and support Upgrade to SSD Process in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; New guy with 1st question, so hello all! I am considering upgrading my C: drive (500Gb HD) with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 240Gb SSD. I am fairly confident... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WIanB, Sep 9, 2016.

1. WIanB Win User

Upgrade to SSD Process

New guy with 1st question, so hello all!
    I am considering upgrading my C: drive (500Gb HD) with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 240Gb SSD. I am fairly confident with the cloning process but just to make sure:

1. Will I have to reduce the partition size of the HD to 240 Gb - I'm guessing that I will have to in order for things to 'fit'?
    2. Will a 'straight forward' clone do the job or will some other sort of magic be required? I will use Acronis to clone the drive.
    3. And the crunch question! The Windows 10 Home version installed is OEM, will MS throw a fit with the change of drive?

:)

WIanB, Sep 9, 2016

2. 99% memory usage of 8GB of memory?

I had this same issue, before upgrading to win 10 I had pagefiling set to another hard drive to save space on my ssd, the upgrade reverted this to the ssd and I on experiencing this issue i could see it and defaulted back maybe getting issues during the
    process.

GarnetHeller, Sep 9, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade with a new SSD

I bought a new SSD with the intention of using it for my OS following the release of Windows 10. I am aware that the free upgrade process will not allow me to perform a clean install to this new drive without upgrading my existing Windows installation first,
    so I am wondering what my options are for keeping my current Windows 7 installation on my HDD while upgrading on the SSD.

If I install Windows 7 on the SSD from the disc or clone/migrate my current installation from the HDD to the SSD, will I be able to initiate the Windows 10 upgrade on the SSD, or will my reservation be lost in the migration?

WrekinMike, Sep 9, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Upgrade to SSD Process

Hi' Welcome.
    1. Yes you can't stick something bigger in something else smaller.
    2. I would suggest making full system backup of so adjusted partitions with Macrium Reflect if you have a place to temporarily store it somewhere else and than restore it to SSD but above all, a clean install on SSD would be ultimately best solution. Before clean installation you should change SATA to AHI mode for it's best operation.
    3.No, MS will not "throw a fit" because of disk change, license is tied up to your MB only.

CountMike, Sep 9, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    As long as the files/data occupied in the 500GB HD can fit the 240GB SSD.
    It is advisable to copy the partitions instead of cloning. By copying, the SSD cluster size will be properly aligned.
    IMHO, The easiest way is to use: Macrium Reflect Free which you can copy from the HDD to SSD directly while running Windows. No need to backup/Restore as advised by others.
    Example:
    Source disk (250GB) contains all windows partitions
    Destination (150GB) contains all partitions from Source disk.
    With the destination disk connected. Boot up Windows and run Macrium. Follow the video to copy:
    [youtube]kMEOIU0zIdw[/youtube]

topgundcp, Sep 9, 2016
  6. WIanB Win User
    Thanks to both for the quick replies! Whilst I am happy on reducing the size of the HD partition copying seems the way to go, simple and quick Upgrade to SSD Process :) A clean install would be a major pain as all apps are also on the C: drive.
    I will download Macrium Reflect as it does seem to be very popular.

WIanB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade to SSD Process

1. Upgrade to SSD Process - Similar Threads - Upgrade SSD Process

2. Upgrading ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading ssd: Would I need to buy a new windows 11 OS key if I upgrade my ssd to a larger capacity? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-ssd/006bae5e-6a8c-4d39-92c8-bf248cce0d91
  3. Upgrade to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to SSD: Hi All. I'm new on here so hello first of all, and I'm hoping you can give me some advice and tips. I have successfully upgraded a few desktop pc's to SSD at work, using Acronis cloning software and haven't come across any issues with them. it is a simple process of...
  4. Upgrading SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading SSD: I recently ordered a new SSD and before I do anything insensible I want to be sure what I am trying to do is legit, I am currently using windows on a 256GB SSD which I want to upgrade to a 500GB and run windows from there, is this possible with the activation key I am...
  5. SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Upgrade: Hi I have just upgraded my HP Envy laptop from a HDD to the SSD, in particular the Samsung 870 QVO 1TB drive.. Reading on the web I notice that SSD's have a lifespan and this drive is warranted from Samsung for 3 years or 360TBW.. Using there software it shows that since...
  6. Upgrading SSD

Upgrading SSD: Good day, I would like to ask since I am thinking of upgrading my M.2 Sata III SSD to a much bigger one. Is there a way to duplicate my Windows 10 Home to the newly bought SSD without loosing my files and as well my license of Windows. If so I would like to ask how and the...
  7. Upgrade to SSD

Upgrade to SSD: Hi there.. how can I use my SSD for my windows 10 OS, programs and HDD for storage? I tried to clone it but, only got 120GB SSD and my (C) drive got 220GB. should I do clean install or can I just clone my OS to SSD? is there way to do it? Thanks In Advance.....
  8. SSD processed 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD processed 100%: Hi guys, Quite often my C: drive is used 100% blocking the system for tens of seconds up to few minutes. Any idea what could cause this? I've tried turning off the antivirus, firefox... same thing. Thanks! [img] 41799
  9. Corrupted upgrade process?

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted upgrade process?: My desktop PC upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday morning--very smoothly, no problems. My laptop, though, has shown no sign of upgrading yet. What's more, when I click on "Learn More" in the upgrade window, nothing happens now. Before yesterday, it went through graphics of the...
  10. SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD upgrade: Hi all. I have a six year old Dell Studio 1747 laptop; which is still performing great. The only problem I've had with it was design flaw incorporating the on/off switch in the hinge. Anyways I digress. I have a 240GB SSD on order and plan on replacing the 500GB hard drive;...