Windows 10: Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

Discus and support Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kieran28, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Kieran28 Win User

Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

Hi there,
    I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other options that are out there. However, some of these options are in beta, and I don't want to be stuck with W10 and no WMC on this machine through the whole beta cycle, if they aren't working well enough to please "other family members." In that case I'd like to go back to using W7+WMC. But, I'd like to eventually go to W10 on this machine, as I prefer W10 to W7, but only after a good replacement for WMC is found for me.

I don't really want to do a dual boot solution, although if that's the best way I will consider it.

So... I'd like to know if it is possible to take the upgrade to W10 on this machine, use W10 for a couple weeks or months, then go back to W7 if I want, and be able to re-install W10 again (without having to then buy a license for W10) once a long term / permanent W10 DVR solution for me is available?

I'm thinking that if I take the upgrade, then create a clean install disc or usb stick for W10, I should be able to then go back and forth between W7 as much as I like, right? Or does MS limit this kind of thing somehow?

As always, thanks for any information, tips, advice, etc.

:)

Kieran28, Mar 9, 2016

2. Went back from W10 to W7, can I go back to W10 in the future?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, I will be glad to answer your query.

If Windows 10 is activated after upgrading from the previous operating system, you will be able to re-install Windows 10 anytime and get it activated as long as you do not make any hardware changes like changing your motherboard. Choose the option to "skip"
    the product key window and wait for 48 hours to get it activated. However, if Windows does not get activated, you can contact our product activation team for further assistance. For more information, refer the article below:

Get Help Activating Microsoft Windows

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Mar 9, 2016
  3. Allegrian Win User
    Went back from W10 to W7, can I go back to W10 in the future?

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 but went back to W7 and it's registered in my account. Will I be able to "reupgrade" to windows 10 for free in the future even if the first upgrade isn't free anymore?

Allegrian, Mar 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, once Win 10 has been activated on a PC, you can reinstall it as many times as you like. Even changing the HDD shouldn't affect that.

Do check your netbook is Win 10 compatible.

You wouldn't need to roll back the OS and later reinstall Win 10 - that would be horribly time consuming and could be tricky if you have problems getting Win 10 up first time.

Idea 1: you could even simply swap the HDD in your netbook if it's accessible- have your win 7 build on one drive, Win 10, once you've upgraded, on another HDD.

Idea 2: Or use disk imaging to put either your Win 7 or your Win 10 build on your one HDD in your netbook.
    If you want to change from Win 7 to Win 10 with all programs and drivers quickly without dual booting you can use disk imaging and create an image of each, starting with your present Win 7.

E.g.
    1. Create a disk image of your Win 7 disk/partition before upgrading to Win 10 (a very good and wise precaution as it's possible to end up with an unbootable system - I did 1st time 'cos of one program installed).

2. Upgrade to Win 10, make sure it works reasonably

3. Create a new base disk image of your Win 10 disk/partition

4. Complete any trials/configuration/tests/updates for your win 10 build

5. Update your Win 10 disk image

Now you can restore your disk image for Win 10 or Win 7 at will, and with SSD and USB3, that's reasonably quick - say < 15 mins.

Disk imaging:
    Macrium Reflect free is favoured by many here.
    I still use Aomei Backupper, though some have reported issues previously with some disk configurations with SSDs. (And I have an SSD/hybrid HDD on this PC).

** make sure when you 1st install your disk imaging program to create its bootable medium.

When you upgrade to Win 10, download and save the iso/create bootable Win 10 medium rather than simply upgradin by download. Why? If things go wrong you've got the bootable medium there to try again, or boot from, and it's very useful if you need to do an in-place upgrade repair install.

Keep updating your disk image for both as appropriate (incremental images are smaller and faster than the base image).

Drivers:
    Be aware Uncle MS takes responsibility for your drivers. This can be problematic in some cases, but is meant to free you from updating drivers for your PC yourself. Don't try driver scanner programs in Win 10 unless you really can't find a driver (which has been my case twice) or for devices MS doesn't support.

dalchina, Mar 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible? - Similar Threads - Upgrade W10 roll

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. W10 went back to w7 and cant load account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 went back to w7 and cant load account: So, shut down pc. Unplugged and plugged it later. Started up, and notice a disk isnt working.a normal hdd. Shut down, remoged the power, opened pc and saw a SATA disconnected. Put it back in. Powered it again. It prompted a disk check. After that, it went to W7 and...
  6. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  7. Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?: Hello, I was sure I would be able to use W7 Pro OEM key I have spare to upgrade my W10 Home to Pro (preinstalled OEM OA), but when I try to change product key in Settings> Updates> Activation, the W7 key is refused with 0x004f210 error. Did I misunderstood the process or is...
  8. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?: I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key. So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10...
  9. VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7)

VIDEO: Upgrading W7 to W10 9926 (and rolled back to W7): For those who are thinking about upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, here's how I did it. I upgraded WIn 7 to Win 10 and then I rolled it back to Win 7 again. Warning: 16mins video from start to finish (you can fast forward at will). Total upgrade and rollback time is about...
  10. Suddenly Going back to W7 while Installing W10

Suddenly Going back to W7 while Installing W10: I was installing W10 and got that black screen with the big white circle. Then, once it restarted. When it booted again, suddenly a screen came up saying "Attempting to Recover Installation" then saying "Restoring your previous version of Windows....". Why does this happen?...