Windows 10: Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

Discus and support Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Nortonian, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Nortonian Win User

Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense?
    1. Install the SSD and clone my existing boot HDD (C*Smile to it
    2. Make the SSD the boot drive C: and my HDD the D: drive
    3. Use the above mentioned DVD to perform a Clean Install on the SSD (to get rid of all the Win 7 crud built up on it)
    4. Just reinstall Office, Lightroom, Photoshop etc as required, on the SSD

My questions are:
    Would Microsoft allow Activation on the new system (and how do I contact them to find out)?
    Will the Windows.old folder created last week still be deleteable if it is now on the D: drive?
    Doing (3) above won't create another windows.old will it?

Apologies for so many questions on my first Post!

:)

Nortonian, Aug 10, 2015

2. Can't UPGRADE to Win10 but can to a clean install but requires a product key?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for showing interest in Windows 10.

I would like to know, from which Windows version you are trying to upgrade to Windows 10?

Please be informed that, if you are upgrading from genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 then the Windows 10 makes use of those product keys. If you are performing clean installation of the Windows 10 then you will have to purchase the product key for activation.

I suggest you to refer to the following Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa no
    How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails and check if it helps.

How to: Fix Windows 10 Setup Failure

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Can't UPGRADE to Win10 but can to a clean install but requires a product key?

My user and program files are located on the system directory.

Brian Bosse, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

if you clone the drive - anything on the drive will be copied over

I would just try to clean install to SSD (with HDD unplugged) and see if you get activation..

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    and he should. That's what I would do.

NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2015
  6. Nortonian Win User
    Hi Guys

Thanks for that! You must know that the ISO disk will install straight on to the blank SSD?

I thought I had a great reason for cloning the C: drive, but now I can't think of it, so I will give it a go.

Cheers

Nortonian, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Win10 followed

2. Upgrade to Win10 Pro & to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Win10 Pro & to new SSD: Hi All, I have query related to fresh SSD Installation. My current HDD is dead & I have new SATA SSD to be install on my Dell Inspiron. Can you please let me know how I can install SSD on laptop with fresh WIN 10 Pro / Home edition OS installation. Currently I have...
  3. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  4. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  5. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  6. Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors

Clean Win10 install on New SSD- formatting errors: Hi all, Operator skill level- medium - its been 4.5 years since my last build, zero experience installing Win8 or Win10 Brand new Clean install from full WIndows 10 USB3.0 retail package Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 16 Gig...
  7. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD: Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD. 1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD...
  8. Change these settings after clean install win10 on a new SSD?

Change these settings after clean install win10 on a new SSD?: Greetings. After some troubble with a few games and settings, I installed windows 10 pro on a SSD. I then got this list, which I was told to use as my PC is mainly a gamer-PC. Can you recommend me to use this list complete, or is it "too much"? I really can't see why I...
  9. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...
  10. Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?

Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?: My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10. My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new one, which I now have. My plan was to create a Win10 ISO flash drive, replace my current SSD boot drive with the new one, and do...