Windows 10: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account?

Discus and support Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi Guys n Gals, I have just upgraded to Win 10 pro from Win 7 Pro and immediately I have encountered an issue. On the initial startup it asked me... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by foggy58, Sep 24, 2015.

1. foggy58 Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account?

Hi Guys n Gals,

I have just upgraded to Win 10 pro from Win 7 Pro and immediately I have encountered an issue.

On the initial startup it asked me for my Live/Hotmail credentials which I duly submitted and since then when I start my laptop it asks for my Live password.

Now, I have looked around the general consensus is to go to the User Accounts section and choose "Sign In With Local Account" - however I do not have that option!??

Looking at the Users & Computers section it appears that what was my local Admin Account is now some hybrid between that and my Live account?

Can I revert back to just having my local admin account? Despite my best efforts I cant figure it out.

Any advice would be great!! *Biggrin

I have attached a couple of pics so you can see what I mean.

Many thanks,

Foggy

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account? [​IMG]

:)

foggy58, Sep 24, 2015

2. Bitlocker in Windows 10 without TPM

I've tried following these instructions on 2 Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro upgrade machines, on a domain. Neither work. I still get the dialog box saying an Administrator has to make this change. I'm a domain admin as well as an Administrator on the
    local machine. What should I do?

doug holtz, Sep 24, 2015
  3. A123 Win User
    Corrupt User Accounts

I observed after an In-Place upgrade of Windows 10 Pro that the pc has a corrupt Admin and Non-Admin Local account. The Admin account has installed some apps so I am not totally sure about deleting the account. I deleted and recreated the Non-Admin account
    with no good result Reverting back to the previous version of Windows 10 did not take care of the issue. After reverting back, I do not see the option for system image restore in the advanced startup screen. WSreset.exe, sfc, dism and other suggestions
    found online have not work. A In-Place upgrade does not work now because of the revert back. Any suggestions?

** Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate **

4. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account?

I can't see the attachments.

BTW "Guys 'n' Gals" is no longer a cool form of address ☺

nigelmercier, Sep 24, 2015
  5. foggy58 Win User
    My Apologies,

Many thanks

Foggy

foggy58, Sep 24, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    On the "Your Account" screen you should have "sign on with local account instead" as per this Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The "User Accounts" screen also has "Domain" which for a home user should not be there. Perhaps you clicked on "My organization owns this"?

Try changing it to WORKGROUP, rebooting, and see if that helps.

Go to System > Change Settings > Change and see if your computer is member of Workgroup (normally called WORKGROUP) not a domain.

Otherwise you could perhaps make another local administrator account instead.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I will bet that when you booted the computer for the first time after the upgrade it asked a question similar to "Is this a work computer" or "I own this PC" - something like that. You picked the wrong choice, you picked "work computer" and should have been "I own this PC".

Now we need to try to figure out how to go back and change that option. Halasz suggestion to change to a Workgroup vice domain might do it, not sure.

NavyLCDR, Sep 24, 2015
  8. foggy58 Win User

Hi guys - apologies for the delay in replying I was in the process of also moving house.

I can confirm my laptop was part of a domain but I have done as @halasz has suggested and changed ait to a work group and still I am unable to revert back to just my local admin account. However the "Your Account" screen has slightly changed - see below.

Any further advice / guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks once again

Foggy

http://s7.postimg.org/okzay5z2z/Capture.png

foggy58, Oct 2, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Pro has

2. Local admin account password - Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local admin account password - Windows 10: Hi, my laptop suffers from occasional disk errors and I get into disk repair mode. I get asked for a password I assume admin and enter it successfully - job done? Not exactly, I can't figure out how to change this password as I can't see a password change option under account...
  3. upgrade win 10 home local account to win 10 pro, with local account.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade win 10 home local account to win 10 pro, with local account.: I would like to know what options are available for upgrading my Win 10 Home, with local account, to Win 10 Pro, also with local account,. I'm looking for instructions that are suitable for the device remaining as a local account. Changing the device from a local account...
  4. windows 10 pro local account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 pro local account.: Hi, I am new to desktop and I`m learning as i go, My question is where did I go WRONG? My windows administration account is active. When I visit account settings everything looks and seems ok, but almost any discussion it tells me I need administrative permission to make...
  5. Local admin account vs domain admin account

Local admin account vs domain admin account: Can both local admin account and domain admin account make changes on the Windows 10 Pro PC? Like installing programs, uninstalling, making network changes etc. Does one account has more access than the other?...
  6. Windows 10 Pro Local Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Pro Local Account: I have read that you can't make a local account anymore is this true? Will I not be able to make a local account if I purchase Windows 10 Pro in stores that come with the USB Stick? submitted by /u/JMatzelle993 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 local administrator has no admin rights

Windows 10 local administrator has no admin rights: This is a computer fresh out of the box. I am logged in as the local administrator. When I try go to personilize, then themes, then click on Desktop icon settings a pop up states that it can't access that folder because I dont have administrator rights. ummm I am the...
  8. Two local admin. account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two local admin. account: Have two Administrator accounts, both are shown as "Local. " Cannot delete/change the type of account. Windows keeps telling me I am signed in to the account. HELP 34557
  9. Running as a local Admin account

Running as a local Admin account: I am running Windows 10, currently running as a local Admin account and I am the only one using the machine. However, I am thinking to run as a Limited User instead by creating another User account as making that as an Admin account. Couple of questions though. 1). My...
  10. Windows 10 changed my Admin account to local

Windows 10 changed my Admin account to local: I have been using Windows 10 for months with only minor issues. I log in today and try to make a change and was unable to do so. I rebooted and when I logged in, it said I had a local account. Between yesterday and today, somehow my admin account was changed to local by...