Windows 10: Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO

Discus and support Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I don't have a lot of data at home so I downloaded the ISO at work. I tried a clean install but Windows won't accept my product key. Is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by petersteele, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO

Hi, I don't have a lot of data at home so I downloaded the ISO at work. I tried a clean install but Windows won't accept my product key.

Is it possible to bypass the download in Windows 8 and upgrade using the ISO I downloaded?

Thank you.

:)

petersteele, Jul 28, 2015

2. How to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows 10 ISO.

Original Title: Windows 10 upgrade

Good day! I have an HP Laptop with Windows 8.1 with Bing in it. I mistakenly downloaded a Windows 10 iso (without knowing that it should be Windows 10 Home). Can I upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 (not Windows 10 Home)?

Brenden Molina, Jul 28, 2015
  3. How to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows 10 ISO.

Hi Brenden,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with upgrading to Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "Windows 8.1 with Bing in it", are you having Windows 8.1 Basic edition or home edition?
    • When you say that "downloaded a Windows 10 iso", which edition of Windows 10 have you downloaded?
    • When you say that "Can I upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 (not Windows 10 Home)?", are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10 home or other edition of Windows 10?

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 28, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO

Sure.

If you're upgrading an activate Windows 8 installation, just mount the .iso. (Double click it.) Start the upgrade from setup.exe, and run through the upgrade. Alternately, do the same thing from the device you prepared to do the clean install. (Launch it from within WIndows 8. Don't boot from the install medium.)

You shouldn't be asked for a key, and Win 10 should activate.

You do not receive a Win 10 license key with the free upgrade. The activation servers are supposed to recognize your hardware after the first upgrade install, permitting you to clean install on the same hardware in the future.

bobkn, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Thanks! Just a follow up question. Will this only work if you reserve the upgrade with the Windows icon in the tray?

The reason I'm asking is because I clean installed and to get that icon back I probably have to download all the updates or is there a specific update needed to get the upgrade icon?

6. bobkn Win User
    You can run the upgrade from the .iso. Unfortunately, to be activated, you have to initially do the installation as an upgrade over an activated Windows 8. (Supposedly, subsequent clean installs will activate, if done on the same hardware.)

I doubt that you need to have all of the Win8 updates installed. Unfortunately, you may need Win 8.1 rather than 8.0. I hope that you can get there without needing to do a gigabyte or so of update downloads.

That's why I keep an image of my Win 8.1 drive on hand. I can restore it in about 10 minutes, to recover from any blunders I've made in the Win 10 upgrade.

bobkn, Jul 28, 2015
  7. It worked from Windows 8 without any updates! Thanks for the help. Great to see the Microsoft community being such good neighbours.

8. brainout Win User

Peter, are you saying you have an activated Windows 10 install from an 8.0 activation, for FREE? Using the download tool? That's a big question mark in our bleepingcomputer forum, here. Thank you for whatever time you spend, in reply!

brainout, Jul 29, 2015
  9. I can confirm the subsequent clean install does NOT work. It will use the generic key and not activate. I am beyond pissed at how many times I have reinstalled windows at this point.

RECONBunny, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Hi, sorry for the late reply. It did indeed work for me. It says Windows is activated under activation. The reason why it worked for me and not for others might be that although I upgraded from 8, I did already have 8.1 installed and activated on my system previously.

petersteele, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO - Similar Threads - Upgrade using ISO

2. Upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 without Using ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 without Using ISO: Hi, I have Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an I7 8th Gen with 16gb ram. I had to manual change the security setting for TPM in the BIOS after that my PC meets all the requirements based on the PC check, but for some reason the windows update is not recognizing the changes. Is...
  3. Upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 without Using ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 without Using ISO: Hi, I have Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an I7 8th Gen with 16gb ram. I had to manual change the security setting for TPM in the BIOS after that my PC meets all the requirements based on the PC check, but for some reason the windows update is not recognizing the changes. Is...
  4. Upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 without Using ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. repair upgrade using windows 10 ISO file

repair upgrade using windows 10 ISO file: need to repair win 10. keeps crashing during updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repair-upgrade-using-windows-10-iso-file/b6308f78-26d0-4099-91a3-68e4dcc648ee
  6. No device drivers when upgrade to windows 10 using iso boot usb

No device drivers when upgrade to windows 10 using iso boot usb: Hi I have a laptop locked out in windows 7 - I was advised to make a windows 10 usb iso boot from usb to re format the laptop to windows 10, however everytime I try to install I get a message saying 'No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media...
  7. Can I use the 1909 iso disc to upgrade Windows 10 to 1909?

Can I use the 1909 iso disc to upgrade Windows 10 to 1909?: If I download the iso disc found here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO and run the disc while Windows 10 is running, wil it offer to upgrade to 1909 or will it offer to reinstall Windows? I ask because I only have Internet access in libraries...
  8. Installing using ISO upgrade to 10 from 7.1

Installing using ISO upgrade to 10 from 7.1: I want to go this route using the ISO from the media creation tool using a DVD disc..since I have heard that upgrading directly from Windows update can give poor results. I basically want to wipe all other files off my PC except for the original factory items. I...
  9. Upgrade or ISO?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade or ISO?: I see that this forum is exploding. I'm not at all a surprised. One thing that I want to ask is this. Microsoft has called it a free Upgrade since day one. Are or will they let us clean install with an ISO or are we just wishing and making assumptions? I don't know and, I am...
  10. 3 PC's: Free upgrade using ISO?

3 PC's: Free upgrade using ISO?: I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it, sorry. The MS site only explains the GWX.exe app as the way to get the free upgrade from Win7. I have 3 PCs to upgrade. If I make a DVD using the MCT, option "Create installation media for other PC's", can I use it for the...