Windows 10: upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

Discus and support upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i know its been asked before, but most of the related posts on the subject are almost 2 years old - millenia in computing terms so im looking to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Adam-Paynter, Jul 25, 2018.

1. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

i know its been asked before, but most of the related posts on the subject are almost 2 years old - millenia in computing terms

so im looking to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 - instigated by experiencing an oculus VR headset and touch controllers over the weekend and reading that most future VR titles will require windows 10 to run

friends and colleagues all assure me that it is a relatively easy and bug-free process these days, however i do have 4 hard drives in the machine to contend with:

1 SSD for the OS

1 SSD for games

1 SSD for work programs & data

1 HDD as a data backup

my understanding is that i should certainly unplug all the non-OS hard drives before applying the upgrade, however that any programs on the extra drives will not run after the upgrade and will need to be formatted / reinstalled

is this still the case?

:)

Adam-Paynter, Jul 25, 2018
  2. little cat, Jul 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Jul 25, 2018
  4. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

1. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives - Similar Threads - upgrade multiple hard

2. Windows 10 multiple hard drive slowdown issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 multiple hard drive slowdown issue: I have 4 hard drives, totally 9tb of space, and my computer thinks it's all 1 drive for some reason. It says it's only using 30% of hard disk space, but it's actually using the entirety of the master drive and causing massive slowdown. I didn't have this problem with windows...
  3. Windows 10 multiple hard drive slowdown issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 multiple hard drive slowdown issue: I have 4 hard drives, totally 9tb of space, and my computer thinks it's all 1 drive for some reason. It says it's only using 30% of hard disk space, but it's actually using the entirety of the master drive and causing massive slowdown. I didn't have this problem with windows...
  4. Windows 10 multiple hard drive slowdown issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10: Hello, I replaced an old HDD drive with SSD drive. I had a Windows 7 home edition on old hard disk. Now I am trying to re-use the same product key on Windows 10 installed fresh on new SSD. It is not allowing me to enter. Because it has different format and number of...
  6. Multiple Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Hard Drives: I have a second hard drive in computer that is setup for D: drive. Windows decided that D: drive is a music file and thus whenever I access files on that drive I cannot see file extensions and dates. Windows brings up the music tools options and the file headers are artist,...
  7. installing windows 10 with multiple hard drives installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing windows 10 with multiple hard drives installed: I am going to do a fresh install windows of Win 10 on my computer which was running Win 7. I have 3 hard drives installed. Windows will be installed on my c Drive and my D and E drive have a lot of saved graphics on them. Will Windows only install itself on the C drive or...
  8. Resetting Windows with multiple hard drives.

Resetting Windows with multiple hard drives.: Hello there. I recently built myself my new gaming PC and have been enjoying it. I went with mostly MSI parts to sync the RGB lighting. While messing around with the program for it, (Dragon Center) i uninstalled it incorrectly by deleting the files for it instead of using the...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives

Windows 10 upgrade failure - multiple drives: I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a SSD with the OS on it and 2 TB drives for data. I have tried ALL the initial suggestions, fixes but always get the "Something happened" message right at the end of the install. The error I am getting in the...
  10. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive: A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this? 59709