Windows 10: Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification

Discus and support Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Are the files the same when using the Media Creation tool immediate upgrade vs waiting for the Windows download notification? I am upgrading from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification

Are the files the same when using the Media Creation tool immediate upgrade vs waiting for the Windows download notification? I am upgrading from Windows 7 Pro . Tks

:)

sportflyer, Dec 12, 2015

2. Wait or use media creation tool?

Hi,

If you are unable to wait for the upgrade to be offered to your computer, then you may use the Media Creation tool. There is no advantages and disadvantages of doing media creation tool vs waiting for the upgrade.

Download Windows 10

Vinod Archak, Dec 12, 2015
  3. Can I start Windows 10 installation from the old downloaded setup files

Hi,

Have you downloaded iso of Windows 10?

You can install Windows 10 using the downloaded files through the Media creation tool. Try to turn off notifications to upgrade to Windows 10 and then use your downloaded files to install Windows 10.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Windows 10 herunterladen

How do I turn off notifications to upgrade to Windows 10?

How do I turn off notifications to upgrade to Windows 10?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Dec 12, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification

davidhk, Dec 12, 2015
  5. OK . I will use MCT . I asked because I wasn't sure whether the display drivers are different between the 2 types of upgrade. Btw after upgrading with MCT is the Windows Reservation notification automatically deleted or do I have to manually cancel it.

sportflyer, Dec 12, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    That will be history, gone automatically. Never seen again.

davidhk, Dec 12, 2015
  7. OK and Thanks for the quick responses.

sportflyer, Dec 12, 2015
  8. Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification

I did the upgrade this afternoon. It went smoothly . Took about the same time as my other computers .You are right the Windows upgrade icon was gone after update.

I have a new question: After I used disk cleanup for system files in another computer , I am still left with a 0 bytes windows.old file containing Windows infused apps . Any reason to keep this file ?

sportflyer, Dec 13, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Windows.old is use for reverting your system back to your previous operating system, which in your case , is Win 7 Pro.
    Windows.old is supposed to be deleted automatically after 30 days of the Win 10 installation. Although I had read in one thread where someone said it was not true. That it stays on after 30 days. I have no proof one way or the other as I always delete it as soon as I am satisfied with the new install.

As to the "0 byte windows.old file"................. try right click at it > click Take Ownership > then try to delete it again.
    If you do not have Take Ownership of a file or folder in your right click context menu, use this tutorial:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

davidhk, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Yep , need to take ownership to delete the file. Tks

sportflyer, Dec 13, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification

1. Upgrade using media creation tool vs Windows Download notification - Similar Threads - Upgrade using media

2. In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In Place Upgrade / Media Creation Tool: Hi AllI was able to successfully use In Place Upgrade Media Creation Tool choosing the option of keeping personal files and applications to upgrade to the latest version 21h1 of Windows 10 this May. However I was still having security update issue even after a freshly...
  3. Downloading Media Creation Tool

Downloading Media Creation Tool: I'm using Ubuntu and I need to download media creation tool for something. But I can't download because when I go download page of Windows, it only shows me option to download ISO file not media creation tool executable. Is there another way to download it from a non-windows...
  4. Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool

Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool: I want to re-install my Windows and I found out (from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpf9K36fpA) that you can actually use Reset PC option in the Windows Settings, my question is, what is better (cleaner), is it the same? 159538
  5. Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset PC vs Media Creation Tool: I want to re-install my Windows and I found out (from this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icpf9K36fpA) that you can actually use Reset PC option in the Windows Settings, my question is, what is better (cleaner), is it the same? 159538
  6. Upgrading Windows 7 using media creation tool

Upgrading Windows 7 using media creation tool: Hi I am using the media creation tool to upgrade Windows 7 to 10. I have the licence for both. Getting "there was a problem running preinstall.cmd scripts" error Any help greatly appreciated...
  7. Media Creation Tool for Upgrades

Media Creation Tool for Upgrades: Quick question about the use of the Media creation tool. I am currently using MCT1903 on a USB to upgrade my PC to windows 10. I didn't turn the USB into a bootable device; I just put the tool on it. I am wondering if on the "Downloading Windows 10" screen of the...
  8. Downloading in Media Creation Tool

Downloading in Media Creation Tool: How to resume download in Media Creation Tool? Thanks everyone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-in-media-creation-tool/fe621427-b54b-4e9f-b756-f80987ccec83
  9. Failed to upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Failed to upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool: I am awaiting notification from my reserved place in line to upgrade to Windows 10 on my PC desktop. At present, my OS is Windows 7 Professional 64. After waiting since July 29, I decided to download the Media Creation Toolx64.exe from the Microsoft website and use it to get...
  10. Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool: Hi - I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft Website and have run it three times in the last day to attempt to download Windows 10 production release to a blank USB. I want to try it out on an older pc before upgrading any of our everyday pc's. The first...