Windows 10: Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?

Discus and support Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I was sure I would be able to use W7 Pro OEM key I have spare to upgrade my W10 Home to Pro (preinstalled OEM OA), but when I try to change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ren, Jul 7, 2016.

1. REN
    Ren Win User

Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible?

Hello, I was sure I would be able to use W7 Pro OEM key I have spare to upgrade my W10 Home to Pro (preinstalled OEM OA), but when I try to change product key in Settings> Updates> Activation, the W7 key is refused with 0x004f210 error. Did I misunderstood the process or is something wrong with the key itself..?

:)

2. tdug Win User

Retail key comes up as invalid when trying to upgrade win 7 to win 10

You have to upgrade from W7 to W10 in order to (automatically) activate the later.

Once W10 is activated, you can do a fresh W10 install (don't give any key). But not before !

W7 key won't work for W10 !

tdug, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    Free Upgrade Windows 10 pruduct key

Hi!

I have been following a this thread: How to active win 10 upgrade?

I tried the produkey on several of my upgraded machines. I have a W10 pro OEM DSP purchased for a hard drive, built the machine. Same machine I have a hard drive that had W7 Pre OEM DSP. Upgraded to W10 Home. The W10 Pro retuned the same key as the COA.
    W7-W10 retuned a different key then the W7 COA. I have a W7-W10 HP laptop that also returned a different key then the W7 COA.

So if the product key is stored in the bios, (sure like to know what chip) does the W10 install/upgrade, flash the chip?

Teddy2016, Jul 7, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Go to activation menu - click on link "go to store".

This takes you to pro purchase menu.

Under the buy pro 10 button is a link "I have a Pro 10 key".

Click on that and enter 7 Pro key.

cereberus, Jul 7, 2016
  5. REN
    Ren Win User
    Hello, this is the same as described, I tried both. I actually thought it's the same thing.

6. essenbe Win User
    See if this link helps https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-why-activate

Or you could try this

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.
    • Type “slui 4” and press enter.
    • Select your 'Country' from the list.
    • Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
    • Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.
    • Explain your problem clearly to the support person.
    • Follow the on screen directions to activate over phone.

essenbe, Jul 7, 2016
  7. REN
    Ren Win User
    OK, that's good idea, I will try phone activation. So basically, what I am trying to achieve should work, right?

8. cereberus Win User

Read OP post again.

The issue is not activation.

The issue is he is trying to upgrade to PRO from Home!

cereberus, Jul 7, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    No 100% - it will not work. You have to upgrade to Pro.

What version of 10 home do you have installed 10240 or 10586 (run winver).

You need to upgrade to 10586 to use 7 key.

In answer to other post, the change product key option is not same as clicking on the link I told you about.

cereberus, Jul 7, 2016
  10. REN
    Ren Win User
    Yes, I do have 1511 (10586) patch installed.
    edit:\>
    Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible? [​IMG]

So, this is how it looks after clicking the link 'I have a W10 Pro key.' and I'm still confused. Should it work or not?

edit2:\> Well, I called the activation line to ask if my key is alright but there's only a machine, which goes directly to entering first block of installation ID which I do not have, obviously. No option to speak with live person.:-( I even tried another (last) W7Pro key I have available, no luck, same thing.

11. Superfly Win User
    To update Win 10 Home to Pro you need a Win 10 Pro key (even the generic)

To activate Win 10 Pro a Win 7 COA key can be used (I assume it's from the same PC being updated?
    (...otherwise it's contrary to the EULA, and NavyLCDR will send the Marines to your house and confiscate your PC's)

Superfly, Jul 7, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  13. REN
    Ren Win User

So it was my fault in the end! Thanks guys, now everything runs nicely, Bitlocker already crunches my drive and everything is all unicorns and rainbows. You guys have nice funny forum here, I'll gladly come again to see more.Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible? :)
    Thanks again.

14. beatason Win User
    You'll need to purchase a 'Windows Anytime Upgrade' key.
    You can also use Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 10 Pro Pack.
    Ebay also has some cheap Windows 10 Enterprise upgrade keys.

Hope this helps!

Yours sincerely, Lorraine Nicolson.

beatason, Jul 7, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just curious, why do you think he couldn't use his Windows 7 Pro product key? Microsoft said it would work (post #10) and apparently in post #11 it did work as Microsoft promised.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade W10 Edition with W7 key, possible? - Similar Threads - Upgrade W10 Edition

2. Product key W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key W7 to W10: I had a laptop with Windows 7, change it for free to windows 10 when there was the chance. My laptop broke and I only have the number key that was in the back of it, the windows 7 key. There is any way to know if that key is available for another PC? Or maybe if I buy a new...
  3. Product key W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key W7 to W10: I had a laptop with Windows 7, change it for free to windows 10 when there was the chance. My laptop broke and I only have the number key that was in the back of it, the windows 7 key. There is any way to know if that key is available for another PC? Or maybe if I buy a new...
  4. Product key W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?: Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other options that are out there....
  9. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 activate with w7 key

2. kb4476976 w7

3. w10 upgrade VERSION FROM W7

4. w7 w10 upgrad,
  5. upgrade w7 pro to w10