Windows 10: Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build

Discus and support Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a system with an i7-3930k and Win7 retail license. I will be building a new i7-6700k system and will be reusing the SSD, HDD, graphics card and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brett4u6, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Brett4u6 Win User

Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build

I have a system with an i7-3930k and Win7 retail license. I will be building a new i7-6700k system and will be reusing the SSD, HDD, graphics card and my Windows license. I ultimately want the new system to be Win10.

Should I do the OS upgrade first, or build the new system first and migrate my settings under Windows 7, then do the OS upgrade?

:)

Brett4u6, Mar 25, 2016

2. Windows10 update file move issue

All,

I updated from Win7 to Win10 via the MS website upgrade link. It seems that the system came back up after the upgrade, and appeared to be usable before the file migration was completed from windows.old to the new profiles. During this time, I
    moved the files from /windows.old/users/username/pictures, /documents, and /desktop to the /users/username directories. After it rebooted again, all of my files are gone. I think it must have completed the migration
    of my files after I did the move, which means it migrated an empty directory over top of the files that I had moved. Any suggestions for recovering these? Is there a reliable undelete method?

Thanks for any help!

RoutingJockey, Mar 25, 2016
  3. mixersoft Win User
    How do I migrate a Windows 7 User to a Windows 10 clean install

When I installed Win7, I moved my users folder to a different partition using

mklink /J U:/Users C:/Users

Before I did my Win10 free upgrade, I reversed the process so that my actual Users folders were untouched. (NOTE: this was required because the Win10 free upgrade kept giving me errors with the windows junction in place) Then I
    reversed the upgrade and did a clean Win10 install in a new partition so I could dual boot. Everything works fine at the moment, but the Win10 install points to a generic C:\Users folder

I would like to migrate my Win7 Users data/folder to Win10
    in a different partition, but I am not sure how to best accomplish this goal.

• simple 'mklink /J C:/Users U:/Users'? (same as Win7?)
    • relocate the Users/Documents folder to point to the same location in Win7?
    • is there an official migration utilitiy?
    • other approach?
    Do I have to add the SAME Win7 users to Win10 before doing so?

mixersoft, Mar 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Activate Windows 7 on the new system first and then upgrade that to Windows 10. If you upgrade to Windows 10 on the old system, when you replace the motherboard, Windows 10 will deactivate itself when it detects the new motherboard and you would likely have to put a Windows 7 install on it temporarily to regain activation.

NavyLCDR, Mar 25, 2016
  5. Brett4u6 Win User
    Thanks for the response. Follow up question...If I can activate the Windows 7 retail license on the new mother board, couldn't I do the same with the Windows 10 license if upgraded on the old hardware? Is the Windows 10 license more restrictive?

Brett4u6, Mar 25, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No.

The free upgrade is more restrictive. Microsoft did not offer to upgrade you Windows 7 license to a Windows 10 license for free. They offered to upgrade DEVICES already running Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10 for free.

In the fine print at the bottom of the webpage:
    How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build - Similar Threads - Upgrade Win7 Win10

2. Migrating a Win7 install to a pc with Win10 preinstalled?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating a Win7 install to a pc with Win10 preinstalled?: Hello, What's the best way to migrate everything (softwares, etc) from an old computer with Win7 to a new computer with Win10? I could clone but then I'd lose Win10 I can't upgrade from 7 to 10 because the OS is already installed on the target computer I could drag and drop...
  3. New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7?: Hi, I'm building a new system and would like to use the license from my dismantled old system. The old system started with win7 and has been upgraded all the way up to win10 through the years. I purchased a "Windows 10 Home 64-bit Installation/Recovery Disc Only" to simplify...
  4. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  5. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  6. Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?: I built my last computer in 2012 using Win7. I upgraded to Win10 when it became available. I'm now going to build a new machine with only a few parts from the current one. The old machine will be decommissioned, and it's SSD will become a data drive for the new machine which...
  7. Bsod/hangs/crashes, win7+win10, new build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bsod/hangs/crashes, win7+win10, new build: Hello Tenforums, yesterday I finished building this PC on all new hardware aside from my videocard and PSU. Since then I’ve had a wide range of issues. I initially started on a Windows 7 installation where I was experiencing a wide range on issues. Freezes seemed to occur...
  8. Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10

Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10: Using an Asus CM8730 desktop with Win7. Purchased a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and used Samsung Migration software to move Win7 to the SSD from the HD that came from the computer. All went well, the computer boots very fast from the SSD. After about a month of use I decided to...
  9. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  10. Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC?

Way to cancel Win10 upgrade before restarting Win7 PC?: I ran the setup exe for the Win10 preview, and it did some thinking then told me to restart to begin the upgrade. I've decided I don't want to upgrade, and now I'm wondering whether restarting the PC is going to give me the option to cancel the upgrade or not. I guess people...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advantech i7 not booing after migration win10

2. win7 to win10 migration 2019