Windows 10: Upgraded computer to windows 10, external hard drive won't open now

Discus and support Upgraded computer to windows 10, external hard drive won't open now in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, not sure if I'm in the right thread. I upgraded my windows 7 computer to windows 10. I have an external hard drive that I am unable to open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by swimmeroc, Feb 20, 2016.

1. swimmeroc Win User

Upgraded computer to windows 10, external hard drive won't open now

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right thread.

I upgraded my windows 7 computer to windows 10. I have an external hard drive that I am unable to open. When I connect it to the computer now, a reformatting window pops up asking to do this. Obviously, I don't want to delete the data on there as I used this drive as my backup. How can I go about opening this drive?

I checked on someone's else computer running windows 7 and my data is there, but my friend upgraded his computer to windows 10 and now I can't transfer data that way.

The hard drive is a WD Scorpio, model WD25000BEVS. Don't know if that is helpful. I am wondering if part of the issue is that I have this harddrive is from a previous laptop that ran windows vista. That computer failed bcs it was a subpar HP product. I literally baked the motherboard several times for it to work. I finally gave up and got a new computer but kept the drive. I should have reformated it but I only deleted everything but the user folder. Any help would be great.

I am wondering if part of the issue is ownership of the drive. I know that when I first used this drive I had it take ownership of the hard drive. I know this can be done in window 10, but I can't seem to ever open properties of the harddrive while its plugged in.

:)

swimmeroc, Feb 20, 2016

2. Vista back up to external hard drive, how do I transfer to Windows 10?

I recently upgraded an old Vista HP PC to Windows 10, before I upgrade to Windows 7 though I backed up my computer using the back up process for Vista on an external hard drive. I now have Windows 10, how can I get my files off the External Hard Drive
    back onto my computer? Thanks.

BrandonKlein1967, Feb 20, 2016
  3. markeydsl Win User
    when I wake up my computer from sleep a file Explorer window is always open

I was just looking at my issue again. It appears that now Windows 10 will open a "File Explorer window" for external drives connected to the computer. This is what was occurring, when my external hard drive is connected window automatically opens a file
    browser for that drive when waking from sleep.. I think the issue is resolved....

markeydsl, Feb 20, 2016
  4. Wynona Win User

Stabbing in the dark here . . . I see you have a Surface 3, so I'm really going off on a limb. *Smile

BTW, welcome to TenForums.

1. Have you rebooted the computer since you upgraded from 7 to 10?

2. Have you unplugged the drive, rebooted the computer, then plugged the drive back in?

3. I'm assuming you did an upgrade, not a clean install.

4. How is the drive connected to the computer? Is it in an enclosure or something like the Black Ice?

Worst case scenario . . . is it feasible for you to do a clean install?

I'm asking all these questions so that in the likely event I can't help, the next person who tries to help will have the information.

Wynona, Feb 21, 2016
  5. Check on disk management option and try assigning a drive letter to the drive is that is not showing up in Explorer. That will probably solve the issue in most case. If that is not the issue then you may have to go around tweaking and checking some diskpart options.
    Another way is to get the drive hooked to a linux live system and take the data back and then plugging it back to windows and formatting the same.

Shadow Delta, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded computer to windows 10, external hard drive won't open now - Similar Threads - Upgraded computer external

2. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives

Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop with Windows 10. I tried to plug in external hard drives I had on the old computers but they are not recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the...
  6. Windows updated yesterday - now won't recognize external hard drive

Windows updated yesterday - now won't recognize external hard drive: Hi, yesterday I had a windows 10 update and now my external hard drive is no longer recognized. There were a lot of photos on there and I'd rather not lose the data. : Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide. I've already tried rebooting. I also tried...
  7. External hard drive is not opening in Windows 10

External hard drive is not opening in Windows 10: Hello, my external hard drive used to fine with windows 10 after i upgrade it from windows 7. But, now the windows is detecting it but not opening it. It is taking too much time, till it shows "not responding" sign. Before it showed the message " parameters incorrect.' I...
  8. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?: I have a "Windows To Go" hard drive (in other words, a Windows 10 Pro installion that is installed directly into an external USB hard drive), and I want to upgrade from version 1803 (RS4) to version 1809 (RS5). But when I try to update it says that I can't upgrade/install...
  9. External hard drive won't install windows 10

External hard drive won't install windows 10: Hello I have a problem with tying to install windows 10 on my external hard drive. The hard drive is empty and I'm setting it up for the first time. Its saying it won't install because its connected via usb. Is there any way round this problem? Many thanks in advance....
  10. Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive

Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive: I am unable to use the latest upgrades due to lack of storage. My SD drive won't accept the new upgrades. Can I use the Seagate - Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive to accept the new upgrades? 97202