Windows 10: Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change

Discus and support Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had a Windows 8.1 license, which I upgraded into Windows 10 when Microsoft was providing the possibility. However, I'd like to do a hardware update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sauronnikko, May 8, 2017.

1. Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change

I had a Windows 8.1 license, which I upgraded into Windows 10 when Microsoft was providing the possibility. However, I'd like to do a hardware update soon (motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM. SSD drives will remain the same). Will I be able to re-activate my Windows 10 license?

:)

sauronnikko, May 8, 2017

2. Win 10 Activation

Trying to reactivate win 10 free upgrade from 7 after changing motherboard and disk. Troubleshooter and selecting major hardware changes still fails.

MarkLewis4, May 8, 2017
  3. How do I reinstall Windows 10 after changing my mother board? It was downloaded by upgrade.

Did you try starting it up on the new hardware? Windows 10 is remarkably adaptive that way. Then you can reactivate using phone activation if the Upgrade was from retail Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, or insert a new Product Key if the old OS was factory or Builder's
    OEM.

If necessary you can also
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade.

As Andre said, only if the WIndows you Upgraded came installed on the PC from factory may you not change the motherboard and reactivate the free Upgrade. If you instead upgraded retail and not OEM Windows then follow

How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change

What hardware are you changing then? Some changes, such as a hard drive, don't count as a significant change and Windows should activate automatically. If not, see this tutorial...

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

Bree, May 8, 2017
  5. It's well known that changing out hardware components can trigger a reactivation prompt. In Windows 8 and higher, OEM product keys are stored in a protected region of the BIOS firmware, instead of on a sticker on the PC. Hopefully 10 will see that key and reactivate fine.

Extract product key from BIOS:
    https://itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-t...8-product-key/

I used RW-Everything for this, only takes a minute or 2: The program has a portable version that doesnt need to be installed, so you can cleanly delete it when done. If you dont see a PK then it's safe to assume that there isnt one one embedded into your BIOS. But if what you have is an OEM PC manufactured by one of the OEMs, then it should almost certainly be there. If it's a custom build, then probably not.

AnonVendetta, May 8, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    And as soon as the OP upgrades the motherboard that product key is gone.

NavyLCDR, May 8, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    None of this applies as OP is changing mobo.

cereberus, May 8, 2017
  8. Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change

Ah, somehow I missed the part about the mobo. If he were only changing out less important components then the PK would still be in the BIOS on that mobo. But since it seems he is changing out almost everything, he might as well build a new PC, LOL.

AnonVendetta, May 8, 2017
  9. I'm changing everything minus the SSD... probably won't change everything all at once, though.

I guess that, yes, I'm building a new PC. Given that I won't go back to my previous components, I'd like to know if I can reutilize my license.

sauronnikko, May 8, 2017
  10. bigmansq Win User
    I just replaced my motherboard and now my Windows 10 will not be activated and I am not sure how.

bigmansq, May 8, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    See post #2.

cereberus, May 8, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    see post#2

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change

1. Upgraded for free from 8.1 to 10. Reactivation after hardware change - Similar Threads - Upgraded free Reactivation

2. Reactivation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivation after hardware change: Hello. before I changed my pc parts, I linked my device with my microsoft account. Now when I try to use the feature "reactivation after hardware change", it says:"Unable to activate Windows. We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  3. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  4. Reactivation after hardware upgrade

Reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi guys, I just upgraded my PC CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD to be specific and having problems reactivating my Windows 10. I was using a Windows 10 home retail key brought on Amazon upgraded to pro and linked to my Microsoft account. Tried the troubleshooting and change...
  5. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM on my computer, and replaced my HDD with an SDD a few weeks earlier. Since the latest change, I see a watermark on my screen telling me to activate windows. When I try the troubleshooter and tell it I upgraded the hardware, it...
  6. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I have the 0xC004F213 error when I want to activate my product. I recently build a new PC because my old one died and thats waht I get. I don't have a product key, I've bought that almost 5 years ago and it's just lost. Is there any possibilty to reactivate it?...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 after changing hardware (Windows 10 free upgrade)

Reactivating Windows 10 after changing hardware (Windows 10 free upgrade): Hello, Just today, I've upgraded my hardware, changed my motherboard, CPU and GPU. It was all fine until I got the "Activate Windows" on the side, I've tried all the troubleshooting I could find: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/windows-10-activate...
  8. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I changed hardware(Motherboard and CPU) and want to reactivate windows but it wont work. I do have a retail version and made sure my account was linked to my digital license so as to avoid any issues for reactivation. I tried to contact Microsoft support twice to...
  9. Re-installing and reactivating a free upgrade of Windows 10 after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-installing and reactivating a free upgrade of Windows 10 after hardware change.: Hello all. I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit version 1803 that i upgraded to, for free, from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Now my hardware is a bit long in the tooth, main board approaching ten years old, so i would like to upgrade it along with memory and possibly CPU, and a...
  10. Windows 10 "Free upgrade" after hardware change?

Windows 10 "Free upgrade" after hardware change?: So, I am planning on buying a new hard drive for my computer, and since Windows 10's activation is based on hardware, will I still have the free upgrade? 48242