Windows 10: Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups

Discus and support Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I finally made the move yesterday to Windows 10 from 8.1. On 8.1 I actually loved the start screen (I haven't yet gone full screen Start on Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alexncfc, Mar 31, 2016.

1. alexncfc Win User

Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups

I finally made the move yesterday to Windows 10 from 8.1.

On 8.1 I actually loved the start screen (I haven't yet gone full screen Start on Windows 10) and I had many categories/groups set up of my favourite applications (Imaging, video, mobile etc) but the Windows 10 upgrade has given me a start menu which just has two categories: Life at a glance and Play and Explore. All my other programs have just been bunched in below these two groups and I've lost all the groups I set up in 8.1. Is there any way to get these back?

Thanks

:)

alexncfc, Mar 31, 2016
  2. kihtrak_s Win User

Retain the start menu groups during Windows 10 upgrade

I kind of liked the start menu in Windows 8.1. I had organized it into groups and named them as I needed it.

But when I upgraded to Windows 10, I lost the groups and names. Is there a way I can get it back?

Also, I have one another laptop, where I am yet to upgrade from Win 8.1. Is there a way I can backup the settings for start menu and the groups? Can I restore it after the upgrade to Windows 10?

kihtrak_s, Mar 31, 2016
  3. MikeReed Win User
    Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1; Lost all IE start page short cuts; How to prevent and recover?

I have many items pined to my start page of which most are Internet Explorer links and these are organized into several groups.
    When I upgraded my Toshiba Windows Tablet to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 I lost all pins and grouping.
    Several of these were important links to my bank, credit cards, etc.
    Is there a way of keeping these pins or recovering them? The links used by IE pined to my start page are necessarily the same as my IE favorites on the desktop.
    This is preventing me from updating my workstation to Windows 10.

MikeReed, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups

1. Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups - Similar Threads - Upgraded lost Start

2. WIndows 11 Forced Upgrade - Start Menu Lost Groups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 11 Forced Upgrade - Start Menu Lost Groups: In Windows 10 I had the start menu organized by groups so I knew where to look for the apps I use most frequently. This computer randomly decided to force Windows 11 down my throat last night so now I have to deal with the "improved" start menu.Does *anyone* at Microsoft ever...
  3. WIndows 11 Forced Upgrade - Start Menu Lost Groups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 11 Forced Upgrade - Start Menu Lost Groups: In Windows 10 I had the start menu organized by groups so I knew where to look for the apps I use most frequently. This computer randomly decided to force Windows 11 down my throat last night so now I have to deal with the "improved" start menu.Does *anyone* at Microsoft ever...
  4. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  5. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  6. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  8. Lost Pinned Websites From Windows 8 Start Screen

in Browsers and Email
    Lost Pinned Websites From Windows 8 Start Screen: When I upgraded to 10 all the pinned websites I had on my Win 8 startscreen disappeared. Can I get them back? I also want to upgrade a Win 7 machine. Will my destop apps, shortcuts, and websites reappear in 10? 13765
  9. Upgrading from Windows "8" ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Windows "8" ?: Can you get the free upgrade to Windows 10 from the original Windows 8? Or is it only 7 and 8.1? 26006
  10. Upgrade from 8 worked

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from 8 worked: Got a clients PC with 8.0 on it. Decided to see how upgrade to 10 would work. Used the upgrade tool on the MS site. Upgraded and activated. For Free. Anyone know why???*Rolleyes Pete P.S. Not complaining, hade done many while the free offer was still around. This one...