Windows 10: Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups

Discus and support Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I finally made the move yesterday to Windows 10 from 8.1. On 8.1 I actually loved the start screen (I haven't yet gone full screen Start on Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alexncfc, Mar 31, 2016.

1. alexncfc Win User

Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups

I finally made the move yesterday to Windows 10 from 8.1.

On 8.1 I actually loved the start screen (I haven't yet gone full screen Start on Windows 10) and I had many categories/groups set up of my favourite applications (Imaging, video, mobile etc) but the Windows 10 upgrade has given me a start menu which just has two categories: Life at a glance and Play and Explore. All my other programs have just been bunched in below these two groups and I've lost all the groups I set up in 8.1. Is there any way to get these back?

Thanks

:)

alexncfc, Mar 31, 2016
  2. kihtrak_s Win User

Retain the start menu groups during Windows 10 upgrade

I kind of liked the start menu in Windows 8.1. I had organized it into groups and named them as I needed it.

But when I upgraded to Windows 10, I lost the groups and names. Is there a way I can get it back?

Also, I have one another laptop, where I am yet to upgrade from Win 8.1. Is there a way I can backup the settings for start menu and the groups? Can I restore it after the upgrade to Windows 10?

kihtrak_s, Mar 31, 2016
  3. MikeReed Win User
    Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1; Lost all IE start page short cuts; How to prevent and recover?

I have many items pined to my start page of which most are Internet Explorer links and these are organized into several groups.
    When I upgraded my Toshiba Windows Tablet to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 I lost all pins and grouping.
    Several of these were important links to my bank, credit cards, etc.
    Is there a way of keeping these pins or recovering them? The links used by IE pined to my start page are necessarily the same as my IE favorites on the desktop.
    This is preventing me from updating my workstation to Windows 10.

MikeReed, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups

1. Upgraded from 8.1 and lost my Start Screen groups - Similar Threads - Upgraded lost Start

2. Lost Administrators Group Membership

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Administrators Group Membership: My wife's normally signs in to her computer using her Microsoft account. So as a user on the system she shows up as "C900," which is the model number of the computer. Her account had Administrators Group membership, but I accidentally removed it. I'm attempting to...
  3. Lost Home Group

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Home Group: Seem to have lost Home Group between two laptops. Worked perfectly some time ago. Now the Home Group symbol no longer appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/lost-home-group/84c57328-d120-4b2c-8073-00d722ec734b
  4. Upgrade from Windows 8 to 10p

Upgrade from Windows 8 to 10p: Dear all, I am wondering if i can upgrade from windows 8 to Windows 10 and keep all my software and files and folders with no change. Thx in advance....
  5. Remove all groups from start menu

Remove all groups from start menu: I have limited space on my start menu and would like to take up all of it with icons. I do not need nor want to group the icons and create blank space between them. I want to use that space. But it seems impossible to have no groups or just one. Whenever I try to get all the...
  6. Lost Pinned Websites From Windows 8 Start Screen

in Browsers and Email
    Lost Pinned Websites From Windows 8 Start Screen: When I upgraded to 10 all the pinned websites I had on my Win 8 startscreen disappeared. Can I get them back? I also want to upgrade a Win 7 machine. Will my destop apps, shortcuts, and websites reappear in 10? 13765
  7. Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost OneDrive from my Start folder: I rather stupidly lost OneDrive from my Start folder. I managed to almost recover it using instructions that I found on these forums. If I now tap on Start, Files-OneDrive, a window opens showing my Files from my old version of OneDrive. However, I often have to tap on a box...
  8. How Delete a Group From Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How Delete a Group From Start Menu: I somehow created a Group in the Start Menu and now I want to get rid of it. It is located at the top of the Start Menu. [img] How can it be deleted? Rt-Clicking it doesn't bring up anything. 82935
  9. Upgrading from Windows "8" ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Windows "8" ?: Can you get the free upgrade to Windows 10 from the original Windows 8? Or is it only 7 and 8.1? 26006
  10. Upgrade from 8 worked

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from 8 worked: Got a clients PC with 8.0 on it. Decided to see how upgrade to 10 would work. Used the upgrade tool on the MS site. Upgraded and activated. For Free. Anyone know why???*Rolleyes Pete P.S. Not complaining, hade done many while the free offer was still around. This one...