Windows 10: Upgraded from 8.1 OEM - Will I be able to activate 10 on a new drive?

Discus and support Upgraded from 8.1 OEM - Will I be able to activate 10 on a new drive? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded from 8.1 on my laptop (OEM Windows, so I don't have the actual key printed anywhere). I now want to replace my boot drive- not clone,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by davidspivak, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Upgraded from 8.1 OEM - Will I be able to activate 10 on a new drive?

Hi,

I upgraded from 8.1 on my laptop (OEM Windows, so I don't have the actual key printed anywhere). I now want to replace my boot drive- not clone, but remove and replace it with an empty drive on which I will install Windows 10 from scratch (using bootable USB).

According to ProduKey, I have two windows keys:
    1) Windows (BIOS OEM Key)
    2) Windows 10 Home

Will I be able to activate the fresh Windows install using this "Windows 10 Home" key?

Thanks!

:)

davidspivak, Dec 12, 2015

2. Can I still upgrade to windows 10?

I had got an OEM activated Windows 8.1 home edition on the purchase of my new DELL laptop.After getting the notification of a windows 10 upgrade,I had started the upgrade process and my OEM key was upgraded to windows 10 via digital entitlement.

Now,maybe I made a mistake, I should have made a rescue disk to revert back to the old windows 10 if just in case I needed to repair things up.Recently,my PC got infected by some adware and malware stuff, and I was forced to perform a factory reset to revert
    back to the factory windows 8.1 OS.It was almost near to the date the free upgrade to windows 10 was about to get over.I now want to upgrade my PC again to windows 10,but I am wondering if I would be able to do it again without paying any fees.I had my 8.1
    OEM key upgraded to 10 key so I guess this should not be a problem,even after the free upgrade is past the date.

So please tell me,will I be now able to upgrade my PC again to 10 with the OEM key just as I had done before?Or should I download the official ISO file from media creation tool and activate the product through my OEM key?Or is it too late now to try the
    upgrade again for free?

SarthakMehra, Dec 12, 2015
  3. How Activate Windows 10 in another Pc but same Hard Drive?

The ability to activate will depend on what type of Windows 10 license you have, whether it is an OEM preinstalled license from the old system, or a license upgraded from a preinstalled copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

If that is the case, you won't be able to activate.

If its a retail store bought Windows 10 license or it was upgraded from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1, then you could try chat support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Resources:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

Andre Da Costa, Dec 12, 2015
  4. Superfly Win User

Upgraded from 8.1 OEM - Will I be able to activate 10 on a new drive?

You do not need a key as your PC already has digital entitlement - when installing Windows 10 Home to the new drive, skip key entry - if online it will activate based on the existing information on MS activation servers.

Superfly, Dec 12, 2015
  5. Superfly Win User
    You're welcome!

(BTW... there are better alternatives to Produkey...*Smile )

Superfly, Dec 12, 2015
  6. Cool, which ones are those?

davidspivak, Dec 12, 2015
  7. You will not be able to use the generic Windows 10 product keys to activate Windows 10.

Windows 10 Home: TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Windows 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Source: Activation FAQ for Insider Preview Build 10565, 10576 and above - Microsoft Community

So you do not receive the following screen.

Upgraded from 8.1 OEM - Will I be able to activate 10 on a new drive? [​IMG]

Goosebumps, Dec 12, 2015
  8. Superfly Win User

Superfly, Dec 12, 2015
  9. Everything went smooth, thank you guys again *Smile

davidspivak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded from 8.1 OEM - Will I be able to activate 10 on a new drive? - Similar Threads - Upgraded OEM able

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  4. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid: So my pc came preloaded with windows 7, and included an upgrade disk to 8 professional. Around 1/1/22 I started having data corruption issues which after numerous and reapeated attempts at saving the data via copying to another drive\vhd\vhdk\dd etc etc, the drive was finally...
  6. Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to upgrade from oem 7, clean, with 8 oem upgrade to 10 and product key is invalid: So my pc came preloaded with windows 7, and included an upgrade disk to 8 professional. Around 1/1/22 I started having data corruption issues which after numerous and reapeated attempts at saving the data via copying to another drive\vhd\vhdk\dd etc etc, the drive was finally...
  7. my laptop cant able to activate the windows upgrade from windows 8 pro windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my laptop cant able to activate the windows upgrade from windows 8 pro windows 10 pro: my laptop cant able to activate the windows upgrade from windows 8 pro windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-cant-able-to-activate-the-windows/8e7a7375-6c1b-4cd9-95f7-3fb055762dfb
  8. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  9. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  10. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...