Windows 10: Upgraded motherboard, much slower boot time

Discus and support Upgraded motherboard, much slower boot time in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I feel like windows 10 is back to Vista performance at boot. I'm thinking about a clean install but would like to discuss it with you guys. Previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by kensiko, Dec 5, 2017.

1. kensiko Win User

Upgraded motherboard, much slower boot time

I feel like windows 10 is back to Vista performance at boot. I'm thinking about a clean install but would like to discuss it with you guys.

Previous motherboard and CPU: Asrock Pro3 Gen3 i2500k @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB Ram.
    New motherboard and CPU: Asus Prime X399 TR 1950x @ stock, 32 GB Ram.

On my old board I was in RAID, so I unmounted a RAID array and switched back to AHCI.
    I just then booted up with the new motherboard and Win10 did a great job, no BSOD, nothing, just booted after installing new peripherals.

It's longer now to get to the welcome screen. I've got autologon enabled, and it's also much longer to get to the desktop also. I see the SSD LED always at ON, I find it odd.

I'm on Creator update. I tested my SSD with AS-SSD, it's slower than what it was but not that much.

I've run the boot tracer and I'm not sure there is anything special, it's just long to boot. SSD is solicited more than the CPU (hope so!), but it's not at 100%.

Thanks for you suggestions.

:)

kensiko, Dec 5, 2017

2. Much slower boot Time After Creators Update

Hello,

After Creators update Windows boots almost twice slower on Cold boot or Reset.

Widows Cold boot time was around 16-17 sek and now is 30 -32 sek for some reason. The reset time even more.

I've tried everything...even flashed bios to newest version again ( its the same with fast boot options or without ), but iwith no solution, so it's clearly Windows problem.

I have fastest Samsung 960 M.2 disks

My setup :

Processor : I7 7700k Kaby Lake OC 4.8 GHZ + Noctua ND-H14

Motherboard : MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon

Graphic Card : Nvidia Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 6GB

Memory : 64G Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz ( 4 x 16GB )

Disk 1 ( Windows + programs + Cache ) : Samsung 960 M.2 NVMe 500 GB

Disk 2 ( Working files - Photo and video ) : Samsung 960 M.2 NVMe 500 GB

Disk 3,4,5 ( Backup ) : WD Black 4TB + WD RED 4TB + WD RED 3TB

KanayeShogun, Dec 5, 2017
  3. Much slower boot Time After Creators Update

Hi Kanaye,

To isolate your concern with your PC, we suggest that you perform clean boot.
    It is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Also, it helps eliminate software conflicts or
    an update or when you run a program in Windows. Check this article for
    more information.

Once you're done, update us with the outcome.

Marvin Barc, Dec 5, 2017
  4. kensiko Win User

Oh and I updated the graphic driver and reinstalled Logitech gaming software which was not working after the upgrade.

kensiko, Dec 5, 2017
  5. kensiko Win User
    Upgraded motherboard, much slower boot time [​IMG]

kensiko, Dec 5, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    did you after getting rid of RAID re-format the HDD's again.

Check also in the BIOS that all parameters are set correctly

With that hardware the system should really be fast.

Further checks :

1) GPU (graphics) is functioning correctly and all components properly installed.

2) Correct memory type -- no mix of DDR4 and DDR3.

3) SSD is on the fastest SATA connector -- sometimes Mobos have 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s SATA ports -- choose the fastest. If it's SATA II then even better.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 7, 2017
  7. Badfinger Win User
    I'm having weird SATA performance on a new mobo/CPU/RAM as well (all the right types, it's a Ryzen 7/1700, good mobo (Gigabyte AB350 Gaming and not bottom end DDR4 Corsair RAM), and the optimizing drive service was already running and all the SATA ports (6) on this mobo are 6's.
    One drive takes eternity to access it in the file manager I use, and even if I go directory to directory it's almost as if it parks after every command, and my boot up time is horrific considering I wipe and dropped a fresh wipe of said SSD completely.

I was using Kerish Doctor 2017, but it gets a nasty error that hangs itself and their own support said they couldn't fix it. LOL!

I am not getting any BSOD or anything and I have managed to play at least 1 pretty intensive game for many hours, so the system is otherwise working OK.

I did the verify windows file integrity check: PASSED
    The hard drives are all defragged (sans SSD).

Badfinger, Dec 7, 2017
  8. kensiko Win User

Wait what ?? *chuckle

Otherwise, thanks for your tips.

For the SATA, I'm not on port #1 for my main OS SSD. Before the upgrade it was not in RAID with any other SSD, others were. I tested with AS-SSD and it is not on SATA3, I get 500 MB/s.

Since the post I continued troubleshooting. I saved an image of my C: and tested multiple things. SYSPREP didn't help enough, it was still slow until the welcome screen, but faster after that with that new user. I thought of creating a new user on my saved image but skipped this and started a new installation, it was faster (thanks to Win10 it's a 5 minutes process with a USB3 flash drive!!). PC was back to normal speed. I then used Transwiz to get back my old user and it was still fast, I'm satisfied with it now, at least I got back my settings, I just need to reinstall the applications.

However I got freezes at reboot during the shutdown process after installing AMD HD7800 drivers. This driver does not like ThreadRipper motherboard.

kensiko, Dec 7, 2017
  9. kensiko Win User
    Did you upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling Windows ?

I concluded after all this that Win10 doesn't like to have its motherboard changed. I did a SYSPREP at work on a computer and windows was slow as hell on a different model in comparison to the others with similar hardware to the original installation.

Using SYSPREP with a Win7 machine was all fine, but for Win10, it's better to reinstall. And now with the activation saved to the MS account, it's not an issue to upgrade a PC.

kensiko, Dec 7, 2017
  10. Badfinger Win User
    I did a fresh main SSD wipe and drop of Windows 10 via newest image download off the internet on another computer.
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate Retail and had done the free update, I know now that M$ will need called for any main hardware change again.

I read some more threads and I am running a bit better now.

I was very sleepy when I was working on it, but I put Optimize drives service to MANUAL, it was on auto.
    I don't need auto-defrag, I'll manually handle that.

I used Glary Utils (free or pay for extra features) and saw a huge list of hidden otherwise to the user, SCHEDULED items and disabled them, any that Windows felt was critical (guessing) were automatically rescheduled, my boot time was well over a minute, up from about 20 secs on my old 10 before the hardware failure, in my case it was the motherboard SATA controller that failed.

I am old CNE, MCP, and A+ guy, so yeah I have a smidge of knowledge.

This 10 though the performance was terrible considering the hardware.

Right now getting about 65M/sec+ big files transfer from one drive to another while still listening to MP3, Steam is doing some downloads/updates and typing this with no interruptions to anything.

Another thing, I ran O&O ShutUp10 latest version (free anti-M$ spy tool) and did the recommended settings + a few more.

Badfinger, Dec 8, 2017
  11. kensiko Win User
    A SSD is the cheapest way to make you PC much faster. 128gb for the OS and the rest on your hard drive.

kensiko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded motherboard, much slower boot time - Similar Threads - Upgraded motherboard much

2. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.: I was just using my PC when it suddenly started taking ages to open programs, running games at marginally lower fps than usually. Something else that happened at the same time was that my PC fans which are usually pretty loud became very quiet, but are still running. It...
  3. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.: I was just using my PC when it suddenly started taking ages to open programs, running games at marginally lower fps than usually. Something else that happened at the same time was that my PC fans which are usually pretty loud became very quiet, but are still running. It...
  4. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Booting from m.2 drive is much slower than it should be

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Booting from m.2 drive is much slower than it should be: Hello everyone, A few months ago I installed a new m.2 SSD to which I moved my Windows 10 installation. At first it booted up very quickly (within just a few seconds). Now, however, booting takes 2 minutes or longer. I have searched around and found this thread: Boot Time...
  6. Computer is much slower when plugged in

Computer is much slower when plugged in: I have a HP laptop with Ryzen 5 8gb of Ram. I have recently been getting a much slower computer when it is plugged in. Its so bad that I can't do Zoom on it. I have tried almost everything on the internet and nothing works. I have used multiple chargers. Im worried that...
  7. PC is much slower when unplugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC is much slower when unplugged: When I have my PC plugged in, it's running great (I checked in task manager, the clock speed hovers around the high end of 3.xx GHz). However, as soon as I unplug it, performance drops (the CPU speed visibly, immediately drops to around 1 GHz). The PC is still usable when...
  8. Windows getting too much slower

Windows getting too much slower: Hello, Last week I updated to windows10 OS to version 1803. Since that day my windows getting too much slow. For startup it takes about 6min an average. After starting it causes the problem of 100% disk usage. I have reset my laptop from seetings menu. But still I am...
  9. Windows 10 often boots fast, but much slower at times

Windows 10 often boots fast, but much slower at times: I have my OS on an SSD and my computer often boots in about 10-15 seconds but after about every 5 boots, it takes 30-40 seconds. There is nothing unusual in the Event Viewer when it boots slowly (usually some 10016 errors and a 360 warning all the times). Any idea why this...
  10. Boot time is getting slower and slower

Boot time is getting slower and slower: I built my latest PC and upgraded the Windows 10 Home 32 bit to 64 bit back in December. I have 32GB RAM and have an I7 processor. My boot times continue to get slower and slower the past several months. I have googled solutions and tried many including booting into safe (no...