Windows 10: Upgraded PC, GPT and Original Legacy HDD

Discus and support Upgraded PC, GPT and Original Legacy HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just upgraded my PC to Skylake platform and found out win 10 needed to install on the HDD with GPT. now, my secondary HDD's from my older... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bjproc, Jun 20, 2016.

1. bjproc Win User

Upgraded PC, GPT and Original Legacy HDD

I've just upgraded my PC to Skylake platform and found out win 10 needed to install on the HDD with GPT.

now, my secondary HDD's from my older storage are still to be connected.

Is it safe to just plug them in and they'll be ok.

What i'm thinking is they will be ok and it's just the boot options of the new primary disc that needs this? have i got this right?

:)

bjproc, Jun 20, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

error code: 0xc000000e & bootrec /fixboot, Access is denied / element not found

Hi,

According to that screenshot, your HDD must have been originally Initialized\formatted for Legacy Bios...

There is a tool to convert MBR > GPT from within Windows, after which you would then change the Bios on Restart... But that is not of much use if you can not boot..

The GPT type drive for UEFI Bios is normally created before windows is installed, as it boots differently than Legacy Bios with a MBR type of drive..

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you may just want to try switching your Bios to Legacy.. At least to get it to hopefully boot, and then go from there as to anything else you may want to do...

slance310, Jun 20, 2016
  3. windows system image backup recovery prolems

things i have done :

• created a wimdows image backup in windows 10 ( pc preloaded with 8.1) and save it in my ext hd.
    • i downloaded win 10 iso through media creation tool and created bootable usb through rufus using "mbr for UEFI AND BIOS" with NTFS file system
    • after a few months my int hdd ( SEAGATE 1TB)crashed and as a result i lost my original os .
    • from a nearby dell shop i replaced the hdd with 500 gb (western digitals ) hdd an they changed the bios settings from uefi to legacy and installed pirated os (8.1) with mbr format. but of embedded product id i upgraded to win 10
    • i changed from legacy to uefi in bios setup , and changed hdd setup from mbr to gpt using AOMEI partition pro.
    • i went to WINDOWS RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT through the bootable media and went to SYSTEM IMAGE RESTORE . in the list oF Operation system , there was only WINDOWS not WINDOWS 10 .
    • I clicked on that WINDOWS tile did the procedure but clicking the final key.it showed system image recovery failed

NOW MY question is HOW CAN I RESTORE MY ORIGINAL OS THOUGH SYSTEM IMAGE RESTORE??? .

SOUMYADEEPMAHATA, Jun 20, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, your MBR hard drives will work just fine for secondary storage.

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Upgraded PC, GPT and Original Legacy HDD - Similar Threads - Upgraded GPT Original

2. Windows on Legacy GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows on Legacy GPT: Help i switched from mbr legacy to gpt legacy, i accidentally deleted windows boot partition its main partition is intact, it was arch linux dual boot, i cant even boot windows 10 usb install, i can boot arch, how i can enable booting windows...
  3. Windows on Legacy GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows on Legacy GPT: Help i switched from mbr legacy to gpt legacy, i accidentally deleted windows boot partition its main partition is intact, it was arch linux dual boot, i cant even boot windows 10 usb install, i can boot arch, how i can enable booting windows...
  4. Windows on Legacy GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  6. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  7. Upgrading HDD in PC

Upgrading HDD in PC: I install Windows 10 from Windows 8 with the free upgrade and now I think I need to replace the HDD and re-install windows. Can I still use the free version. I see on you site that you can for the life of the device. Is the device the computer or the HDD...
  8. Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc: I can’t access a GPT drive handed to me with important files as my motherboard is legacy, is there a workaround? submitted by /u/Bombzopple [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/etn4er/need_help_accessing_gpt_drive_on_legacy_bios_pc/
  9. Revert HDD icon to original

in Windows 10 Customization
    Revert HDD icon to original: I just HDDlife but i didn't like that program so i uninstalled it but the HDD icon still stuck. How can i revert it back to original? Edit: The solution How to Restore Hard Disk File Icon? Windows 7 - Super User [img] 68684
  10. Original HDD...

Original HDD...: Now that I'm running my WIndows 10 machine with an SSD, I'm wondering what to do with the original HDD. I've done nothing with it at this point since it still has that recovery partition from the manufacturer (Dell) on it. The computer did not come with recovery disks....