Windows 10: Upgraded to the Dark Side...

Discus and support Upgraded to the Dark Side... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Finally decided it was time to move from Windows 7 to the dark side...(my taxes are done and submitted, so I could lose my computer for awhile and not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HikerGuy, Apr 22, 2016.

1. HikerGuy Win User

Upgraded to the Dark Side...

Finally decided it was time to move from Windows 7 to the dark side...(my taxes are done and submitted, so I could lose my computer for awhile and not be critical...)

Made sure Windows 7 was 100% up to date, Ran Belarc to capture all my software registration keys, ensured all drivers were up to date and Windows 10 compatible, even did a cleanup using System Mechanic to avoid any confusing, and then a backup using Macrium Free. Mentally prepared myself to spend a weekend doing nothing but chasing computer problems, since I am stuck at home ill this weekend. Crossed my fingers and hit the nagging Windows 10 icon on the menu bar and...

Nothing. Nada. zip. Absolutely no movement at all. Talk about an anti-climatic event.

Fortunately through this forum I knew about the Media Creation Tool, so off I went. That actually worked. About an hour later, Windows 10 was installed, configured the way I want it, and running. Just downloaded a bunch of updates, and going through all my programs to see if any updates are now required due to Windows 10.

At this time, did not perform a clean install. Maybe someday, I just don't feel compelled at the moment.

Thanks to the forum for helping me address several issues prior to the conversion.

:)

HikerGuy, Apr 22, 2016
  2. Jay_answers, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Samsung focus to update gone to the dark side

ok so i was updating my samsung focus 2 it froze then zune froze so i went threw the basics pulled battery, format ect none of this worked the phone just goes to the Samsung logo screen then turns it self off zune dosent even see it please helpS

JoshuaNorth, Apr 22, 2016
  4. DooGie Win User

Pleased to hear you got a good result HikerGuy.
    I followed the same route as you but my bootup time seemed a bit slow, I bit the bullet and did a clean install of Windows 10 and haven't looke back since. I'd suggest that as soon as you feel compelled to do a clean install you follow your instincts and do it *Smile

DooGie, Apr 23, 2016
  5. HikerGuy Win User
    DooGie, Thx. I probably will do a fresh install sometime soon, and may do it at the same time I purchase updates to my MS Office 2010 suite and migrate to a M.2 drive.
    Lots of things to keep me busy for awhile.

HikerGuy, Apr 23, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Might not have to do clean install soon.
    My computer also home built with standard of the shelf parts (those seem to have less problems) is W7 > 8 > 8.1 > 10 with few HW upgrades in between and everything working fine.

CountMike, Apr 23, 2016
  7. The GWX App was a colossal failure for me. Took forever to download the files to do the upgrade, then just sat there on verifying your PC for hours on end. I bailed and did the upgrade now from the MCT webpage. That was ages ago now. I've long since done clean installs on all my PC's. You'd think they would have the kinks worked out by now?

alphanumeric, Apr 23, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

It didn't do anything for me. It just sat there telling me I should upgrade but never went thru. That was on W8.1 upgraded from 7 while still dirt cheap. Finally downloaded it and used in dual boot until first normal release when I upgraded 8.1 to it and continued as insider.

CountMike, Apr 23, 2016
  9. I usually see one of two complaints. It doesn't download anything, or installs Windows 10 all by itself when your not looking? *Rolleyes

alphanumeric, Apr 23, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Or it just nags you to death until you give up.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded to the Dark Side... - Similar Threads - Upgraded Dark Side

2. Side by SIde error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Side by SIde error: Hi, I am getting side by side error while running any program on windows 10. error is "Application has failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect. Event log is showing below detailsActivation context generation failed for "System Default Context"....
  3. Side by SIde error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Side by SIde error: Hi, I am getting side by side error while running any program on windows 10. error is "Application has failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect. Event log is showing below detailsActivation context generation failed for "System Default Context"....
  4. side by side configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    side by side configuration: the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/side-by-side-configuration/375110d8-05d1-4c69-8ecc-087f88676162
  5. DISPLAY RESOLUTION OPTION IS NOT WORKING. SCREEN GOT DARK OF LEFT SIDE

in Windows 10 Customization
    DISPLAY RESOLUTION OPTION IS NOT WORKING. SCREEN GOT DARK OF LEFT SIDE: Hi there. I am using WINDOWS 10 I do not know how and why but mydisplay resolution is not working literally, the only option of the setting isnot working. the is screen of my LCD got black from left side. I do not know ho to fix that. please help me I am tired of it....
  6. side-by-side configuration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    side-by-side configuration: side-by-side config error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/side-by-side-configuration/ee553de1-1bfe-4987-ad58-c596b29795c4
  7. HELP upgrade to 1903 and screen is squashed in on the sides

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP upgrade to 1903 and screen is squashed in on the sides: I tried upgrading drivers from device manager, windows said ran into a problem. Without a full screen display, the PC is not one I want to use for windows. The sides are missing 3 inches on each side, so its just black there. In windows 1809, had no problem, screen image...
  8. !! Dark side iof Outlook !!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    !! Dark side iof Outlook !!: Hi, I use Outlook a lot now that I am in uni and just want to know how to change dark mode on when on the web version. I don't think I am in Beta and I can't find the dark mode switch in the quick settings menu, if fact I don't think I can find the quick setting menu, have...
  9. My laptop screen has a big dark shadow on the side

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop screen has a big dark shadow on the side: I own a Dell XPS 15 115z and I have been having this screen issue for about a year, I don't know what the problem is. This is how it looks: [img] Why is my screen like this? Is it some virus or is the LCD screen burned out? What should I do? HELP ME*cry 44700
  10. Coming to the dark side

in Windows 10 Support
    Coming to the dark side: Hi all, Well it had to happen....I'm leaving the light of W7 and coming to the dark side....... W10 *Shock Got full of lunatic soup over the holidays and stupidly told my Grand-kid he could have my computer *Party So built another one and here I am....Glad to see a few of...