Windows 10: Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate

Discus and support Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This is kinda a Windows 7 question, but I think Windows 10 might have changed my product key and now it's incompatible with 7 or something. Basically,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pugseason, Feb 6, 2016.

1. pugseason Win User

Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate

This is kinda a Windows 7 question, but I think Windows 10 might have changed my product key and now it's incompatible with 7 or something. Basically, I 'upgraded' W7 to W10 a while back and exceeded my W7 rollback date (wanted a clean install anyway) so I looked around and found this site which posted the old DigitalRiver W7 iso's. I downloaded my old version, installed it, and it won't activate. In trying to enter my product key it says "invalid character" when I type an N that is in the key (I checked to see what the key was in my W10 install using a program that reports it.) Note that I have both 7 and 10 installed on the same computer right now on separate partitions, in case that affects anything. Why won't it activate and how can I fix it? Am I boned?

:)

pugseason, Feb 6, 2016
  2. tdug Win User

Retail key comes up as invalid when trying to upgrade win 7 to win 10

You have to upgrade from W7 to W10 in order to (automatically) activate the later.

Once W10 is activated, you can do a fresh W10 install (don't give any key). But not before !

W7 key won't work for W10 !

tdug, Feb 6, 2016
  3. tdug Win User
    Many games on steam don't "start up" (im using a laptop)

Hello,

If i downgrade back to windows 8.1 am i able to re install the windows 10 upgrade for free at a later time ?

Yes, during a year.

I did it with W7. Upgrade to W10 (activation OK).

Rollback to W7 (activation OK).

A few days after, Upgrade again to W10 (activation OK).

All my upgrades were done with the DVD (setup.exe), Inside my W7. No boot from the DVD.

tdug, Feb 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You are entering your old Windows 7 product key, right?

NavyLCDR, Feb 6, 2016
  5. pugseason Win User
    It's OEM... I'm entering the key it tells me my Windows 10 install has active, because I upgraded from 7 to 10. I don't know if it is the same as my old Windows 7 key, but considering how it tells me there are invalid characters I'd doubt it.

pugseason, Feb 6, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    If your pc came with Windows 7 preinstalled, and you have never REINSTALLED windows 7, using COA key, then key extraction programs even as clever as showkeyplus cannot retrieve if it was never used.

Run showkeyplus and post an image, blanking out all but last five letters of any key for security.

COA keys are usually on a blue sticker on base of pc (or sometimes under battery if a laptop).

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  7. pugseason Win User
    Ran it on my W10, showed this:

Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate [​IMG]

Then I thought to 'Retrieve key from backup" from W7's "Windows.old" folder I backed up a while back

Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate [​IMG]

Out of curiosity, tried entering that product key for the W7 in my new W7 and it told me the key was default and wouldn't work.

Also I think before I retrieved the backup key thing it had said "Windows 10 OEM marker present in firmware" instead of 7.

I don't have the sticker. This is a custom PC. It was an extra bit of money and I didn't buy it.

pugseason, Feb 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

So it sounds like you had an illegal copy of Windows 7 before to save money. Guess if you want it now, you should actually pay for it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 6, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    I am puzzled - showkeyplus says it has an oem marker, and you extracted a default (oem-slp preinstalled) key, and yet pc was allegedy custom built which would use either a retail or system builder oem (not preinstalled) licence, which would show up as a unique key (and no oem marker).

This suggests whover sold you the custom pc cannibalised a mass produced pc, but probably had no COA key to legitimately activate it. As NavyLCDR speculates, the licence was probably activated using illegal means.

Time to splash the cash I think.

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  10. pugseason Win User
    Are you kidding me... man, I didn't know it wasn't legitimate when I bought it. Windows licensing is complicated as hell. I don't know how any of this works. I thought it was legitimate but he just wasn't gonna give me the sticker or something... well wait, how does it work now though? if it's not legitimate then how come Windows activated it on my original W7 installation and it worked with my W10 upgrade? Can anyone explain to me like I'm 5?

pugseason, Feb 7, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Whatever illegal method the person who built your computer used to activate Windows 7 was good enough to fool Windows 10 into creating the file (genuineticket.xml) required to activate Windows 10. As you found out - whatever illegal activation method they used did not involve sending the product key to Microsoft for verification which is the legal way to do it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  12. pugseason Win User
    Do they still sell W7 Pro retail? I can't find one anywhere online... it's all OEM and there are very few listings anywhere of those even.. and a lot that are there are like 300-400 dollars 0.o

pugseason, Feb 7, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

I do not wish to go into detail regarding the illegal activation employed on your machine, I'd just mention that an OEM marker has been injected into the bios to spoof a Windows 7 OEM PC... you can check in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\RSDT which OEM they copied.
    MS has 'till now not found a way to counter this and thus Windows 10 cannot differentiate a genuine from an illegal version.

Superfly, Feb 7, 2016
  14. pugseason Win User
    Since retail dvds are practically non-existent anymore, I would have to install a new OEM copy for myself. Will this overwrite the existing marker or would it add to it? Or would I have to remove the existing marker manually?

pugseason, Feb 7, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    The marker on it's own is useless without a matching certificate and can be left there if you want... or a bios update from the motherboard's manufacturers website will remove it.

System builder keys, are OEM but are not the same as those employed by the large companies (which activate against the above combo offline )- i.e they activate online like retail - they carry a special EULA for personal use, however.

Superfly, Feb 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Upgraded to W10, downgraded to W7 unconventionally, won't activate - Similar Threads - Upgraded W10 downgraded

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  6. Please help. W7 activation issue after downgrade and SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Please help. W7 activation issue after downgrade and SSD upgrade: Hi all, I just bought a Lenovo X140e, which comes with Windows 7 Professional preinstalled through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro. I setup the computer fine under W7, then proceeded to install W10 so I could get the "hardware license" for Windows 10. At the moment, I...
  7. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  8. Downgrade W10 to W7 on a New System

Downgrade W10 to W7 on a New System: I need to have W7 or 8 for my system for compatibility with equipment at work. I want to buy a new computer but they all run on W10 now. Is it possible to downgrade from a W10 to a 7 on a brand new system? Everything I have searched seems to be if the system already had...
  9. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...
  10. [Downgrade W10 to W7] Windows 7 won't boot

[Downgrade W10 to W7] Windows 7 won't boot: Hello Tenforum users, I have been trying to replace pre-installed Windows 10 to Windows 7 x64 in UEFI (Secure boot disabled) on my girlfriend lap Acer V15 V3-575G-50W2. Bios version is 1.10. I almost have lost my sanity with such a task (why should be so difficult to...