Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, A couple of months ago I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I didn't do a clean install, I just went through the upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pballkid29, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Hi,

A couple of months ago I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I didn't do a clean install, I just went through the upgrade process.

Everything went smoothly, and I've been loving everything about windows 10 since then, but today it started to warn me that my license is about to expire. I was under the impression the license from my Windows 7 would be transferred over.

This is what my update and security screen looks like...

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate! [​IMG]

When I click activate it just does this...

And nothing happens. When I go to change the product key, and I put in my windows 10 license code they gave me.

I get a different error if i put in my windows 7 license code.

I don't know what to do. I'm frustrated by this. I was under the impression that this was a free upgrade, and now I feel like I'm going to have to buy a new license.

any help or advice is MUCH appreciated.

:)

pballkid29, Mar 5, 2016

2. MICROSOFT ONLY: Upgrading from Windows 7 TRIAL Edition to Free Windows 10

You cannot upgrade from a non-activated version of Windows 7 to the free copy of Windows 10. Windows 7 must be activated.

If you have a full version Windows 10 license, yes, you can upgrade from a non-activated version.

If you happen to be running a Windows 7 Enterprise 90 day trial, the answer is no, you cannot upgrade from such a trial.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 5, 2016
  3. mlg63 Win User
    apps does'nt starts

Windows 10 upgrade cannot be activated if it is installed on an empty disk. It is an upgrade and windows 7 must be installed on the drive and activated to qualify for the free upgrade. You must now reinstall windows 7, update it and check for activation
    and do the upgrade again from within Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

mlg63, Mar 5, 2016
  4. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Okay, just a small update. I found this thread, where someone was having the same issue.

In Andre Da Costa's final response, he provided another product key to try. (YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7) I tried it, and it worked! I couldn't believe it and I don't understand it. Is this a legit key, or is this some kind of piracy that might cause me trouble?

Since it came from the official microsoft forum, I am hopeful that this was a legit solution and that I have a valid license. I am not trying to pirate the software, I was a legit owner of windows 7 and I was promised a free upgrade, but Microsoft refused to honor that license after pushing me into the upgrade!

I appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks!

pballkid29, Mar 5, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    No need to worry - that is just a generic key that probably just forced windows to check your pc on its activation servers.

I have same generic key.

Note : are you running version 10586 (run winver). Latest version is 10586 which would explain why 7 key did not work/f still on 10240.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    The -H8Q99 key was incorrectly distributed as a generic in 10240 - that was corrected to the -8HVX7 key subsequently.

The problem with the former is that it is a volume licence key and Windows keeps looking for a KMS server to activate it (as VL is not part of digital entitlement) - that is an offline method (ie. LAN not WAN)
    Now that the retail generic key is installed it uses the online (WAN) activation method and thus activation is successful based on the original upgrade stored at MS.

Hope it makes sense the way I explained...

Superfly, Mar 5, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Nice explanation.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2016
  8. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

I have all the same errors as above - I am on Windows 10 Home - my product key ends in 8HVX7 - the above fix does not work for me
    I am on dell laptop XPS L501X
    any ideas appreciated please

orangeanorak, Mar 6, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just the same idea that was posted in your first thread on this problem....

From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:
    slmgr /dlv

Post the results here and we can help you more.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  10. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate! [​IMG]

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks! We have ruled out that your problem with activation is due to attempted KMS activation because the activation method shown is what is normal. Next, please run showkeyplus from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

If you click on the product keys they will blank out and then you can post the result, please.

EDIT: I just noticed you are on build 10240. Pretty much for any other attempted fix to work you are going to have to upgrade to build 10586. But - don't do that until we get the results of Showkey.

Also see here for that error code:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-fc9f42c3deb2

They suggest just hitting the activate windows button over and over again.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  12. Superfly Win User
    I think it may be a networking issue that's preventing the installation ID getting through to MS - turn off AV/Firewall temporarily and try again.

Superfly, Mar 6, 2016
  13. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Here are the results from Showkey.

This machine was originally shipped with Win7 Home, had it's original HDD replaced due to damage, was later upgraded to windows 10 from inside 7.

Last September the HDD was removed to be used in another machine and a new SSD was installed in this one. Win10 was clean installed from a flash drive created using the media creation tool, and it correctly identified the Win7 BIOS key and activated with no problems.

In January the keyboard was replaced, then about a month later windows reported that it wasn't activated. The keyboard is the only hardware change since W10 was last activated. My understanding is that the motherboard is the only component that should trigger deactivation so the keyboard replacement is unlikely to have caused this.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm sorry, but that is impossible. There have never been Windows 7 product keys stored in BIOS that could be retrieved to activate Windows. If there was a product key in bios, Showkey would display it. What happened was Windows 10 retrieved the digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers when the first upgrade was done. Now something is keeping Windows 10 from retrieving that digital entitlement.

So, what I would try:
    Disable any firewalls, including Windows firewall and anti-virus programs that could be blocking network traffic to Microsoft activation servers.

in an elevated command prompt run:
    slmgr /upk
    slmgr /ipk YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
    slmgr /ato

Show us the results you get from the last command

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  15. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate! [​IMG]

all done - blocked

Thema:

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

1. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate! - Similar Threads - Upgraded Activate

2. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  3. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  4. How to upgrade from windows 8.1 (not activated) to windows 10 (I have win 10 key )?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to upgrade from windows 8.1 (not activated) to windows 10 (I have win 10 key )?: Cant find how to do that , all tutorials require activated windows 8.1 ... submitted by /u/savvasr200 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1btr0io/how_to_upgrade_from_windows_81_not_activated_to/
  5. How to upgrade from 8.1 (not activated) to windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to upgrade from 8.1 (not activated) to windows 10: All the tutorials that I found requires activated windows 8.1 and I cant find any info how to upgrade to windows 10 have without activated windows 8.1 ... What i should do to upgrade ? submitted by /u/savvasr200 [link] [comments]...
  6. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...: I built my PC in 2019 and activated windows 10 with a product key I bought. I had no issues until I recently upgraded my CPU. The activate windows watermark came back so I went into the troubleshoot settings of activation and clicked I recently upgraded parts of this PC and...
  7. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...: I built my PC in 2019 and activated windows 10 with a product key I bought. I had no issues until I recently upgraded my CPU. The activate windows watermark came back so I went into the troubleshoot settings of activation and clicked I recently upgraded parts of this PC and...
  8. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

9. I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...: I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. When I click on my purchase history, it opens a new browser tab and says "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." I am trying to get my product key so I can activate the upgraded Windows 11...
  10. I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...

I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...: I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. When I click on my purchase history, it opens a new browser tab and says "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." I am trying to get my product key so I can activate the upgraded Windows 11...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 but it will not activate