Windows 10: Upgraded to Windows 10, won't recognize as owner, settings dont save

Discus and support Upgraded to Windows 10, won't recognize as owner, settings dont save in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys, I just upgraded from win7 to win10. Smooth upgrade, but I noticed all my textfiles on my desktop and sticky notes from win7 disappeared. So I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by willy156, May 16, 2016.

1. willy156 Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10, won't recognize as owner, settings dont save

Hi guys, I just upgraded from win7 to win10. Smooth upgrade, but I noticed all my textfiles on my desktop and sticky notes from win7 disappeared. So I decided to restart my pc. What I noticed is on the bottom right of the screen as I reboot, it says something along the lines of "Unable to access data and documents because you are not signed in. Please sign out and re-sign in". I also notice that anything I do on thje computer gets reverted back to default after the computer is shutdown/rebooted. Now the odd thing is that my computer is called "HP" even from windows 7. So even after I sign out and sign in, I can only see "HP" as an option and no "Guest" or anything else. But even logging in as "HP" still won't recognzie me as the owner. PLease help. Thanks!

:)

willy156, May 16, 2016

2. Changing a xxx.config and saving it in folder Programs Files(x86)

Good Day,

Yes I am logged in as the Administrator and I did receive a message that would not allow me to save the altered file.

"

"click the Advanced button, then click "Change" owner on the Advanced Security Settings dialog (if you are already the owner, do this step anyway!), and in the resulting dialog enter whatever you want the owner to be, in my case it's my Microsoft account).
    "

If I change the owner's name, will the operating system(Windows 10) recognize the new owner as having the administrative privilege to change this file within the Program Files(x86) directory?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would setting a restore point be useful prior to performing the aforementioned operation?

Smoken River, May 16, 2016
  3. Rickety69 Win User
    Windows 10 doesn't recognise USB device on an external hard drive?

Since upgrading(?) my windows 7 to 10 the computer won't recognize my external hard drive even though Norton doesn't seem to have any problem saving back up files to the drive. When I connect the drive to the computer via the USB plug a message appears
    stating "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it".

Rickety69, May 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Yes anything that was on your Windows 7 install will not transfer over to 10, unless it is programs and documents in folders that the OS install is set by Microsoft to transfer over. Microsoft has deemed prior editions of Windows incompatible with Windows 10, so you see a lot of issues crop up when you do a in place install. Always do a clean install, never let Windows update. The update would have been pending for reboot after idle. It is easy to stop the install if people just kept an eye on what they allow to be downloaded by Microsoft Update on the prior and current version, along with shutting down their device when not using it, instead of leaving it running and to go into sleep which can be woken up when Windows checks for updates.

As for logging in. You have to use a Live account with your email and a password. Otherwise you have to use a Local account. It is easy to go and fix if you download the Windows 10 PE and install on a USB stick.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  5. willy156 Win User
    Hi there, thanks for replying. The problem I have with logging in even with a live account is that the computer keeps thinking I'm using a temporary profile. So whenever I logg out/shut down the computer and turning it on, the computer will return to its state after installing windows 10.

willy156, May 16, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    There is no Temporary profile on Windows. If you had a local profile with no password on Windows 7, that will stay there. As for your other profile, you will probably have to recreate it and inherit the Security permissions to get back your old stuff if Windows.old is on the drive.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  7. willy156 Win User
    Hi bro67, here is an attached image of what I see every time I turn on my computer: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    On windows 7, I had a profile "HP" and I believe it still exists on my Windows 10 because I can see it under Users. However I also see: TEMP, TEMP.HP-PC, TEMP.HP-PC.000..TEMP.HP-PC.003 and I believe this will continue to grow after every time I turn on my computer. How do I access my old windows 7 profile and inherit Security permissions to retrieve my old documents? I see Windows.old but it's pretty empty.

willy156, May 16, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

HP is not a Temp user, it is a factory set user, with no password. It is supposed to have a password set up for it after you get the computer. Because you did not, it gets disabled during the Windows 10 upgrade for security reasons. See my previous replies.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  9. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, May 16, 2016
  10. willy156 Win User
    Hey guys, I think windows 10 fixed itself. I had an update last night when I turned off my pc, and upon turning on my pc today after the update, I was greeted with the setting windows 10 screen instead of the typical sign in screen. After signing in, I could see my old desktop files, wallpaper, and sticky notes from windows 7! It seems Windows 10 fixed itself. Sweet!

willy156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded to Windows 10, won't recognize as owner, settings dont save - Similar Threads - Upgraded won't recognize

2. Windows Spotlight setting won't save

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Spotlight setting won't save: I've just updated to Windows 11 and now Windows Spotlight doesn't work. In Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen > Personalise your lock screen, I select Windows Spotlight, but the minute I leave the page it resets to 'Picture'. If I choose a different picture, that will...
  3. Windows Spotlight setting won't save

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Spotlight setting won't save: I've just updated to Windows 11 and now Windows Spotlight doesn't work. In Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen > Personalise your lock screen, I select Windows Spotlight, but the minute I leave the page it resets to 'Picture'. If I choose a different picture, that will...
  4. Mic settings won't save

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mic settings won't save: My microphone is too loud. I've got a headset and I play video games where I need to use my mic. The problem is, it's always so loud. I've tried Settings > Sound > Input > Device Properties > Additional Device Properties. Then I changed it to 60% instead of 100%. It worked...
  5. Time settings won't save.

Time settings won't save.: I noticed that my time didn't change when daylight savings time occurred, so I went to settings to fix the issue, but when I went to go change it the settings wouldn't save. Every time I hit the sync button, or left and came back, it would turn back off. Eventually, I got fed...
  6. Power and sleep setting won't save.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power and sleep setting won't save.: My power and sleep settings won't stay how I set them. Every time I reboot, they go back to a default of turning off the display after 1 hour and sleeping the PC at 2 hours. I don't need to save battery power on this desktop PC and I want it to stay on....
  7. Windows won't save diagnostic&feedback settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't save diagnostic&feedback settings: I just fixed the diagnostic full option being hidden via the group editor, now I can switch from basic to full but it won't save the setting and as soon as I leave the panel it will reset to basic. If anyone could help me, I really would like to change that settings so I can...
  8. Windows 10 Update Lost & Won't Save my Settings

Windows 10 Update Lost & Won't Save my Settings: After an automatic Windows 10 update, all my personalization settings were reset to default. I re-chose my preferred settings, but every time I logged on the settings were reset and Windows thinks I'm logging onto my laptop, to the internet, and using Microsoft Office...
  9. windows update won't save personal settings

windows update won't save personal settings: I was asked to install a windows update. Now windows will not remember any of my personal settings. Every time I start up the computer, the settings go back to default. The back ground goes back to the windows graphic. The taskbar does not retain the icons I pinned to it...
  10. Settings won't save

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings won't save: My pc settings won't save for example it ask me everytime i open opera whether i want to make it my default browser, I tick off option to connect to one of my wi-fis but it won't go through i have to tick it off every time i check wi-fis list, I even deleted it from my...