Windows 10: Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner

Discus and support Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Getting a new computer and husband will get this one. How do I go about changing the sign in so it has no 'connection' with my new one. I want him to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Floridagal, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner

Getting a new computer and husband will get this one. How do I go about changing the sign in so it has no 'connection' with my new one. I want him to have his own Microsoft account. Would switching to Local Account and then back to Microsoft Account let me accomplish this?

:)

Floridagal, Sep 23, 2015

2. Program transfer

I Purchased a NEW Dell computer with DELL INSTALLED WINDOWS 10 DONE IN THEIR FACTORY Not upgrade or store or owner install.

DaveHoffman14, Sep 23, 2015
  3. New computer owner

I recently purchased a widescreen pc with Windows 10. Now, my parents both bought one too.

Guess who gets to set them up...

I bought a book and am following along.

When setting up a personal computer, does each get set up as the "administrator" or something else? Should it be a Microsoft account... which? I want to do this correctly and the book wasn't very specific.

Thanks,

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

onlinejason, Sep 23, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner

Ya you could do that, what I would do is switch back to a Local account. Then make a new local account for your husband. Switch to that account, and then delete your former local account, but do it from the new account. Make sure you save your files old account files to the new desktop.

Remember that creating a new account brings up the Settings tile to New Users. Maker sure you add strictly a Local account with no phone number or MS account - You can create the MS account later. Don't even bother with a password, this is just for a quick setup.

Once you are logged into the new account, and before you switch make sure you assign Administrator access to it in Control Panel (Manage Another Account, Change Account Type of the new account to Admin) or else you won't be able to manage the old account.

Then Log Into the new, manage the old, delete it with the option to save all of your user data to a desktop folder. Easy Peasy.

XweAponX, Sep 23, 2015
  5. XweAponX Win User
    Here are some screenshots. I forgot to mention, if you create a new account local or otherwise, when you switch to it, it will go through the whole setup routine, takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

1) Manage the account to be deleted:

Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner [​IMG]

2) Choose Delete

3) "Keep your Files" (I selected "Delete", use "Keep"!)

XweAponX, Sep 23, 2015
  6. Thanks for the input. Guess this will be the way to go. Boy, Microsoft has made this a chore. I could understand for office computers but for a home computer it's nuts.

Floridagal, Sep 24, 2015
  7. SBYH Win User
    Good grief, I'll say. Painful is more the word. Who will be the administrator after all this is done?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Umm.... just curious..... if you want a new user to have their own new user account on the computer, and want to delete the old user account on the computer, exactly how else would you expect Microsoft to handle it? You create the new user account for the new user. You pick if that new user wants to be a local account or a MS account, you pick if that new user wants to be an administrator or not, and then delete the old user account. I can't exactly see any other way that would be less "painful".

And the way XweAponX is just his suggested way of doing it, which contains a couple extra steps. You don't have to drop the first account down to a local account first if you are just going to delete it. You don't have to create the new user account as a local account first if it is going to end up being a MS account anyway.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner - Similar Threads - Upgraded computer going

2. How to Erase a Windows 11 desktop computer for a new owner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Erase a Windows 11 desktop computer for a new owner?: What is the best way to wipe and restore the computer to factory settings so its brand new for a new owner? I tried going to Reset this PC then select Remove Everything. I was unsure to select Cloud Download or Local Reinstall for Windows? I do not have a Windows reinstall...
  3. How to Erase a Windows 11 desktop computer for a new owner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Erase a Windows 11 desktop computer for a new owner?: What is the best way to wipe and restore the computer to factory settings so its brand new for a new owner? I tried going to Reset this PC then select Remove Everything. I was unsure to select Cloud Download or Local Reinstall for Windows? I do not have a Windows reinstall...
  4. Owner of Computer Died.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Owner of Computer Died.: I have a friend that Passed Away. They had only had their new computer for maybe 30 days.No, I Do Not know the password for the machine. I just want to wipe the hard drive clean so no one can get any of their personal information. I just know they got Win 11 on it, I'm not...
  5. Owner of Computer Died.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Owner of Computer Died.: I have a friend that Passed Away. They had only had their new computer for maybe 30 days.No, I Do Not know the password for the machine. I just want to wipe the hard drive clean so no one can get any of their personal information. I just know they got Win 11 on it, I'm not...
  6. computer owner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    computer owner: I have tried to change settings and am told that only the owner can make the change I want. I AM the owner. I am also the administrator. I havce been told that I need to change the title "owner" from the PC to me. How do I do this. I have changed anything that I have...
  7. Computer Upgrade New Windows 10 Install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Upgrade New Windows 10 Install: Just install a new MSI Z390A Pro motherboard. New ram 2x8GB DDR4. NIVIDIA Dual RTX 2070 graphics card. Using Samsung Digital Hard Drive 250 GB. Install new WIN 10 Pro let it set up system including hard drive. Installed driver for video card from NIVIDIA. Installed network...
  8. computer owner change

in Windows 10 Customization
    computer owner change: My mother passed away and I'm her son and new owner of the computer. How doI remove her name and replace with mine ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-owner-change/9bc33b1c-ba7b-4da5-8c72-8ee08b9f0a83
  9. Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 License with an Upgrades or New Computer: Hello everyone, Between now and April's end, I plan to either upgrade my existing computer (new graphics card and more ram) or purchase a new one (purchased hardware, built for me). For my current computer, I did the free upgrade of my copy of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10...
  10. New laptop owner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New laptop owner: my dad passed and I had his Microsoft email accounts deleted. Now I'm trying to figure out how to register/change ownership to me. I really messed something up because now the Windows 10 is confused. It remember my dad pin for my sign-on for my email address, the online...