Windows 10: Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD

Discus and support Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay, One of my systems currently has Windows 7 Home Premium that somewhere along the line I used it to play around with 10. Because when I go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trust_No1, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Trust_No1 Win User

Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD

Okay,

One of my systems currently has Windows 7 Home Premium that somewhere along the line I used it to play around with 10. Because when I go to the Windows upgrade site, it is recognized as a Windows 10 machine.

Now, I am currently running on HHDs a couple of 4TB units (needs external software to make drives usable to exceed Premium drive size limits). I purchased a 500GB SSD to put OS on (thinking of upgrading to Windows 10) as to eliminate un-necessary software.

My question is if I do an upgrade of my Windows 7 to 10, can I install the SSD first and then do the upgrade to the new SSD drive.
    OR
    should I upgrade Windows 7 first and then try to migrate (not crazy about the idea)

I hope you understand the question.

:)

Trust_No1, Jul 30, 2016
  2. Preddk Win User

Cant ativate windows 10 after clean install

Hi i did update my win 7 to win 10 and got it activate.

i had to do a reinstall of win 10 from the iso on a new ssd. win 7 was on a old hhd allmost giving up.

After install it will not activate anymore, is the key locked to the hhd as well?

And what do i do now?

Preddk, Jul 30, 2016
  3. steve4CTL Win User
    Upgrade from Win 10-32bit to Win 10-64bit using a new SSD boot drive

What are the steps to no cost upgrade to 64-bit Windows 10 while swapping out the boot HHD to a SSD. I have a Dell T3400 Precision Desktop computer with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor. My current boot drive is a WD Raptor and has already been upgraded
    from Win 7 Pro 32 bit to Win 10 32-bit. From what I've read so far the steps appear to be:

1. Clone the Raptor HHD to the SSD.

2. Install the SSD to be sure it works properly and windows is still activated.

3. Perform the Custom Install from the ISO media (DVD) and select keep no data (for a clean install).

Is this correct or am I missing something or is there s simpler way to do it?

steve4CTL, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

You should be able to clean install Windows 10 on the SSD.
    Install the SSD, disconnect all other drives.
    Boot DVD or flash drive and clean install. When asked for a key Skip it. System should activate when install is complete.

Now you can reconnect any other drives as long as the SSD is in SATA port 0.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Trust_No1 Win User
    Great !!
    Thank you I thought the system had to be identical for the upgrade to work properly
    What is it actually looking at then, for the criteria, my mobo, cpu, ram? all of the above?

When I plug the other drive back in, would it recognize it as a second system and make it a dual boot machine?

Trust_No1, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Primarily the mother board. Hard drive replacement is a normal activity (failed, too small, need more room, HDD to SSD) so should not impact the hardware hash used to identify the computer.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD - Similar Threads - Upgrading HHD SSD

2. win10 migration from HHD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 migration from HHD to SSD: Hello Everyone, I've got an SSD which already has a an older version of windows and an HDD with my current win10 version. I´d like to know how to migrate the new version from the HDD to the SSD and then, how to configure it to boost the new one without having to erase the old...
  3. Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD: Hi, i have installed a new SSD into my PC and would like to migrate Windows 10 into the new SSD from my old HHD. I do not have a USB or CD disk at hand and since im in quarantine i cannot obtain one at the moment. I was wondering though since i want to completely reformat my...
  4. Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD: Hi, i have installed a new SSD into my PC and would like to migrate Windows 10 into the new SSD from my old HHD. I do not have a USB or CD disk at hand and since im in quarantine i cannot obtain one at the moment. I was wondering though since i want to completely reformat my...
  5. Replace HHD with SSD

Replace HHD with SSD: I have a a computer that I want to install a ssd in and use the current hhd for the file storrage. The version of windows 10 when I bought my computer was 1903. I made a recovery USB for it and have not backed up any of the updates. If I put a ssd in and use my backup will...
  6. Transferring Windows 10 From a HHD to an SSD M.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring Windows 10 From a HHD to an SSD M.2: I need some help with transferring Windows 10 64-Bit to my M.2 Drive... So where do I start? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-windows-10-from-a-hhd-to-an-ssd-m2/777554b7-4bfd-49a8-98f7-55ddf37dd194
  7. Windows 10 HHD to SSD Transfer

Windows 10 HHD to SSD Transfer: I just purchased an SSD that I want to use as my primary disk. Before this SSD I was (and still am sadly) using an HHD. I have already migrated all of my files using an application called 'Data Migration'. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm already...
  8. Win 10 HHD to a Win 10 SSD

Win 10 HHD to a Win 10 SSD: how do I get the installed software on my HHD with Win 10 to work with my SSD with Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-hhd-to-a-win-10-ssd/ea8cbb19-2aab-4872-942e-e0490820af36
  9. Windows 10 HHD to SSD migration

Windows 10 HHD to SSD migration: So, I've recently bought a SSD 120gb drive. I waanted to only keep there my OS and browser. I wanted to transfer only the OS from old 1tb HHD to my new SSD. The problem is that i don't have partition only for system. My only partition is C: disk which contains my photos and...
  10. Run SSD and HHD in harmony

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Run SSD and HHD in harmony: Hey, I am a long term Mac user and have replaced the main PC with a windows 10 one which has been custom built. The OS is stored on the 120GB SSD drive and there is also a 1TB HHD that I want to use as the library and also place for installing programs etc. Basically...