Windows 10: Upgrading an extremely old laptop (Samsung X10) from XP to win10

Discus and support Upgrading an extremely old laptop (Samsung X10) from XP to win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning to give away to local charity my old trusty Samsung X10 Laptop installed w/ win XP. Knowing that it's completely out-dated and lacks any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alecela, Apr 27, 2017.

1. alecela Win User

Upgrading an extremely old laptop (Samsung X10) from XP to win10

I'm planning to give away to local charity my old trusty Samsung X10 Laptop installed w/ win XP. Knowing that it's completely out-dated and lacks any support whatsoever, I fear that it might produce more trouble than the potential benefit. As such, I'm thinking of a clean install of win10 so that hopefully someone can get some use out of it with little hassle. It's got a 1.5Ghz single core CPU and 2Gb of RAM w/ 40Gb PATA HDD. I *believe* it should meet the minimum requirement for windows 10. Here're the problem I've encountered so far:

I copied the win10 ISO file onto the USB and used virtual CD program to access it (create the drive, then mount the file etc etc). Unfortunately the laptop complained the setup.exe is NOT a valid win32 app. I check the very same file on my own laptop and the it is perfectly intact. I also defrag'ed the HDD on the X10 prior so that there is literally NO fragmented file anymore. At this point, I'm running out of option and can't seem to find a good solution while searching the net. Any help/pointer pls? Tx in advance.

:)

alecela, Apr 27, 2017

2. Service Pack Causes Samsung T1 SSD to not load

Running a Dell XPS 730 i7 PC with Win10.

There are several automatic updates to Win10 that loaded and my USB3 Samsung T1 SSD will not load. It is recognized, but when I type i its encryption password nothing happens. I uninstalled the updates and it works. Not sure which one caused it, I think
    it is Service Pack 2 for Office 2010.

The SSD works OK on my old XP laptop, and my new Win10 Dell laptop, and my Mac Pro.

How do I stop the Service Pack from loading?

Zero_Kamikaze, Apr 27, 2017
  3. win 10 to Xp upgrade?

recently have had to resort to using a windows 10 laptop as old faithful xp version finally had hardware failure, I bought this Win10 laptop 107 weeks ago, took the time to learn how to get around 10, I didn't appreciate the huge 'backward step' and went
    back to the user friendly XP, now I've revisited Win10, turned off all that new wifi stuff so as to have a decent pc speed (I'm not into touchscreens, I have finger nails), now I'm still disgusted as to the huge backward step this Win10 is from XP, just trying
    to view my own pictures is 3 times the effort, how do I upgrade win10 to work like XP?

NicBiswell, Apr 27, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

5. mike s Win User
    There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win10. By attempting to launch setup from within XP, that is, essentially, what you are trying to do. A clean install is only accomplished booting the installation media and allowing it to run the setup from within. The correct way is to create a bootable USB drive from the ISO, or burn it to a DVD.

Your laptop should run Win10 but there may be issues with finding compatible drivers, especially for the video. I'm trying to find specs on this unit but they seem to have fallen off the map about 9 years ago.

mike s, Apr 27, 2017
  6. You might even consider installing Ubuntu. Its free, has less demands on machine, uses Firefox or Chrome as a browser, Libre Office will install as a good stand in for Office, also free, and it likely will be easier to secure from Malware.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 27, 2017
  7. sn00ker Win User
    So you bought windows 10 and your going to install it on a old laptop just to give it away for charity. You're better off to leave xp . There really isn't much one can do with it on windows 10 that can't be used with xp .

sn00ker, Apr 27, 2017
  8. alecela Win User

Thanks for your response. The intention of installing win10 is NOT mainly for added functionality. More like I fear that XP is so out dated & vulnerable that it might actually cause more hassle for the charity organization.

alecela, Apr 28, 2017
  9. alecela Win User
    That's a great idea! I might just do that if I failed to get win10 or even win7 to install... Thanks for the suggestion!

alecela, Apr 28, 2017
  10. alecela Win User
    Very clear. Crossing my fingers that win10 should hopefully be backward compatible w/ my 10yr+ old laptop in terms of drivers... Thanks!

alecela, Apr 28, 2017
  11. alecela Win User
    Thanks for the great pointer. Will let you know if I have any success.

alecela, Apr 28, 2017
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    You will need to purchase the full retail Windows 10 license, or else you are giving the charity an unlicensed Windows 10, which is more of a hassle than a licensed Windows XP installation.

Fafhrd, Apr 28, 2017
  13. DavidY Win User

Could it be that you have the 64-bit version of the installer?

I'm pretty sure that won't run in XP (which will be 32-bit unless it's the *very* rare 64-bit version) but even on a clean install, 64-bit is perhaps optimistic; I've only ever got 32 bit to work on my XP-era machine so I'd definitely make sure you're on the 32-bit installer.

Also, I'd go into XP and make a note of the devices and drivers it's running - I can't remember where you see this but think it might be from a right-click on My Computer? If you can manually find those drivers and download them in advance, so much the better. This will help in getting it going later.

I'd also observe that I'm having issues getting my XP-era laptop to run the latest version of Windows 10. It works fine with the 'Anniversary Update' (1607) but the Creators' Update (1703) is proving troublesome.

You may have better luck clean-installing the Anniversary Update (still available from Microsoft using Option 1 from here and using F12 in IE and saying you're running Safari (iPad), because apparently Macs running Boot Camp can't install Creators' Update either but can install the Anniversary Update).

Finally, I'd perhaps consider Windows 8.1. Windows 8 to XP was a supported route, and then I ended up in 8.1. I suspect Windows 8.1 will keep running more reliably than Windows 10 (where every major version update is a challenge on old hardware) and Windows 8.1 is still in support for a few years; probably more than the hardware will last. The only issue is that the user interface of Windows 8.1 is more challenging for folks who aren't used to it.

DavidY, Apr 28, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    It still would require purchasing a licence else the 8/8.1 would not be activated. At the moment (but who knows for how much longer?) a licenced copy of 8/8.1 can still be upgraded to an activated Windows 10, apparently.

15. DavidY Win User
    True enough - what I was getting at was that Windows 8.1 will potentially keep working longer than Windows 10.

DavidY, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Upgrading an extremely old laptop (Samsung X10) from XP to win10 - Similar Threads - Upgrading extremely old

2. Problems to update from XP to WIN10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems to update from XP to WIN10: Hi,While trying to update win XP on my old computer to win 10 I get down message.In english it says:Unknown error occurred. Tool cannot install on your computer. Contact support and inform the fault code. Fault code 0x80072F8F - 0x20000I have a problem to contact the support...
  3. Problems to update from XP to WIN10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems to update from XP to WIN10: Hi,While trying to update win XP on my old computer to win 10 I get down message.In english it says:Unknown error occurred. Tool cannot install on your computer. Contact support and inform the fault code. Fault code 0x80072F8F - 0x20000I have a problem to contact the support...
  4. Problems to update from XP to WIN10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. No audio device installed, old laptop upgrade to win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio device installed, old laptop upgrade to win10: Hi all, I'm new here, I will try to be brief. FYI English is not my first language. I have Asus K73SV (I believe from 2011) and recently I tried to "upgrade " it to work better. My laptop has never been formatted, I only used recovered as I feared I will loose my win 7...
  6. Win10 - Old Office XP Service Pack 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 - Old Office XP Service Pack 3: Win10 Ver 20H2 OS Build 19042.630 on an HP desktop. All updates working fine EXCEPT I have an old Office XP Service Pack 3 that's been trying to install since forever. 0x80096004. I just need it gone. Help....
  7. Upgrade old laptop to Win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade old laptop to Win10: I have an older laptop (Dell L501X) that was originally Win 7 Home (the Win7 serial number is still on it) that was upgraded to Win10 during the free upgrade period (or some such). That was about 4 years ago. The hard drive crashed and I am getting a new drive and want to...
  8. How to upgrade from very old to old Win10 version (not NOT newest)?

How to upgrade from very old to old Win10 version (not NOT newest)?: Assume I have a notebook with Win10 v1803. Now I would like to upgrade this Win10 to ONLY (!) Win10 v1903 but NOT the newest v1909. Is this possible? How can I avoid beeing upgraded to newest v1909? Peter 145113
  9. Win10 upgrade on old PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 upgrade on old PC: Okay, here's one out of left field for you guys. I have an Intel Pentium 4 Northwood sl6wk (Yes I am aware that Jesus owned a computer running the same) It meets all the Win10 requirements with flying colors though and is a very fast CPU even by today's standards. I...
  10. Upgrade from Windows XP

Upgrade from Windows XP: I downloaded the iso image for the 32bit version and burned into a DVD. When I boot from the DVD I get the nice Windows 10 blue screen that lasts for 2 minutes or so and then the screen goes away and the computer tries to reboot again. Tried several times with the same...