Windows 10: Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?

Discus and support Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all got a question. I have an old dell xps 8100 desktop that i bought around 2010 or so. I haven't used it in a while. I got it from dell.com.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?

Hey all got a question. I have an old dell xps 8100 desktop that i bought around 2010 or so. I haven't used it in a while. I got it from dell.com.

When i check the settings

i5 750 processor at 2.67ghz
    4gb ram
    500gb hard drive

Im pretty certain the hard drive is 5400rpm and not 7200rpm. But does that even matter much?

I haven't used this desktop in a while. But for comparison sake, this desktop is much slower than my laptop

Dell xps 15 9550 windows 10 pro with these specs?

6300HQ processor
    8gb ram
    256gb ssd

I have reinstalled windows 7 a while back but did not do it correctly because old files are still there. The thing is i wanted to know. If i upgrade the ram to 8gb and put in a 256gb ssd, would this desktop run as fast or even better than my dell xps 15 9550 laptop? I know that i5 750 desktop is already a quad core processor. Thus desktops are much faster than laptops. I have a spare ram and also a spare ssd. So if i put those 2 things in, would it basically be faster than my laptop? I ask this because if i want to use a desktop most of the time, i thinking this would be better than laptop?

So i already have a spare ssd and ram. But would you suggest i upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 if i do upgrade this desktop? Also that would mean this 2010 dell xps 8100 desktop is much faster than any laptops that came out the last few years right... assuming you put an ssd and make it 8gb ram just like the laptops? But if you don't put a ssd, then it won't? And most agree ssd is much more important than 8gb ram right?

Because this windows 7 desktop is pretty darn slow. And if i ever want a desktop, well i don't even need to buy a new desktop for like 800 dollars since this dell xps 8100 is still pretty good now? Because if a dell xps 8100 with i5 750 processor and 256gb ssd and 8gb ram is already faster than my current dell xps 15 9550 laptop with 6300hq processor, 256gb ssd and 8gb ram, well i know i certainly don't need to buy another desktop if i choose to use desktop in the future. So my only cost would be buying windows 10? Or would using windows 7 be still fine if i choose to do this a while later on?

:)

paulyjustin, Mar 29, 2018

2. Rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7 - Can I use original image discs?

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I would now like to go back to Windows 7. Can I just reinstall my old Windows 7 system as it exists on the original discs I made at the time I purchased my computer - or is the old registration/activation data
    cancelled due to my failed attempt to upgrade to windows 7?

Rodger2001, Mar 29, 2018
  3. new computer, want to transfer win10 pro upgrade license

I bought a new computer which came with windows 10 home to replace an old computer that came with windows 7 home which was upgraded to windows 7 pro and then the free upgrade to windows 10 pro.

I would like to transfer the win 10 pro license from old computer to upgrade new computer from win10 home to win10 pro. And then wipe old hard drive. Is this possible?

WilliamMann, Mar 29, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?

(probably explains why it feels slow)
    My main laptop has a lower spec CPU than your 'old' desktop and only 4GB RAM (see my specs below). It runs Windows 10 just fine. Doesn't feel slow (and I do a lot of 'photoshop' image processing and video editing on it). Your processor has a benchmark more than twice that of mine. See this comparison of out two CPUs...
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...B950/772vs1094

What exactly do you want to use the desktop for? Unless you are a Gamer it should be no problem, even without any upgrades.

As for buying 10, at the moment you probably won't need to pay. As recently as this month it has been reported that if you upgrade a licenced Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 it still gets activated with a digital license. Just download the install media by using the MCT to 'make media for another PC' and use it to upgrade the Desktop. As Win7 cannot mount an ISO file without 3rd-party help, I'd recommend making the USB install media.

Make an image of the current system first so you can easily go back to 7 if you wish, then try an upgrade. If nothing else, you will get a Windows 10 digital licence for this PC and can install 10 later at no cost. See these tutorials...

Upgrade to Windows 10

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Thema:

Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?

1. Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop? - Similar Threads - Upgrading Old Desktop

2. upgrade windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade windows 7: Hi I wanna upgrade all of 350th systems in company (that running windows 7) to windows 10 automatically without changing any data and application . do you have any solution for doing this in 1 or 2 weeks ? In addition I wanna upgrade all of microsoft office on the...
  3. Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10: I have a PC that came with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 when the upgrade was free. I now have a new PC that shipped with Win 10. On the new PC I will be installing Vmware so I have a virtual machine. How can I use the Win 7 license from the old PC (and then upgrade...
  4. My old desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    My old desktop: I got Windows 10 when it first came out, i had some updates a while ago and this morning it took for ever for my desktop to appear and when it did it was not my original desktop that i had before. How do i get my old desktop back????...
  5. Old desktop view

in Windows 10 Customization
    Old desktop view: I want my old desktop view how do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-desktop-view/6d4fd7a2-2c8c-4510-8608-b89e2b8008e2
  6. Windows 7 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 upgrade: I am currently using Windows Live 2012 for email in Windows 7. When I upgrade to Windows 10, will I need to re-setup and configure my email accounts, or will they be there? I have read that Windows Live 2012 is compatible with Windows 10, and would like to keep using it if...
  7. windows 7 old folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 7 old folder: I am using windows 10 and I want to uninstall windows 7 old folder. seems I don't permission. Please Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-old-folder/74bb01c6-1cce-41e4-b852-ea70360170da"
  8. upgrade to windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade to windows 7: YES! upgrade! windows 10 for gaming is bad,really really bad,need to go back to windows 7...any idead how i can get there? i am on a laptop and i havent got cd port and i dont want to burn any file...any simple method...i have windows 10 for a year now and i havent got...
  9. Old desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Old desktop icons: I did a complete Windows 10 reset on my desktop pc. It left the old icons still showing on it. When I right-click on the icons to delete them it acts as if it doesn't see the icons and goes to the drop down menu for 'view, sort by, refresh, new, display settings,...
  10. Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?: Just a question... i upgrade my windows ultimate and select to mantain file, documents, settings etc.. Now when i start windows 10 all my documents are present but no programs before installed, all are under windows.old / program.... So with this "upgrade" i must reinstall...