Windows 10: Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly

Discus and support Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got a PC stuck on 1511 and repeatedly failing to upgrade. I have other, part-for-part identical PCs on 1803 so I don't think there's any hardware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gohanman, Jul 20, 2018.

1. gohanman Win User

Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly

I've got a PC stuck on 1511 and repeatedly failing to upgrade. I have other, part-for-part identical PCs on 1803 so I don't think there's any hardware compatibility issue. At this point I'm trying to update to 1803 using the Upgrade Assistant.

This is the error that I'm seeing in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Panther\Sources\setupact.log:

SPUpgradeSecurity: error in SceSetupSystemByInfName processing upgrade template. Error: 0x800704B8

Unfortunately, while I was initially googling this error message Windows Update decided on its own to try doing the upgrade again and overwrote the content of both setupact.log and setuperr.log so I don't have any more detailed information about what was in those files from the previous upgrade attempt.

Any ideas what this error actually means or what I should be looking at?

:)

gohanman, Jul 20, 2018
  2. gohanman Win User

I've got a PC stuck on 1511 and repeatedly failing to upgrade. I have other, part-for-part identical PCs on 1803 so I don't think there's any hardware compatibility issue. At this point I'm trying to update to 1803 using the Upgrade Assistant.

This is the error that I'm seeing in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Panther\Sources\setupact.log:

SPUpgradeSecurity: error in SceSetupSystemByInfName processing upgrade template. Error: 0x800704B8

Unfortunately, while I was initially googling this error message Windows Update decided on its own to try doing the upgrade again and overwrote the content of both setupact.log and setuperr.log so I don't have any more detailed information about what was
    in those files from the previous upgrade attempt.

Any ideas what this error actually means or what I should be looking at?

gohanman, Oct 17, 2018
  3. windows backup is repeatedly failing

windows backup is repeatedly failing due to some spp and vss problem. show step by step how to clear the problem and continue backup

anjaneyamurthynarumanchi, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly

windows 1511 failed

Hi Princeton,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

If you not able to resolve the issues after trying the third method. Then I suggest you to try to updating to November update version 1511 through media creation tool.

Refer to the section: Using the media creation tool.

To upgrade to latest Windows 10 build 1511:

• Run the media creation tool.
    • If you’re upgrading the device that you downloaded the tool on, select
      Upgrade this PC now

-or
    • Select the language, edition and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.
    • If you chose Upgrade this PC, follow the steps in the tool to finish the upgrade to Latest Windows 10 build version 1511.
    Refer to the below Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly - Similar Threads - Upgrading 1511 Failing

2. upgrade from windows 10 1809 to 1909 fails repeatedly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from windows 10 1809 to 1909 fails repeatedly: Hi, I have tried to update multiple times with no success on my MSI laptop. I do not receive an error code. Sometimes I just get a message that the update failed, other times my machine stays on the MSI logo and does not finish booting up after the final restart....
  3. Upgrade from 1511 "Windows 10 installation has failed" Dism fails too

Upgrade from 1511 "Windows 10 installation has failed" Dism fails too: So I'm trying to upgrade this version of Windows 10 1511 build 10586.1176 and no matter whether I disable internet, delete the old $WINDOWS.~BT directory contents, or any other number of common solutions it continues to fail to upgrade. I've tried to use different versions,...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade From 1511 to 1803 or Higher Fails

Windows 10 Upgrade From 1511 to 1803 or Higher Fails: I've an older Toshiba Satellite L25-S121 laptop. The detailed spec sheet of this laptop can be found at https://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=1250428&isFromTOCLink=false The laptop came with Windows XP Pro 32-bit OS. I bought Windows 10 Home OS...
  5. Upgrade fails for win 10 1511 --- load from usb ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade fails for win 10 1511 --- load from usb ?: I have 1511 installed and hit the issue with a couple of updates not installing so I can't install the Anniversary and follow-on upgrades. Has anyone used the Media creation tool, downloaded the Win 10 Home/Pro x64 v.1607 to a USB stick, and then performed an in-place...
  6. Windows10 10586 / 1511 upgrade fails on boot.

Windows10 10586 / 1511 upgrade fails on boot.: Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what's going on, but I don't know which commands to run to fix. So, Windows 10 runs into issues during the reboot portion of the upgrade. I think it's that the windows boot manager believes it's in the first partition on disk, while it's actually on...
  7. WIN10 upgrade 1511 to 1607 fails. Error 0dx000009a

WIN10 upgrade 1511 to 1607 fails. Error 0dx000009a: I have installed WIN10 (ver. 1511) a couple of months ago. While trying to solve a driver issue I've been advised (by MICROSOFT) to upgrade to ver.1607. Several upgrade attempts all failed (with code 0xd000009a) What does it mean? Any more details needed? How can I resolve...
  8. Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators

Repeated update failure from 1511 to creators: Several times I have downloaded and installed CU. The installation goes well and after a little while I get the welcome screen and privacy settings, then CU is running perfectly, until I reboot. This is where the problem is, every time the usual start up screens appear then a...
  9. Update from 1511 to 1607 failing

Update from 1511 to 1607 failing: Win 10 Pro i7 desktop (upgraded from 8.1), 1511 working fine. Tried four times this week to go from 1511 to 1607 and failed four times. Well, actually the first time via USB setup it succeeded, but when a day later I needed to boot into Safe Mode, startup ran on and on (four...
  10. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1511 upgrade fails repeatedly