Windows 10: Upgrading From 7 Premium to 10

Discus and support Upgrading From 7 Premium to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good afternoon, I'm not sure if this has been posted or not as i didn't see anything on this. However, is there a way to upgrade from 7 home to 10? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cmmpro1, Mar 23, 2018.

1. cmmpro1 Win User

Upgrading From 7 Premium to 10

Good afternoon,
    I'm not sure if this has been posted or not as i didn't see anything on this. However, is there a way to upgrade from 7 home to 10? I think i saw some where on another site where I could do this at no cost. If so, will I lose any of the files I have now? (They're not important)

:)

cmmpro1, Mar 23, 2018
  2. skip3119 Win User

Windows 10 Professional. Is this copy legal? (kind cheap).

Upgrade from Win 7 (home premium) to Win 10 Professional

and

upgrade from Win 10 (home premium) to Win 10 Professional

Do they have different prices?

skip3119, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Upgrading to windows 10 from 7 home premium 64bit

Yes it will. Windows 10 Home 64 bit supports up to 128 GBs of RAM.

How many editions of Windows 10 are there?

Introducing Windows 10 Editions

As in the past, we will offer different Windows editions that are tailored for various device families and uses. These different editions address specific needs of our various customers, from consumers to small businesses to the largest enterprises.

• Windows 10 Home
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • Windows 10 Enterprise
    • Windows 10 Education
    • Windows 10 Mobile
    • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise
    • Windows 10 for IoT (Internet of Things)
    Learn more:

Introducing Windows 10 Editions - Windows Experience Blog

How much RAM does each edition of Windows 10 support?

Edition

Amount

Windows 10 Home 32 bit
    4 GBs

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    128 GBs

Windows 10 Pro 32 bit
    4 GBs

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    512 GBs

Windows 10 Enterprise/Education 32 bit
    4 GBs

Windows 10 Enterprise/Education 64 bit
    512 GBs

For a complete breakdown:

What
    are the editions of Windows 10 available?

Resource:
    How to know the Edition, Architecture, Channel and build of Windows 10 installed.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

There used to be 2 ways to get the free Upgrade, the original was with the GWX/Get Windows 10 but only good for a year and the other way I used a couple of times was for Assistive Technology. Last time I used the AT was in January, don't know if still available but the page would not open for me in early February.

An Upgrade can be done in 2 ways, either save your files or a clean install. And the edition had to be the same, Home Premium to Home or Pro to Pro for your Product Key to work.

Berton, Mar 23, 2018
  5. cmmpro1 Win User
    Thank you! I am going to look up the site now/

cmmpro1, Mar 23, 2018
  6. davidhk Win User
    About 3 weeks ago, member Ed Tittel told us that he could still upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 AND successfully activated.
    Instead of posting his thread, I am posting the link he gave us to his article which will explain the whole topic.

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...win10-2-27-18/

Excerpt:
    I just upgraded one of them from Windows 7 to 10. It’s an HP Pavilion Dv6 with a quad-core mobile CPU, 8 GB RAM, and a 128 GB SSD. This is the machine that tells me that Win7 still activates Win10 as of 2/27/18.

davidhk, Mar 23, 2018
  7. Barman58 Win User
    Because of the way that microsoft's licensing check systems operate it may be the case that the activation is rejected on the next check. I have heard of cases where a key was accepted at the install point but then rejected at a later date, Up to 60 days later.

Microsoft has stated that the free upgrade offer has ended, (or will end), at various times since the Windows 10 release only for the status quo to continue - this latest may be another non event but with the actual changes noted to the Assistive Technologies offer i could be that he offer has expired 1½ years later then planned.

Barman58, Mar 23, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

A straight forward upgrade using the install media downloaded from Microsoft still (or at least, did a month ago) gets a digital licence and activates.

Whether Microsoft will change its policy and deactivate these 'latecomers' is a moot point. Personally I think they won't - they seem to want as many as possible to be on 10. However, they may decide it's time to turn off this loophole. I suspect that's not a trivial task, it may be difficult to remove and still service reinstalls on systems that were upgraded in the official 'free' period. That may be why the Assistive Technology route took so long to be withdrawn (and then all they did was remove the links from the web page).

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest way to upgrade is with a Windows 10 USB flash drive. Go to Microsoft website:
    Download Windows 10
    Click the Download Tool Now button. Run the Media Creation Tool that it downloads. Select the option to create Create Installation Media for another PC. You'll need an 8GB or larger USB flash drive. Let the Media Creation Tool create the USB flash drive.

Once the flash drive is created, run setup.exe on it from within Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Mar 24, 2018
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

still working --needed a new W10 installation - used key from W7 ultimate (old technet key) those still work if you have them. !!!

You don't need to install or even activate Windows 7 first. Note though W10 will only work for the same type of W7 edition you had - e.g HOME-->HOME and PRO/ULTIMAT-->PRO.

Download the Ms media creation tool to get W10 image - for USB booting create iso and then use Rufus - enter your W7 key -- fine all working / activated.

For PRO users - add the ei.cfg to the sources folder to get install to prompt for edition - otherwise you might get HOME and have to go via that hideous store thing to get the FREE aupdate from HOME->PRO if you are licensed for PRO.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2018
  11. AddRAM Win User
    You must not have looked very hard, the upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10 has been going on for over 2 years.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading From 7 Premium to 10 - Similar Threads - Upgrading Premium

2. Upgraded from windows 7 Premium with service pack 1 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded from windows 7 Premium with service pack 1 to windows 10: Hi there, I upgraded my laptop yesterday from windows 7 Premium service pack 1 to windows 10.. All seemed fine until the desktop background disappeared, and a water mark appeared that "Windows is not active". I went to settings/Activation tab. I tried to put my Product key...
  3. Upgraded from windows 7 Premium with service pack 1 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded from windows 7 Premium with service pack 1 to windows 10: Hi there, I upgraded my laptop yesterday from windows 7 Premium service pack 1 to windows 10.. All seemed fine until the desktop background disappeared, and a water mark appeared that "Windows is not active". I went to settings/Activation tab. I tried to put my Product key...
  4. Upgraded from windows 7 Premium with service pack 1 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. upgrade mahjong premium

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade mahjong premium: upgrade mahjong to premium win 11 can click update option for monthly or yearly payment click pay yearly says try again. tried another 20 times no luck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mahjong-premium/eef439f4-8492-4f14-b8a3-5f4b64920235
  6. upgrade mahjong premium

upgrade mahjong premium: upgrade mahjong to premium win 11 can click update option for monthly or yearly payment click pay yearly says try again. tried another 20 times no luck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mahjong-premium/eef439f4-8492-4f14-b8a3-5f4b64920235
  7. How can I upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10?: I have tried to update my computer several times and I keep getting an error message. I've also tried going onto Microsoft to download the newest Windows version and no luck. What can I do in this situation?...
  8. How can I upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10?

How can I upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10?: I have tried to update my computer several times and I keep getting an error message. I've also tried going onto Microsoft to download the newest Windows version and no luck. What can I do in this situation?...
  9. How can I upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Local space is full so I upgraded my store to Microsoft premium but not synched

Local space is full so I upgraded my store to Microsoft premium but not synched: I've even tried to download OneDrive but no space. I need local space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-space-is-full-so-i-upgraded-my-store-to/89dc1757-2a1d-460f-82a5-cf476907dec2