Windows 10: Upgrading from 7 Pro using Techbench ISO - Product Key Required

Discus and support Upgrading from 7 Pro using Techbench ISO - Product Key Required in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to upgrade a desktop Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM, activated SP1, to Windows 10. I will have several machines to upgrade, and my fairly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Greybeard2016, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Upgrading from 7 Pro using Techbench ISO - Product Key Required

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a desktop Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM, activated SP1, to Windows 10.

I will have several machines to upgrade, and my fairly slow connection is capped except for overnight downloads, so I've downloaded the 64bit Techbench iso and burned it to DVD. It all looks fine and the sha1 of the iso is correct. I'm in the UK so am using the N version.

I ran setup.exe with Admin rights, selected language etc and was then asked for a product key. There was no skip button. I used MagicalJellyBean to find my key, which was the right length etc but wasn't accepted.

I tried booting from the DVD, and this time I did get a skip option, but after that was instructed to boot normally and run setup - which just went the same as before, key required and the one I have not accepted.

I have read of not getting a skip option if a Home DVD is used on a Pro installation. This can occur with the Media Creation Tool, but the TechBench iso has both Home and Pro. I think the problem may be that the installation is defaulting to Home, but there's no option to select Pro.

To recap, I definitely have a 64bit Pro installation, and am using the 64bit iso which included Home and Pro. I'm trying to do an initial upgrade, not a clean installation. If I can't get it to work I'll just have to try the online process, but an extra 3GB will put a big dent in my capped monthly download.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

:)

Greybeard2016, Dec 31, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

install windows 10 (free). help

If you have Windows XP on it now then you need to clean install, there is no upgrade route for XP.

If you download the latest ISO (and I believe you need to use the Techbench site) then you should create DVD or USB boot media from the ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
    If you are sure the hardware is only 32bit then be sure to get the 32bit version of Windows 10. If your Windows 7 key is Home then you will get Windows 10 Home, or Pro if it's Pro. When asked for
    a key insert your Windows 7 key.

neilpzz, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro ?

What if I have not installed my Windows 8 Pro ? I have my original box and Product Key. Presently I have Windows Home Premium 7 installed, bought 8 Pro about 18 months ago, will I still have to stall 8 Pro and then install 10 Pro ?

MarkRidgeway, Dec 31, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Upgrading from 7 Pro using Techbench ISO - Product Key Required

Are you upgrading from the N version of Windows 7?

From a footnote here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...specifications
    So I suspect that Windows 7 Pro (without N) might not upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (with N), and vice versa.

I'm not sure there's much advantage in the N versions though - as I understand it, it's forced on Microsoft by some EU ruling, but the only difference is that it doesn't contain Media Player and perhaps some other media components, but I find it much simpler to have the normal version and simply choose to use VLC Player or whatever. We certainly don't *have* to use N versions in the UK.

Also, have a look at this tutorial.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

DavidY, Dec 31, 2015
  5. Thanks, David. I don't remember the 'N' designation being applied to Windows 7, but my installation does include Media Player, so perhaps it is non-N, which is why it won't accept my key. I'll download the non-N tonight and give it a try.

Chris

Greybeard2016, Dec 31, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    You also need "English International" not "English" if your version is GB.

"English" is en-US, "International English" is en-GB and upgrade from US English to UK English (or any other locale) isn't possible.

Clean install OK is but not upgrade.

lx07, Jan 1, 2016
  7. Thanks, I selected International English in the install - but I will also check that my existing install is set to that - it was bought in GB, but always worth a check.

Greybeard2016, Jan 1, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Most uk versions are not the N versions as very few in uk bothered to use that version.

cereberus, Jan 1, 2016
  9. Thanks for your help. The plain Win10_1511_EnglishInternational_x64 iso worked fine (not even a prompt for the key), so it was my assumption that I should use N that caused the issue. The installer did warn me that my language settings would be changed and I'd need to install a new language pack - but this wasn't necessary, I did end up with UK English, so it looks like my original install version may have been US English. I'll mark the thread as solved.

Greybeard2016, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading from 7 Pro using Techbench ISO - Product Key Required - Similar Threads - Upgrading Pro using

2. Upgrading to Windows 11 pro with Windows 7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Windows 11 pro with Windows 7 product key: I recently have a clean install of windows 11 on my computer. I have one windows 7 home basic and one windows 7 professional product key. I tried activated it with the windows 7 pro key but it didn't work, while retry with the windows 7 home basic key did activate the...
  3. Upgrading to Windows 11 pro with Windows 7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading to Windows 11 pro with Windows 7 product key: I recently have a clean install of windows 11 on my computer. I have one windows 7 home basic and one windows 7 professional product key. I tried activated it with the windows 7 pro key but it didn't work, while retry with the windows 7 home basic key did activate the...
  4. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key: We purchased a new computer which included an OEM Product Key for Windows 10 Pro. Rather than install Windows and then copy all the data and apps from our old computer which had Windows 10 Home, we cloned the old hard-drive to the new PC. This means the new computer is...
  5. product key require using my product id

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    product key require using my product id: how can i redeem a product key for 3273587980450 this product id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-require-using-my-product-id/43b04a2c-481a-4f91-b36d-3632d2e9eb63
  6. Use Windows 10 Pro Product key to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use Windows 10 Pro Product key to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro: Can I use the Windows 10 Pro pak to upgrade from Windows 7 pro that is currently on my computer ? ***Modified title from: Can I use the Windows 10 Pro pak to upgrade from Windows 7 pro that is currently on my computer ?***...
  7. download windows 7 iso without product key

download windows 7 iso without product key: how can i download windows 7 without product key , beacuse i don't have .. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-windows-7-iso-without-product-key/5ee71ae9-3c94-43f1-af8d-a1fdab6e56db
  8. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key: GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and it was...
  9. Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft TechBench

Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft TechBench: For a clean install, I understand that we would have to use the MCT in order to get the ISO file from MS. However I found out that Microsoft offers these ISO's for download on the Microsoft Techbench Page. My internet connection isn't that stable, so this is more preferable...
  10. Download Windows 10 ISO from TechBench

Download Windows 10 ISO from TechBench: Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program When I look at the ISOs available there, I see this: [img] What does it mean when it says they are valid for both Home and Pro? Size of Home English X64 I just downloaded is 3,988,138KB which is larger than Home X86 or Pro...