Windows 10: Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 error 0xc0000005

Discus and support Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 error 0xc0000005 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok, to start out with, im not going to lie, im slightly ashamed to be using the upgrade for disability services but at the same time I already had the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thornton, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Thornton Win User

Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 error 0xc0000005

Ok, to start out with, im not going to lie, im slightly ashamed to be using the upgrade for disability services but at the same time I already had the free upgrade and will elaborate further in the text to come (excuse my punctuation, im dyslexic and punctuation is a sore point.)

I upgraded from windows 7 pro to windows 10 almost 2 years ago now when the upgrade was first made available free. Just day before yesterday I made some prety drastic upgrades to my computer. CPU, ram, MOBO, etc. Switched to the I7 7th gen from 5th gen, the list goes on. Windows immediately started acting up with BSODs and errors left and right. I figured maybe it was a licensing issue but that wasnt the problem. Checked my ram, CPU, Hard disk, nothing. I havent had a clean install of windows in a few years so I said F it and went ahead and attempted a reinstall of windows 10. After doing so I was BSODing on startup. I researched the problem and spent about 5 hours attempting to fix. I couldnt even get into safe mode. That said I popped the original windows 7 disk in and took it from there.

Windows 7 installed fine (but it took 3 tries before my SSD played nice with the install) it seemed everything worked. I grabbed the still available upgrade to windows 10 for disability services and attempted to upgrade after installing both before and after installing windows 7 updates but I am getting the same error each time saying could not complete upgrade, and the error code 0xc0000005.

Again I checked my new ram, my SSD, and adjusted my bios multiple times over and even reset my CMOS (some people say this has helped them) but nothing worked. I also tried going into CMD and checking the windows files and registry and everything seems in order. Ever since I made these upgrades with a 7700k and ddr4 ram ive been having problems. I dont think its the hardware tho because as I mentioned everything appears to be registering fine hardware wise.

Mostly I am trying to determine whether there is a fix in place that anyone could suggest that might help this upgrade move along or should I invest in a full win10 purchase, and if I do, do you suspect I will still run into problems. I called Microsoft support about this but it has been years since my last call and it seems now they have turned it into a paid service and I really have no desire to pay them for a problem that seems to be on their end as this seems OS related and not hardware related (though, I could be wrong.)

I truly appreciate your help and support,
    Strolia

:)

Thornton, Oct 12, 2017

2. will not complete upgrade on my windows 10. Error code : 0xC0000005

will not complete upgrade on my windows 10. Error code : 0xC0000005.

(sandyH0use), Oct 12, 2017
  3. 0xc0000005 error while upgrading to Windows 10

Original Title: 0xc0000005 error

when i try to upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 then my laptop show 0xc0000005 error after 100 % of downloading and about 40% installing.I try to reinstall it but problem remain same.

ArunGhonate, Oct 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Just to address one point..
    - that shouldn't be needed as you already have rights to Win 10 having had it installed.

That also means you should be able to clean install Win 10 again (no need to revert to Win 7 for that alone, or upgrade from Win 7).

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  5. Thornton Win User
    I attempted this but was BSODing on startup everytime. Once I got this resolved I had a problem where I was getting an error message (cant recall which one but it resulted in a boot loop, not allowing me even into safe mode)

My main reason for attempting the version of windows 10 upgrade still available is only because I already had it and am hoping to avoid paying for it since I already had the legitimate upgrade. However, I will if necessary but am first hoping to get some advice regarding this error code. Obviously this is a problem I am having in windows 7. I would hate to purchase a (third copy for third computer) copy of windows 10 simply to run into more problems. I know nobody can insure anything but if it is a belief that with the problems I am having now, that they could persist even as problems have persisted now, rolling back to windows 7 as I have now, then I would like to move with caution before spending the money and would value the opinions given.

Thornton, Oct 12, 2017
  6. Thornton Win User
    Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 error 0xc0000005 [​IMG]

Thornton, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Jimmyb Win User
    Have you got the W10 media on a USB, if so boot from the USB, pick clean install, delete the partition/drive you wish to install on (don't format leave unallocated) and off you go, if you have free upgrade, it remains with you, so you can activate at the end. If you have an old W10 media just down load the new media, it still works for free!

Jimmyb, Oct 12, 2017
  8. Thornton Win User

Oh ok, so similar to how you update your activation for windows after major hardware changes, I would just login after the clean install of windows 10 and it should update my licenses?

Do you believe this would have any impact on my problems? I mean, I passed the disk test, the ram test, my bios is all in order, so really theres nothing to go on hardware wise, but im still kinda curious. I mean, worst case scenario I doubt I would have any problems worse than the ones im already facing but of course, in a perfect world, which this most definitely isnt, everything is working as it should and im not having problems with errors around every turn.

Thornton, Oct 12, 2017
  9. hawkman Win User
    Hi Thornton,

With all of the new components, have you actually got them up to date driver wise, that includes the Bios.
    The exception code basically comes back as an access violation, but could easily refer to an incompatible driver.
    The setupapi log should confirm .

And the really silly question are you dual booting, (grub/bcd)??

Roy

hawkman, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Thornton Win User
    I ran the driver disk that came with the new mother board and am not dual booting on this machine. I have not checked if the bios is up to date but I can definitely try that to see if that makes a difference. I will post back when I have later tonight as I have not yet slept and it is almost 11am here but in the mean time if anyone else has any thoughts im interested in taking a listen (so to speak). Definitely curious because everything was working and even outside the case I cant pinpoint what the issue is. Initially I thought it was display drivers but even after running only the onboard dvi out and no drivers I stll had problems.

anyway, thank you all and I appreciate all the great help this forums members continue to provide!

Thornton, Oct 12, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Make sure you clean install Win 10; don't upgrade from '7

Let Windows handle all your drivers and see what happens. Only if it is shown there's a driver problem (and there can be, exceptionally) should you need to take special action.

If you then have a BSOD please refer that to the BSOD section of this forum, following the guidelines as to how to submit such a post properly with the information required.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  12. Thornton Win User
    OK so I started a clean install, but while windows 10 is booting off the media I get some message along the lines of, windows could not find the drivers necessary to continue, then if I press ok it restarts. Then, when going back to windows 7 there was an error loading windows 7 at first, 0xc000000f

edit: The exact text says Windows Setup could not install one or more critical boot drivers, make sure the drivers are up to date...

Thornton, Oct 13, 2017
  13. axe0 New Member

What are the parts you have upgraded your system with?

Do you mean booting off the media from the very first boot, before the license agreement?

It all sounds to me like either a bad drive or bad RAM. How did you test all parts?

14. Thornton Win User
    I actually just now seem to have gotten it working...... onto problem B, which is the NVidia drivers released on october 9th are leading to only a black screen and then the error code 0xc000000f so I will move that to another section if I dont get it resolved on my own by trying an earlier version of the graphics driver

Thornton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 error 0xc0000005 - Similar Threads - Upgrading error 0xc0000005

2. Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 ?: I want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I know it is too late for free upgrade. How do I do this ? Where do I purchase ? Is there certain requirements ?...
  3. upgraded from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    upgraded from Windows 7 to 10: Just upgraded today and I'm amazed at how slow the startup is.. Did some research and saw advice to run 'crapifier.exe' But when I try to run it I just get "application error". Also my searches 'decrapifier Application Error' gets no results. Seems odd. Can anyone suggest a...
  4. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 errors: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the Microsoft upgrade via the web site and wished I never did. I have had nothing but problems ever since. Some files do not show correctly and only show rows and rows of coding, others do not show in full screen, etc....
  5. Upgrading From Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading From Windows 7 to 10: I am wondering if the media creation tool is the easiest way to upgrading from windows 7 to 10 remotely? Is there an easy way to mass upgrade everyone on the network without them losing data? Is MDT easier? If using MCT do you have to baby it in an admin account so the user...
  6. Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Error

Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Error: I've tried to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate 6 times, and every time I get this error: "We couldn't install Windows 10 We've set your PC back to the way it was before you started installing Windows 10 0x800F0955 - 0x20003 The Installation failed in SAFE_OS...
  7. Error upgrading to preview 18317 from 18290 with error 0xc0000005

Error upgrading to preview 18317 from 18290 with error 0xc0000005: Hi, I've tried to upgrade multiple times and always get this error. I have tried the "net stop/start such and such" CMD fix but that doesn't seem to fix it. It happens after I set to use an external storage drive for extra storage space if that is any help. I've looked...
  8. Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Error

Upgrade From Windows 7 to Windows 10 Error: I've tried to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate 6 times, and every time I get this error: "We couldn't install Windows 10 We've set your PC back to the way it was before you started installing Windows 10 0x800F0955 - 0x20003 The Installation...
  9. Windows 10 (0xc0000005) error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 (0xc0000005) error: For about a week now I couldn't open any applications on Windows 10 due to the error "The application was unable to start correctly(0xc0000005)." Basic Windows apps like Task Manager, Cortana, PowerShell, etc, even the Start menu, also doesn't work, although the error message...
  10. Upgrade from windows 7 Error

Upgrade from windows 7 Error: Hi all I have a Dell Optiplex 3020. It had Windows 7 Pro on it before I upgraded to Windows 10 The upgrade seemed to go OK and I could boot once after the upgrade. But then the system crashed with the screen flashing. I rebooted and I get a message Automatic Repair. Your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0xc0000005 win7

2. windows 7 to 10 inplace upgrade diskpart error 0x000005