Windows 10: Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10

Discus and support Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry for the question if is quite simple but I am unsure. Currently I am running Windows 7 Ultimate yet my copy can't be validated as I have no key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheCaligula, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10

Sorry for the question if is quite simple but I am unsure. Currently I am running Windows 7 Ultimate yet my copy can't be validated as I have no key. If I was to purchase a copy of Windows 10 would I be able to keep my files during the upgrade or would a fresh install be required?

:)

TheCaligula, Jul 28, 2015

2. Trouble with upgrading to windows 10

I'm currently using an unvalidated version of windows 8.1, No I'm not a pirate, I used the disk version that I borrowed from my friend and he had already redeemed the activation code on three of his devices so it didn't work for me. I do have a windows
    7 Home premium key from a old laptop, why can't I use this windows 7 key to upgrade to windows 10? would I have to downgrade to windows 7 then upgrade to 10?

SamMorris42, Jul 28, 2015
  3. rouleau0 Win User
    How do I upgrade Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with a Win 7 Ultimate product key?

I upgraded from Windows 7 home to Windows 10. Later, while cleaning out my IT room I found an unused copy of Windows 7 Ultimate sealed in the box. I know that if I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate, I get Windows 10 Pro rather than Windows
    10 Home.

So... I went to Settings/Update & Security/Activation and changed the product key. The Windows 7 Ultimate key was refused.

Which leads me to my question, "How do I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home using a Windows 7 Ultimate product key _without_ reformatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate"?

rouleau0, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10

Hello Caligula, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

If you purchase a Windows 10 that is the same edition you have install, then you'll be able to change the key for your installed Windows to the key that you purchased to activate it.

Product Key - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  5. mrplt Win User
    Your files won't be deleted, as you'll be able to enter the key after you did the upgrade process.

mrplt, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10

1. Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate Unvalidated to 10 - Similar Threads - Upgrading Ultimate Unvalidated

2. Upgrade free windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade free windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10: Hello i met a problem installing windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate and i can't find the answer. The error is "error installing windows 10", i am searching in google and i dont find what i need. I really need to keep personal files and apps...
  3. Upgrade free windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade free windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10: Hello i met a problem installing windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate and i can't find the answer. The error is "error installing windows 10", i am searching in google and i dont find what i need. I really need to keep personal files and apps...
  4. Upgrade from Window 7 Ultimate to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Window 7 Ultimate to Windows 10: Hi, This is Rolf Schreiner at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, on December 14, 2020. I have a problem installing Wildows 10 on Windows 7 Ultimate. I worked about one week it, but now I need some help, please. I tried all the published fixes on the internet,...
  5. Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Upgrade?: Just wondering if you can still use a Windows 7 KEY with a fresh install of windows 10? I have done this in 2016 and the upgrade worked fine right before the install of Windows 10 when it asked for a key. So just wondering if you an still use the Windows 7 key? And will have...
  6. WIn 10 upgrade from 7 ultimate, partition error ??

WIn 10 upgrade from 7 ultimate, partition error ??: Just tried upgrading from the microsoft download page yet get the following error... "This PC can't run windows 10 - We couldn't update the system reserved partition" Around 96gb free on the m2 ssd, what's the score here ?. Used Macrium Reflect (uninstalled) to copy this...
  7. want to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate

want to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate: Good evening team microsoft before asking an question let me show my pc specs.just posted an screenshot of my computer properties please see that and tell me should I upgrade my pc win7 to win10 and my GPU is nvidia GT 710 and cpu gen it says 5series/3400 series chipset...
  8. Upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro: Seems like a simple question - just bought Windows 10 Pro on a USB. When I boot up my computer to the USB drive to install Windows 10 it does not give me the option to upgrade - seems like it is going to do a clean install. When does the option menu come up for "clean...
  9. upgrade from windows 7 ultimate

upgrade from windows 7 ultimate: I upgraded my laptop with 8.1 to 10 and I ended up with all programs recognized and working. Hard to believe. All I did after the upgrade is download and install English (US) package to change interface language. Will it be the same when upgrading from windows 7 ultimate?...
  10. Can I upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate?

Can I upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 ultimate?: Because i've heard that if you have ultimate you will get pro edition. But it says I need sp1. So do I actually need sp1 or I can just upgrade from ultimate to pro? 61120