Windows 10: Upgrading from XP to Windows 10 and reinstalling Folder Marker Pro.

Discus and support Upgrading from XP to Windows 10 and reinstalling Folder Marker Pro. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My computer's motherboard was damaged by and electrical surge. I use Folder Marker Pro to add more colors and icons to differentiate the folders. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CheckMarc, Dec 22, 2016.

1. CheckMarc Win User

Upgrading from XP to Windows 10 and reinstalling Folder Marker Pro.

My computer's motherboard was damaged by and electrical surge. I use Folder Marker Pro to add more colors and icons to differentiate the folders. The folders I used Folder Marker Pro on aren't showing any of the colors or icons in the new install of 10. The ones that I marked distributable are working fine. I installed the free version to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't.

The ini files in XP reference:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    IconFile=C:\Documents and Settings\Marc\Application Data\ArcticLine\Folder Marker\icl\Colors.icl
    IconIndex=31

The ini in 10:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    IconFile=%FOLDER_MARKER_DIR%\icl\Colors.icl
    IconIndex=1

"C:\Documents and Settings\Marc\Application Data\ArcticLine\Folder Marker\icl\Colors.icl" for all intents and purposes, this doesn't exist in 10. I did try copying that folder over to the new installs "C:\Documents and Settings" but it didn't help.

How do I fix the problem? I've contacted their tech support but there's definitely a language barrier problem.

:)

CheckMarc, Dec 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 Sharing

I have a shared folder on Window 10 Pro pc.

Is there any way to access this folder from a Windows Xp pc?

kdimopoulos, Dec 22, 2016
  3. Ardon1 Win User
    Does Windows 10 pro have XP legacy program running capability?

I have windows 7 Home 64 Bit which I love. I was going to upgrade to windows 7 pro 64 bit to get the ability to run XP legacy progams. ( I have a few old XP programs that I NEED to run). Should I wait to upgrade to Windows 10 Home and then upgrade
    from there to Windows 10 pro? Does windows 10 pro have the ability to run XP legacy program?

Ardon1, Dec 22, 2016
  4. Upgrading from XP to Windows 10 and reinstalling Folder Marker Pro.

I have the free version installed on my Win 10 pro system and it seems to work as advertised. Could you please explain what you meant by "the ones I marked as Distributable" ? I couldn't find anything in their help files ?

UPDATE - I did find what Distributable means, but it seems its only available in the Pro version.

storageman, Dec 22, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    @CheckMarc,
    The folder C:\Documents and Settings\<your_username>\Application Data that XP used got moved in later versions. In 10 this is now C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData.

The %FOLDER_MARKER_DIR% refers to an environment variable. Open a command prompt and type SET to see the full list, or type SET FOLDER_MARKER_DIR to see just that one. There is another environment variable called APPDATA. Typing SET APPDATA returns the value APPDATA=C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming - this is where your 'ArcticLine\...' folders should be found now (assuming the Setup worked properly).

No, it won't. It should be:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Marc\AppData\Roaming\ArcticLine\Folder Marker\icl\Colors.icl

If you don't find your Colours.icl there, do a search in File Manager to see where it ended up. You may need to manually set up the folders under AppData yourself, and/or add the FOLDER_MARKER_DIR environment variable (use Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System - Advanced system settings).

6. CheckMarc Win User
    It's there "C:\Users\Marc\AppData\Roaming\ArcticLine" but how do I get the colors and icons that are referencing the other to work?

CheckMarc, Dec 22, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    First, open a command prompt and type SET FOLDER_MARKER_DIR to see if the environment variable is set up correctly. If it is, what version of Folder Marker Pro are you trying to reinstall? You said you had previously used it in XP so it may be an older one. Apparently Vista support came in with version 3.0.0.1 and Windows 8 in 4.0. The current version is 4.2 which say it supports 10.
    A new major version of Folder Marker and Special Offer for you!

8. CheckMarc Win User

It's the correct version 4.2.0.0. It references the Folder Marker folder in Program Files.

CheckMarc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading from XP to Windows 10 and reinstalling Folder Marker Pro. - Similar Threads - Upgrading reinstalling Folder

2. Folder markers Windows improvement?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder markers Windows improvement?: A visual capability to indicate whether folders are empty or not would be greatly appreciated.Besides having to look up the folder size, if there was a visual indicator like with Cloud folders that indicate whether the folder is synced or not it would make our company's file...
  3. Folder markers Windows improvement?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder markers Windows improvement?: A visual capability to indicate whether folders are empty or not would be greatly appreciated.Besides having to look up the folder size, if there was a visual indicator like with Cloud folders that indicate whether the folder is synced or not it would make our company's file...
  4. Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10

Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10: Dear Admin, Good day to you, please I need your help to upgrade a Windows XP to Windows 10, this system has Windows XP installed long ago because it is still used to program PLC’s now to OS keep showing blue-screen on bootup, please there are backup’s and licenses of the...
  5. Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10: Dear Admin, Good day to you, please I need your help to upgrade a Windows XP to Windows 10, this system has Windows XP installed long ago because it is still used to program PLC’s now to OS keep showing blue-screen on bootup, please there are backup’s and licenses of the...
  6. Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Upgrade from XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from XP to Windows 10: I have an HP Media Center PC m7680n running XP. After an IE8 upgrade I lost internet connectivity and cannot recover. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and ordered a USB. When I try to run the setup.exe from USB I get "setup.exe is not a valid win32 application" Whether I...
  8. Upgrade from XP to Windows 10

Upgrade from XP to Windows 10: I have an HP Media Center PC m7680n running XP. After an IE8 upgrade I lost internet connectivity and cannot recover. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and ordered a USB. When I try to run the setup.exe from USB I get "setup.exe is not a valid win32 application" Whether I...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade from WIndows XP

Windows 10 upgrade from WIndows XP: i had windows XP with 32bit. I backed up my computer. I then upgraded to windows 10 which also changed my 32bit to 64bit. I of course had to erase everything on my computer. Can I now recover my files from by back up which is saved on my external hard drive?...
  10. Upgrade from Windows XP

Upgrade from Windows XP: I downloaded the iso image for the 32bit version and burned into a DVD. When I boot from the DVD I get the nice Windows 10 blue screen that lasts for 2 minutes or so and then the screen goes away and the computer tries to reboot again. Tried several times with the same...