Windows 10: Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key

Discus and support Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm curious, I might have to try this on an extra partition... My computer is fully activated on Pro version. I've also done a clean install after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NavyLCDR, Oct 7, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key

I'm curious, I might have to try this on an extra partition...

My computer is fully activated on Pro version. I've also done a clean install after the upgrade and activated immediately just fine.

So, let's say I bungled and clean installed Windows 10 Home by mistake. Of course it wouldn't activate. So, would I be able to enter the generic Pro product key in the change product key/upgrade screen and have it upgrade to Pro and activate since my computer has the activation for Pro saved on Microsoft servers?

I'm thinking not a snowball's chance in Phoenix that it would work. Other people here have discovered they have done clean installs with the wrong version - just wondering if there is a way to convert/upgrade the wrong version to the correct version without a new clean install.

:)

NavyLCDR, Oct 7, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

How i can restore my previous product key

Can’t guarantee this will work but as you have a genuine key for Pro you could try entering the generic key to see if it’ll activate.

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

http://www.intowindows.com/generic-product-key-...

If this doesn’t work then it’ll require a clean install imo.

Time Lady, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Resetting Windows 10

I upgraded to Windows 10 pro from home (in my case a windows 8.1 pro key) & I eventually did a clean install but the USB install media installed home so I had to re-enter the pro upgrade key.

I did this:

Create a PID.txt file containing the following text:

[PID]

Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The Xs get replaced with your Windows 10 Pro product key. If your Windows 10 Pro activation is with a digital license, then insert the generic product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Save the PID.txt file to the \Sources folder on your Windows 10 installation media (USB flash drive).

Windows 10 decides which version (Home or Pro) to install in the following order:

1. Finding a product key in the PID.txt file

2. Finding a product key in UEFI/BIOS

3. The user manually enters a product key when asked for one

4. No product key is found or entered - then the user is asked for Home or Pro

I can now clean install Win 10 pro directly.

Time Lady, Oct 7, 2015
  4. Paultcha Win User

Hi don't know if this will be of any help, but I have two laptops with windows 10. Having upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1. I used the program I found on this site to find out what the keys were after the upgrade. When I input the key from the Windows Pro to the Windows home version it upgraded it to the Pro version.

On a separate note when I input the Home version key to the Windows Pro machine (originally 7) it tells me the it can't upgrade with this key. So it seems that you can only upgrade with the generic codes, but not downgrade a machine. Admittedly with both machines I upgraded and didn't do a clean install.

Hope this is of some help.

P

Paultcha, Oct 8, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Experiment completed. Laptop started with Windows 8 Pro upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Installed Windows 7 Home on second partition, set up dual booting. Upgraded 7 Home to 10 Home. Everything activated and runs just fine. Entered the generic key from Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home upgraded to Pro. Now, I don't know what would have happened if Pro had not been activated on this computer before. Then clean installed Home. So, now I am dual booting between Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key :). Question answered: you can have a Home and Pro activation for the same computer stored on MS activation servers at the same time.

So, the only question is, if you have a Windows 10 Home system that has never had Pro on it before, what happens when you enter the generic Windows 10 Pro key into the Home version?

Oh, forgot to add that after I upgraded Windows 10 Home to Pro using the Pro generic key, I reverted back to Windows 7 Home from Windows 10 Pro using the revert option of Windows 10 which remained in place after the upgrade to Pro from Home.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Logic says it shouldn't activate, otherwise everybody running Home would get a free pass to Pro. The generic Pro key is listed online, even here on this forum. Your Digital Entitlement stored on the activation server is for Home not Pro. As far as I know anyway. All my PC's are already running Pro so I can't actually test it.

alphanumeric, Oct 9, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    That would be what I would guess too and all my PCs are running Pro too, except for my daughter's. And I don't want to end up with a non-activated Windows 10 on it. She's got a gigabyte of photos and songs on it - and I mean number of files, not file size!

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  8. Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key

Yeah, if it upgrades then fails activation that's not good. Unless rollback will get you back to Home? I wouldn't want to find out it won't, the hard way. I'm sending you a PM on another related manner.

alphanumeric, Oct 9, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I did not look for a way to rollback the upgrade to Pro. When I went to the standard location to revert back to previous OS, it took me back to Windows 7 - not back to Windows 10 Home.

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2015
  10. I don't think it can, the Home To Pro upgrade is like the Windows 8 add features, its a one way trip with no way back. Other than a reinstall. The 7 to 10 creates the Windows.old used for the rollback. I don't think the Home to pro upgrade does that.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading Home install to Pro with generic product key - Similar Threads - Upgrading Home install

2. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with product key: Hi! This is my first post and I am still a somewhat beginner with Windows. I am a student attempting to upgrade my laptop (which came with Windows 10 Home) to Windows 10 Pro (I was following information on how to use Xamarin and it recommended enabling Hyper-v for the...
  3. Generic product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Generic product key?: I am installing an SSD for a friend on a working PC with an old patter drive that is super slow. I used a product key finder and got VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM- 9MPGT-3V66T product key finder says this is OEM and I need a digital license for activation. This PC is licensed already....
  4. generic product key

generic product key: anyone have generic product key for windows 10 home single language version 2004? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-product-key/43a2179d-fa3b-4314-b60c-34057fefb104
  5. Upgrade pre-installed Home to Pro without a key

Upgrade pre-installed Home to Pro without a key: Hello - I have a pre-installed Home version which I am looking to upgrade to a Pro version. I already have a key bought from elsewhere but the system does not take the key when I enter it as it is the key for a pro version. I would thus like to be able to install the Pro...
  6. Windows 10 Home upgrade to W10 Pro with a product key fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home upgrade to W10 Pro with a product key fails: Hello Community. I have a new Dell XPS15 64bit with W10 Home. My old laptop has a goosed display and I have located from its hard drive the Key from my W10 Pro. But when I try to upgrade my Dell XPS15 using the Product key from my old laptop W10 Pro the process fails to...
  7. Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key: Hi all - I'm attempting to upgrade a Dell W10 Home, x64 Laptop to W10 Pro, x64. Using a couple of what I was told were legit keys, I receive this error after W10 accepts the key... [img] Activation software problem? Any help appreciated. Thanks, EN *Think 118849
  8. Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro: A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon. No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back...
  9. Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic: I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and my installation key is the generic Windows 10 key. Windows 10 is now activated and it is not an Insider system. What the heck is going on here? Did anyone get a real key or are they not going to be used any...
  10. Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions: How to: Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions List of Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions Generic keys (aka: "default keys") for Windows 10 from Microsoft will allow you to install a specific Windows 10 edition you want, but will not...