Windows 10: Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop

Discus and support Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 pro on both desktop and laptop. The laptop upgrades every few days but the desktop never does. What's going on. 61764 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dunkinidaho, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop

Windows 10 pro on both desktop and laptop. The laptop upgrades every few days but the desktop never does. What's going on.

:)

dunkinidaho, Aug 27, 2016

2. Windows 10 license transfer

I have a desktop with Windows 10 pro (upgraded from Windows 8.1 pro retail). And I will buy new laptop. Can I transfer Windows license from desktop to laptop? I will delete Windows 10 from desktop and try to activate Windows 10 with 8.1 product key (used
    for desktop Windows 10 upgrade) in laptop. Is it possible? Microsoft account activation didn't allow it.

Lehigh River, Aug 27, 2016
  3. pepe731 Win User
    Is it possible to switch Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro?

I have a desktop with 10 Home and a laptop with 10 Pro but I would like it the other way.

Can I "downgrade" the laptop from 10 Pro to 10 Home and "upgrade" the desktop from 10 Home to 10 Pro without buying the upgrade?

pepe731, Aug 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop

Which upgrades/updates do you mean?

Scheduled updates to universal apps (frequent)
    Windows updates
    AV updates
    Some other updates

Thanks!

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  5. It appears to be the so called anniversary upgrade. I found a thread on this subject that I'll look into this morning.

6. dalchina New Member
    The safest approach for the anniversary upgrade- which is as is widely reported- giving significant problems to some users- is
    a. to create a full disk image of your existing system (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) )
    b. download and create a bootable medium for the upgrade
    c. do the update manually rather than letting it simply download

A number report the update doesn't complete and rolls back, so if you download it once like that, you can retry without downloading it again.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  7. Thanks for the information. I just might leave the desktop as it is and not do any upgrades. I have sensitive data on it that I can't risk compromising.

8. dalchina New Member

If you have Pro (e.g.) you can defer the upgrade in Settings.. otherwise you should block updates.
    See Tutorial section for more on that e.g.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading inequalities from desktop to laptop - Similar Threads - Upgrading inequalities desktop

2. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop: My laptop is windows 10/with 4 gig mem not upgradable. The upgrade says I can go to windows 11 for free if I chose. My desktop just upgraded to 32 gig mem, with two trig hardrives. The desktop says I cant upgrade to windows 11 cause of hardware issues. Has a I5 processor and...
  3. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop: My laptop is windows 10/with 4 gig mem not upgradable. The upgrade says I can go to windows 11 for free if I chose. My desktop just upgraded to 32 gig mem, with two trig hardrives. The desktop says I cant upgrade to windows 11 cause of hardware issues. Has a I5 processor and...
  4. Cant upgrade my desktop but can upgrade my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows From Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows From Laptop to Desktop: My friend is looking to upgrade from a Laptop to a self built Desktop PC. They have windows 10 that came with the laptop, would they need to buy Win 10 for the Desktop or could the license be transferred from the Laptop to the desktop?...
  6. Windows From Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows From Laptop to Desktop: My friend is looking to upgrade from a Laptop to a self built Desktop PC. They have windows 10 that came with the laptop, would they need to buy Win 10 for the Desktop or could the license be transferred from the Laptop to the desktop?...
  7. Windows From Laptop to Desktop

8. Apps Connected from Laptop to Desktop

Apps Connected from Laptop to Desktop: I recently brought a new Desktop and wanted to port the apps from my old laptop to my new desktop. But the problem, is that if I try deleting any apps from my laptop, the Desktop version will also be deleted. Another issue is that when I download something new on my desktop,...
  9. SSD from Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD from Laptop to Desktop: Hello, so my question is how do I change all the registry keys when transferring a SSD from a laptop to a desktop. So recently built a computer to save the $110 it would cost me for a new operating system key I pulled the SSD out of my laptop and used it as the main drive on...
  10. Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect laptop and desktop after upgrade: I have some desktop computers connected to a router via lan cables and these can see each other. My laptop is connected to the same router via wifi but this does not connect. When homegroup existed the homegroup was called "HOME1" and the network that the desktops are on is...