Windows 10: Upgrading new processor

Discus and support Upgrading new processor in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Forum. Its time for me to upgrade my processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor since the current one in my system is from 2008. It's almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by graphomet, Apr 4, 2017.

1. graphomet Win User

Upgrading new processor

Hello Forum.

Its time for me to upgrade my processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor since the current one in my system is from 2008. It's almost a decade, and I'm quite happy with it, but now I need to upgrade it, since Im looking to do music recording, as I have bumped my RAM to 16GB and will be boosting to 32GB soon.

I'm looking at the $500 margin, so I'd like for some advice, what the most appropriate CPU would be if not an excellent performance, but at least worth the $500.

Thank you.

:)

graphomet, Apr 4, 2017

2. Do I need Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home as I am upgrading to Dual Processor.

Hello all:

I am planning on upgrading to a new desktop that will have dual processors - my current license however is for Windows 8. I will use the Windows store to upgrade to 8.1.

I understand that 8.1 will not recognize the second processor, however, upon the upgrade to Windows 10 Home - will that allow dual processor or will I have to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks,

PurpleandGold, Apr 4, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    If i install a new cpu is that considored a "significant" change to my hardware.

Yes, changing the processor or motherboard will remove your activation, so you'll need to buy a license.

I'm not going to defend Microsoft's policy, but I will say that for many if not most, a processor upgrade will also include a motherboard upgrade. Considering the cost of a new CPU and motherboard vs. the cost of a new computer, you may as well buy the new
    computer.

BulldogXX, Apr 4, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Upgrading new processor

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

For recording MUSIC you don't necessarily need a fast processor -- VIDEO though is another matter - so don't waste your money on a huge powerful processor -- IMO with a MOBO from 2008 you might be better off with a new machine with an SSD for the OS and DECENT FAST SATA HDD's plus of course a lot of RAM will help for recording.

There are some excellent bargains around on new computers etc -- even "Roll your own" - most computers don't need complex tools or engineering skills to fit them together.

Decent video also supporting large screens is also a great idea with modern computers --if you are editing sounds etc then a large screen is very helpful - preferably 2 !!! --

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2017
  6. bobkn Win User
    Do you literally mean just the CPU, or are you considering a new motherboard as well? (you might also need new RAM, if you go for the latest CPUs that need DDR4.)

I'm not sure whether any of the processors on the list linked by WOT would be a worthwhile upgrade. (Maybe, if your software can exploit 6 cores rather than the 4 you have now.)

If you don't require an AMD system, you could buy an Intel Kaby Lake CPU (like an i5-7600k), Z270 motherboard, and 16GB of DDR4 for less than $500.

bobkn, Apr 4, 2017
  7. graphomet Win User
    Hi BobKn.

I'm considering for the time being just the CPU. I have also just ordered another 16 GB of Hyperx Rams, so I wont be changing
    the motherboard any time sooner.

Also I saw that before installing a new CPU it requires my motherboard to be up to date, but Asrock has a notice, We don't recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally

So would this affect my system if I take out the old and replace it with a compatible new CPU one?

That Intel kaby lake,Intel Core i7 7700K $462.00 sure does look it'll increase performance.

graphomet, Apr 5, 2017
  8. bobkn Win User

Upgrading new processor

Manufacturers usually recommend that you not update the BIOS unless you need to, because there is a small chance that the update could fail and make the system unable to boot. (That's known as "bricking" the motherboard.)

If you want to upgrade the CPU, you have to make sure that the BIOS version is new enough to support the new CPU. (It'll continue to support the old one.)

I'm worried by your comment about the I7-7700K. You understand that it is completely physically incompatible with your motherboard, right?

The newest CPU on the compatibility list is from 2010.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2017
  9. graphomet Win User
    I meant that the I7-7700K because of its capabilities as CPU it would increase performance, not necessarily meaning it'll be compatible with my motherboard. I think I wasted my money upgrading on my RAM, and fans, graphics card. I think I should have started to built a new PC, And now Im going backwards...

graphomet, Apr 5, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The RAM might work in new Mobo - don't throw it away before testing.

Computer performance is based on many things not just CPU power -- if for example you've got SLOW especially old IDE (the non SATA type of HDD's with the thick ribbon like connectors) then any amount of processor upgrade will still leave the machine running about the speed of pouring thick molasses out of a watering can with tiny holes in the spout.

So many times I've seen people complain about computer performance and spend oodles of dosh on everything except the thing that really matters usually most of all --decent HDD's.

Remember back a few years ago how even on a slow laptop for example you could speed it up dramatically just by fitting an SSD.

Have decent RAM and graphics and most processors will be MORE than sufficient for typical loads - even older i3 processors. An i7 is really (currently) only of mega use to extreme gamers, and intensive applications like A.I modelling / simulation / Virtual reality and things like that.

Good compromise for power and price are the i5 processors. (If your Mobo supports it a dual XEON processor also has a load of throughput - especially as it has hyperthreading - you can pick one of these (a dual one) reasonably cheaply -- E3 or E2 range here).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2017
  11. graphomet Win User
    Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate the time and info you gave me. So for the time being I'll leave my CPU as is. And hopefully
    by the end of the year, Ill build a new PC with much recent tech specs, and have better performance with my system.

Kind regards.

graphomet, Apr 5, 2017
  12. WOT
    WOT Win User
    @graphomet: I really think you should test your ability to successfully record music with what you have right now. I would also encourage you to contact this forum member (fireberd) and ask what you could do to improve the recording environment of your current rig because he has his own recording studio and he knows his stuff. Tell him exactly what you are looking to do and he will tell you what you need.

Good luck,

13. felgate11 Win User

Upgrading new processor

Hi there mate. If you were to upgrade your processor. maybe. You'll upgrade your motherboard first to avail the new gen processors. And speaking of which. Well, I still prefer using AMDs. Because I have lots of PCs that are Intel are dead. While my AMDs are still alive up to this days. I've been using AMD since 2005 and my PCs/Laptops with those AMD processors are still alive until now. *Biggrin

felgate11, Apr 6, 2017
  14. graphomet Win User
    Hi felgate.

yes, I wont be upgrading my CPU after all as mentioned before. So I'll be leaving my PC as is for the time being. And within the
    year building a new PC system upto date. And AMDs seems worth the money.

Kind regards.

graphomet, Apr 6, 2017
  15. WOT
    WOT Win User
    @graphomet: TY for the acknowledgement.

Can you please mark this thread as solved if you feel your issue has been resolved?

Cheers,

Thema:

Upgrading new processor

1. Upgrading new processor - Similar Threads - Upgrading processor

2. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  3. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...: Currently Windows 10, Health check says processor not compatible, enough space and speed. When trying to upgrade 365 is provided, should I be upgrading to that or Windows 11?...
  4. currently Windows 10, PC health check says processor problem, should I upgrade to Windows...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 Upgrade Processor Requirements

Windows 11 Upgrade Processor Requirements: I run Windows 10 on my desktop PC. My processor is an IntelR CoreTM i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, but it is not on the list of acceptable processors for Windows 11. I should like to know why this processor does not meet the Windows 11 requirements as, having read the published...
  6. Windows 11 Upgrade Processor Requirements

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 Upgrade Processor Requirements: I run Windows 10 on my desktop PC. My processor is an IntelR CoreTM i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, but it is not on the list of acceptable processors for Windows 11. I should like to know why this processor does not meet the Windows 11 requirements as, having read the published...
  7. Windows 11 Upgrade Processor Requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Can't upgrade to windows 11 even though my Processor is in the list of supported CPU IntelR...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't upgrade to windows 11 even though my Processor is in the list of supported CPU IntelR...: Can't upgrade to Windows 11 even though my Processor is in the list of supported CPU IntelR CoreTM i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.71 GHz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-upgrade-to-windows-11-even-though-my/000aa39f-dfd5-4de8-a6fb-dff39de7a2ad
  9. Can't upgrade to windows 11 even though my Processor is in the list of supported CPU IntelR...

Can't upgrade to windows 11 even though my Processor is in the list of supported CPU IntelR...: Can't upgrade to Windows 11 even though my Processor is in the list of supported CPU IntelR CoreTM i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.71 GHz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-upgrade-to-windows-11-even-though-my/000aa39f-dfd5-4de8-a6fb-dff39de7a2ad
  10. can I upgrade my all in one 1.0 gh processor and 4 bit and 1 terabyte system windows 8 to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I upgrade my all in one 1.0 gh processor and 4 bit and 1 terabyte system windows 8 to...: I have an Acer Aspire Z all in one its capabilites are 4 and a tarabyte. its has a 1.90 gh processor. it runs windows 8.1 can i jump immeidiately to windows 11....