Windows 10: Upgrading so far - Success

Discus and support Upgrading so far - Success in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Greetings O Great Ones, from the Emerald Isle. Background: I've being using Windows since 3.00a. I had a dual boot set-up with 8.1 and 10240.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015.

1. fjk61011 Win User

Upgrading so far - Success

Greetings O Great Ones, from the Emerald Isle.

Background: I've being using Windows since 3.00a.

I had a dual boot set-up with 8.1 and 10240.

8.1 downloaded the RTM/GA. I have not upgraded this yet.

10240 downloaded only some of the files for the upgrade so I clean installed the RTM/GA from the USB created from Microsoft. This wouldn't accept my 8.1 Pro key so I skipped the two screens for Key Input. When I checked the copy it was activated. WooHoo! I had to fiddle about to get the Fast/Slow ring option.

That's it for now.

Sciurus Winterwolf aka Francis

EDIT: Using update stuck at 2% so I rebooted and it then downloaded drivers for my PC.

EDIT. The above EDIT isn't too clear. After Windows 10 was installed, I used Windows Update on the settings page. This installed drivers as shown by Device Manager. Update stuck at 2% for ages so I rebooted. WU then said it failed to install the drivers that it HAD installed. WU continued till there was no more updates

:)

fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015

2. So far, Windows 10 is 0 for 2 on successful upgrades! :-/

This is the second upgrade I've done and the second one that didn't work right. The first was on an ASUS tablet running windows 8 and it totally lost access to the built in Wi-Fi capability, so I reverted it. This one is on an Asus desktop and has lost
    contact with my Kodak Hero 4.2 all-in-one printer and the taskbar doesn't show any icons. I guess I'll be reverting this one as well.

While I initially liked Window 10, the problems I've had so far tell me that it is not yet ready for prime time.

RalphWilson, Jul 28, 2015
  3. So far NOT so good win 10 upgrade

Even though Microsoft trying to copy all UI from MAC but Microsoft cant touch even the foot of MAC. I have upgrade My VAIO to WIN-10. after clean install my VAIO bootup time increase from 20 Sec to 100 sec. Another issue with Ms Edge. After refreshing any
    page if I minimize the window before loading page then the page shows blank. this happen not just one time but every time.

Today morning when I started my leptop it is showing that internet connection is limited but on my another PC it is working fine, I have to restart my VAIO for internet connectivity.

All apps are closing automatically.

Why this all thing are happening in just 2 days of upgrade to so called best OS ever??????

VikasBhaleriwala, Jul 28, 2015
  4. fjk61011 Win User

My wife has Windows 7 with the Upgrade option button there.

fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015
  5. frankws Win User
    You don't need to wait if the files have not downloaded.
    You can go to Microsoft and install from there.
    I have a new Toshiba Radius 11.6 that no files downloaded to, so I went to the following link and downloaded the "media creation tool" and I'm installing now.
    Windows 10

frankws, Jul 28, 2015
  6. fjk61011 Win User
    Yup, I used that for my PC. I used DISKPART CLEAN to prepare the SSD. I was a bit surprised when I clean installed that the RTM/GA activated.

I upgraded my wife's Windows 7 Ultimate. It took a lot longer than my install. Perhaps an older processor or it had to preserve the existing installed programmes.

I can't find a driver for the Radeon x800 card.

fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015
  7. Nightrise Win User
    My update is stuck on a black screen with a movable cursor, after going past the % page. Any help appreciated

Nightrise, Jul 28, 2015
  8. frankws Win User

I did a win 8.1 update last week that took 2 hours.
    It seemed to be stuck at certain points. I think it was at 12 % for 45 minutes but then continued.
    I read somewhere that it could take 3 hours sometimes.

frankws, Jul 28, 2015
  9. Nightrise Win User
    Rebooted my PC, and after going past the usual loading page I get the same black screen.

Nightrise, Jul 28, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Reporting back.. total success.. now activated! *Dinesh

BunnyJ, Jul 28, 2015
  11. fjk61011 Win User
    Did you Upgrade first and then clean install?

fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I just upgraded,.. right now I don't need to perform a clean install. The upgrade procedure with Win10 works just fine.

BunnyJ, Jul 28, 2015
  13. fjk61011 Win User

I've been reading the Forum. I didn't Upgrade first. I just clean Installed and it's Activated. No one else seems to have had this behaviour.

(Is your Oak Ridge that Oak Ridge of Atom Bomb fame?)

fjk61011, Jul 28, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Good.. glad it activated for you and yes.. we are that Atom Bomb city or as we call it "The Secret City".

BunnyJ, Jul 28, 2015
  15. MoInSTL Win User
    Did the upgrade, then shutdown, disconnected my other drives to be on the safe side, then booted off USB and clean install. Fully activated. Then I wiped my SSD and did it again. No problems.

I was afraid one app would not work. The one that monitors my AIO pump and fans. But it's fine.

MoInSTL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrading so far - Success - Similar Threads - Upgrading far Success

2. Issues with start menu, windows update, etc with no successful fixes so far

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues with start menu, windows update, etc with no successful fixes so far: Hello,I have been having issues with my Windows 10 installation for a few months now. The issues started with not being able to open the start menu or notification pane. I have tried the sfc /scannow command from cmd and powershell as normal user and as administrator as well...
  3. Can I restore backup image without a DVD? So far not successful.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I restore backup image without a DVD? So far not successful.: I created a system image using backup and restore (windows 7) tool on windows10 to an external HDD. Now, I want to restore the system back from it. When I go to system back up, it says "To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery...
  4. BSOD, no ideas so far

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD, no ideas so far: I'm putting my dump file here, pretty desperate for some help. I get the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" crash pretty frequently it seems. I also notice that my machine can't seem to wake up from sleep-mode, as in, it comes to life, but is unresponsive to any input, other than the...
  5. So Far, So Good

in Windows 10 Support
    So Far, So Good: After installing Windows 10 onto my Dell 1545 it appears to run faster than Win-7 and while it will take some time to get used to MS Edge it appears to run faster as well. Learning curve is fair and not too steep. Happy so far. Hopefully I can install the ISO and new GF...
  6. Pretty disappointed so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Pretty disappointed so far: A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are the first OS Microsoft ever made that I liked. I fact I loved 8/8.1. I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my...
  7. Impressed so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Impressed so far: The upgrade had a hiccup but I've been very pleased with Windows 10 so far My observations ... All programs and hardware work with no modifications (was running 8.1) Full screen apps are manageable from standard PC desktop Like the new UI style, multiple desktops, task...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade good so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 upgrade good so far: Well I decided to post how my Windows 10 upgrade went because I felt like I was among the group that was left out from getting anywhere with the upgrade lol. First of all I was like many here who had Windows 10 reserved on this PC but never received the $Windows~BT folder or...
  9. 8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far: Started the upgrade about 10AM, all went well till near the final reboot to the login screen. Display froze though mouse still worked. [img] Let it sit for 45 minutes then dropped power and powered up. Went through same end of install then same hang. Dropped it...
  10. So far so good Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    So far so good Windows10: Installed Windows10 on two ASUS computers one running Win7pro the other 8.1,both installed Win10 without a problem. All files and installed programs were there after the instillation. Even my very old Paint Shop Pro 7 used on an XD computer again is working. But on the 8.1...