Windows 10: Upgrading to latest build on Windows 10 running on usb hard drive.

Discus and support Upgrading to latest build on Windows 10 running on usb hard drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Folks, I have installed Windows 10 on a portable usb HDD and it running great except it is not allowing me to upgrade to the latest insider... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sammy1881, Jul 7, 2016.

1. sammy1881 Win User

Upgrading to latest build on Windows 10 running on usb hard drive.

Hi Folks,

I have installed Windows 10 on a portable usb HDD and it running great except it is not allowing me to upgrade to the latest insider preview build. Is there any other(manual) way of doing it ?

Appreciate your help.

:)

sammy1881, Jul 7, 2016

2. Win 10 Nov update hang at 84% Configuring Settings 36%

Winbook with 32GB C drive. The hard drive is too small for the latest Windows 10 Build. You can install the earlier build bit not the latest one! Microsoft need to sort out the problem where the hard drive is so small.

Gerry C J Cornell, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Ptarthur Win User
    Unable to Update or Clean Install Windows 10 to Current Version on ASUS G73SW Laptop

I've been struggling with getting the latest version of Windows 10 on my ASUS G73SW Laptop since around mid December 2016 when I replaced the hard drive. Prior to this, I had been running Windows 10 since it was released to the public with no significant
    issues. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 during the free upgrade period. I am not certain which version of Windows 10 I was running prior to replacing the hard drive however I believe it was at least the Anniversary Update as I was able to add
    extensions to the Edge Browser and from what I have read the Anniversary Update is required for that ability.

After replacing the hard drive I attempted to preform a clean install the latest version of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool with a USB drive. I ensured that nothing other than the USB was connected to the laptop during the install. The install
    progressed to the point of the Finishing Up Stage and stalled out at that point with the Microsoft Logo on the screen and a circle of rotating dots. The system remained in that state for 8 hours with no hard drive light activity. I had identical results
    when I attempted a clean install with DVD media.

I then tried a clean install of an older version of Windows 10 (Version 10.0 Build 10240) that I had available on a USB drive and this install was successful however I was unable to update to the current version of Windows 10 with similar indications as
    described above during the first clean install attempt. Since then I have attempted multiple times to clean install different versions of Windows 10 from a USB drive and each time after the clean install failed I was always able to get Version 10.0 Build
    10240 to successfully clean install.

Finally last week I was successful in getting Version 1511 Build 10586.753 to install on my laptop however all attempts at updating to the current version have been unsuccessful with similar indications as with the original clean install however I did get
    an error message on the screen indicating" 0xC1900101-0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the Boot operation.

Is there anything else I can do at this point to get the latest version of Windows 10 on my laptop?

Ptarthur, Jul 7, 2016
Thema:

Upgrading to latest build on Windows 10 running on usb hard drive.

1. Upgrading to latest build on Windows 10 running on usb hard drive. - Similar Threads - Upgrading latest build

2. Some Windows 10 clients not upgrading to latest build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Windows 10 clients not upgrading to latest build: Hi,I need to upgrade all the Windows 10 pro systems to latest build 19045. By hardly finding releated missed packages and approving them in WSUS in some time they are upgraded. Some of them are upgraded by running Windows update asistant. Some are done by finding the releated...
  3. Some Windows 10 clients not upgrading to latest build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Windows 10 clients not upgrading to latest build: Hi,I need to upgrade all the Windows 10 pro systems to latest build 19045. By hardly finding releated missed packages and approving them in WSUS in some time they are upgraded. Some of them are upgraded by running Windows update asistant. Some are done by finding the releated...
  4. Some Windows 10 clients not upgrading to latest build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10: Hello, I replaced an old HDD drive with SSD drive. I had a Windows 7 home edition on old hard disk. Now I am trying to re-use the same product key on Windows 10 installed fresh on new SSD. It is not allowing me to enter. Because it has different format and number of...
  6. Upgraded to latest build of windows 10 and can't sin in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Upgraded to latest build of windows 10 and can't sin in.: I just updated to latest build of windows 10 (1903). Now I have to login using my Microsoft account username and password. I keep getting message that password is incorrect. I've tried changing it 4 times from my tablet and can signin to Microsoft account, so new password...
  7. Hard drive run on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive run on.: Can anyone tell me why my hard drive runs almost continuously on my Windows 10 Home Edition Build 180914 rs5 release 180914-1434 and how do I fix it. Its a home built Desktop with a 1.0 TB Western Digital SATA hard drive. My Lenovo Laptop with basically the same system...
  8. USB Hard Drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Hard Drive with Windows 10: I have a Western Digital Elements external USB drive and whenever I plug it in I have to manually assign it a letter, which in itself is frustrating but manageable. The real problem is if I disconnect the drive and plug it back in, I need to assign it again, however the...
  9. Windows 10 hard drive constantly running

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hard drive constantly running: Hi. I have a 6 month old computer running windows 10. Ever since new I have noticed that the hard drive seems to be almost constantly working. This happens in sleep mode, and also at night. How can I stop the things incessant chattering without unplugging it?...
  10. Latest Windows 10 build upgrade stuck at 40%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Latest Windows 10 build upgrade stuck at 40%: I downloaded the latest windows 10 update on my dell venue pro 11 last night and it is stuck at the copying files/installing features and drivers phase at 40%/23% respectively. I checked there was around 14gb free disk space after the update was downloaded. I have a sd card...