Windows 10: upgrading to official Win 10 when released

Discus and support upgrading to official Win 10 when released in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a desktop with Win 8.1 and I am planning to put on it Win 10 TP. When the official Win 10 is released, will I be able to just update the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dudley, Apr 4, 2015.

1. dudley Win User

upgrading to official Win 10 when released

I have a desktop with Win 8.1 and I am planning to put on it Win 10 TP. When the official Win 10 is released, will I be able to just update the desktop with it without reinstalling all the applications? I presume so but I would like to verify, thank you.

:)

dudley, Apr 4, 2015

2. windows 10 mobile

Almost one month when Microsoft release win 10 mobile official and still no update for lumia 640 DS .When we will get upgrade to win 10 for real?

sorinjecan, Apr 4, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Brand new laptop, factory-installed Windows 10 won't update to version 1511, 10586

Contact HP Support. It could be a problem with the hardware, but even software problems are covered for the first month.

Edit: re-reading your post--you do not have access to the free upgrade to win 10. You already have windows 10 so there is nothing to upgrade. The free upgrade is for win 8.1. You will get the new releases automatically when they are available thru windows
    update. There have not been any official win 10 updates for a while now. 1511 is the release in use now.

mlg63, Apr 4, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

It's impossible to know for sure, but that seems to be the way it's progressing.

Whether or not you SHOULD do that is a different story, since multiple upgrades tend to leave beta junk behind....

Mystere, Apr 4, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Upgrades have always been iffy. Maybe you want to reconsider that. A clean install has a lot less gremlins.

6. Follow the rules of Beta testing and NEVER put any Beta version of an OS on your PC, over the top of your main and legal OS.

In most cases, there is NO reversing that move. Even Microsoft tells you NOT to do that.

Be safe..... not sorry!

The only safe way to go from one OS to a newer one, is to back up all your data and do a clean install of the new OS.

*Cool

TechnoMage, Apr 4, 2015
  7. dudley Win User
    Thanks for all the great answers. I will defer with the installation. Can't wait to get the official release!

dudley, Apr 4, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

You can still test the preview builds. Put it into a virtual machine. That is really handy. Here is how.

Thema:

1. upgrading to official Win 10 when released - Similar Threads - upgrading official released

2. When is the file explorer tab going to be released officially?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When is the file explorer tab going to be released officially?: I'm eagerly waiting for this update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-is-the-file-explorer-tab-going-to-be-released/842abfea-9a98-4880-bce8-f26df7db98cb
  3. When is the file explorer tab going to be released officially?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When is the file explorer tab going to be released officially?: I'm eagerly waiting for this update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-is-the-file-explorer-tab-going-to-be-released/842abfea-9a98-4880-bce8-f26df7db98cb
  4. when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially: when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-release-windows-11-version/9e6f1fdc-ff1c-4c0f-9c9e-cb591a4864b5
  5. when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially: when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-release-windows-11-version/9e6f1fdc-ff1c-4c0f-9c9e-cb591a4864b5
  6. Got "Windows 10 installation has failed." when installing the official release.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Got "Windows 10 installation has failed." when installing the official release.: Got "Windows 10 installation has failed." when installing the official release. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/got-windows-10-installation-has-failed-when/59761b47-e15c-4453-bc11-b0bf217d97ce
  7. Buggy official releases

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Buggy official releases: I wonder sometimes. If MS go so through such rigorous insider testing, and their own testing and debugging... do we still get official releases with so many bugs? Surely issues should be ironed out before public release? I know they put an artificial time restraint on new...
  8. DL win 10 anniversary update before official release

in Windows 10 Support
    DL win 10 anniversary update before official release: Will the anniversary update be available before its official release? I know sometimes the gold master versions are released several days early. 57354
  9. Win 10 release- Win 10 pre release

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 release- Win 10 pre release: Now that my regular PC running WIN 8.1 pro has been updated to Win 10 Pro how to I update my Win 10 PC to the new Win 10 Release! 13294
  10. Have Microsoft released official Iso's for win 10 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Have Microsoft released official Iso's for win 10 ?: Hi Giuys Have Microsoft released official Iso's for win 10 ? Ifso does anyone have the links. Thanks 9328